The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' Cruiser right for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travhale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: 22' Cruiser right for me? Reply with quote

I'm searching for a boat that allows for multiday trips along the Gulf Coast from LA to Florida. I've come across the C-Dory, and it seems to check a lot of boxes. Would mainly be used to island hop and fish the barrier islands, with some offshore trips for snapper etc. on calm days. I'm aware that prices have gone up for these boats due to demand, but I'm looking to keep the purchase around 40K. I'd prefer to purchase a boat that needs repower and is priced accordingly. Am I dreaming, or is this doable?

Also, does anyone have experience with a 22' Cruiser in the Gulf of Mexico? How does it perform? Have you spent nights anchored along the barrier islands- how was your experience?
travhale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probly should have posted this in General Chat.. please move if needed.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the C-Dory 22 Cruiser is the perfect vessel for what you are thinking about doing.
Don't know anything about the Gulf of Mexico, but you'll find that the 22 has gone from Seattle to Alaska on the Inside Passage and also around Vancouver Island, the ICW, West Coast and East Coast.
It is a boat that you can fish, cruise and live on very economically.
I'm sure others will chime in, but you will be hard pressed to find a boat that will check all those boxes.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I happen to actually live on the Gulf Coast, upper Perdido Bay. The C Dory is a semi dory hull. It has very little deadrise. Thus the boat will tend to pound if you drive it into chop-you can bear off a little, and the ride will be fine--Also I consider it necessary to have both trim tabs and a Permatrim foil to get the bow down when in chop. If you want a better ride into chop then consider a Contender or Regulator, which have a 24 to 26* deadrise. (but no cabin)

There have been a number of C Dorys used along this coast. One has gone from Brownsville to Key West (and beyond, up the East Coast of FL. Multiple 22's have done the Great Loop. This includes going across the "big bend" are of FL.

The boat is easily trailered and launched.

Generally 22's don't sell as fast, and may cost a little less than in the PNW. I find the shelter of the cabin to be not an issue, as long as you can open the middle window on the windshield, and side windows to give good ventilation.

For sleeping during the hottest part of the year, a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner in this front window will cool the interior off enough; These will run on a Honda 1,000 generator. If there is a good breeze, then opening the forward hatch, gives adequate ventilation. Yes, I have spent many nights anchored along the barrier Islands, and have gone from LA to Apalachicola multiple times.

Although we have a center console catamaran we use mostly for fishing (faster and better ride) the C Dory lends itself well for fishing.

You may be spending a long time looking for a boat needing repower. You must be ready to travel, and the make an offer if a good boat comes up. I have bought all of my used boats at least 1000 miles from Pensacola. The Tom Cat 255 was purchased in Apalachicola.

If you want more info, or want to talk about our local conditions, send me a PM, and I'll give my phone number.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
travhale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway, thanks for the info and offers.

I've read that permatrim in addition to trim tabs is the setup to have on these boats. We have considered other boats, but ultimately want something economical to run, and a decent cabin for shelter and sleeping. I kayak fish along Perdido, and camp at the end of Johnson Beach on weekend trips to the coast when I can make it happen. I also spend a lot of time on Dauphin Island.. so i'm well aware of the heat and bugs lol. I think we'd be looking to install an A/C and portable gen., to make the time spent as comfortable as possible.

Being that we are landlocked up here in Birmingham, we are looking for some adventure on the water and out of the hustle and bustle. I grew up on the Gulf Coast from Bonita Springs Florida to Pascagoula Mississippi, and my better half is from Savannah Georgia--we both miss the salt--lakes just don't do it for us. This all started when I put a deposit down on a skiff build last year with a 13month wait time. As we waited, we started wondering... why not buy a boat we can spend extended time on and not be limited by lodging.. so here we are.

Can these boats be towed safely with a medium sized truck? I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4-x, and am hoping to not have to purchase a larger tow vehicle.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travhale wrote:
Thataway, thanks for the info and offers.

. . .
Can these boats be towed safely with a medium sized truck? I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4-x, and am hoping to not have to purchase a larger tow vehicle.

You will find as much information and as many opinions as you care to investigate by searching the site (box in the upper left of the page) for something like: vehicle towing 22.

A few examples of threads:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26668
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=12558
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=29502
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28935

rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are sad to report that we are selling DUCK our C-Dory 22. Roger usually works this site so it may take a few days to get it posted correctly. Thanks, Mary Ellen--the wife that loves this boat as well.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lived in Ocean Springs, MS for 22 years and boated around the barrier islands in trailer boats from 18ft (camping) to the TC255. If you can camp on Johnson beach, you can enjoy a CD22.

The downside of the flatter hull pounding in chop is really negated by the upside increase in economy in calm water. During the spring to fall boating season, the bays get choppy with the diurnal sun heating (max around 3PM, inland thunderstorms at 5-6PM may head north or south). At sunrise and after sunset all often becomes calm again.

We would launch before 9AM, stay out a few days, and return in the early morning (rather than after dark, even though it’s only 9 miles from the OS ramp to Horn Island, our favorite). We would often beach the boat on an outgoing tide for the night so we’d have no worries about dragging anchor into the ICW or hull slap or wakes or sinking or rocking. Using various strategies to avoid rough waters can make the CD22 ideal for many economical adventures.

If you launch at Big Lagoon State Park, FL you’ll have the protection of Johnson Beach and most days could go east to Ft Pickens (all part of Gulf Islands National Seashore, as well as Horn, Petis Bois, East and West Ship stretching all the way to Gulfport, MS). The western end of Dauphin Is is a wildlife sanctuary, but not part of GINS. Dogs are prohibited on the beach in GINS with a $70 per dog fine if ‘the heat’ catches you.

Sebastien and crew on the CD22 Kittiwake are on a Loop segment on the TennTom north of Coffeeville, headed to a Mobile take-out. If they are like us an offer of dinner and a bottle of wine might get you a boat tour.

Good luck in your hunt!

John

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travhale wrote:
... Can these boats be towed safely with a medium sized truck? I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4-x, and am hoping to not have to purchase a larger tow vehicle.

I tow my 22 with a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder (essentially the same as the Frontier) without any issues. It does the job nicely.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing would depend on the specific truck:
Quote:
The base Nissan Frontier can tow up to 3,500 pounds with its four-cylinder engine. When equipped with two-wheel drive and a V6 engine, the King Cab Frontier SV can tow as much as 6,500 pounds.

The 22 is going to be at least 4500 lbs in most configurations. You want brakes on both axles if tandem trailer.

With your needs the C Dory 22 would be an ideal boat.
travhale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the detailed info. If I end up in the c-dory, i'm sure i'll be picking your brains some more.

My truck has a 6300lb towing capacity, so I would think keeping speeds around 60-65 should be ok in most situations. I see electronic brakes are also recommended.

My family used to run fishing boats out of Pascagoula MS., and when I was a kid, we'd run the skiff from the anchored main boat onto the islands to gig flounder at night.. usually Petit Bois or Horn Island. I have fond memories with my uncle and grandfather who are no longer with us out there, so I've got quite a bit of nostalgic motivation to make this all happen.

Are the Chandeleur Islands still worth the trek out to them? They were beautiful when I was growing up, but I understand that storms have taken a huge toll on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: