The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Roof Rack for Tomcat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flboy77

City/Region: Sarasota
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Roof Rack for Tomcat Reply with quote

Hey Everyone

I wanted to check in with everyone who owns a 25 tomcat and see what they've used for a roof rack? We're looking for something we can use to stow stuff on the roof of the boat. I figured there must be something out there that can attach to the grab rails that run from the front of the roof to the back.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flboy77,

What kind of ‘stuff’ do you plan to store up there?

Most TC255’s have radar and a rooftop AC, which doesn’t leave much room left over. I’ve seen Yakima and Thule racks on other C-Dorys.

We value those safety rails for grab rails and would never, ever sacrifice them for Thule storage bins. Our never used Saturn 12 ft inflatable dinghy won’t get use anytime soon to heave on the roof, at 53 pounds it’s too heavy.

We find the TC255 has plenty of storage inside for adventures up to 1,200 miles or six weeks. Are you using the forward berth access hatches for the crash compartments in the forward portion of each sponson? Ours are blocked off from the bilge and bone dry and hold a lot of rarely used stuff.

On longer cruises we use two 35 qt thin wall Engel dry boxes with drilled eye bolts to hold them up and out of the cockpit. Mainly, that just decreases the ‘density’ of inside compartment storage.

A clear bag the size of a paper bag for each of us holds all our clothes (except rain gear and a jacket) for six weeks with a laundromat run every 4-6 days. High tech, light wgt travel wear from Ex Officio, Travel Smith, etc can be washed in the marina shower and dried in the boat.

Granted, we have nine years practice with all this on this boat, plus the 12 preceding trailer boats over the past 40 years we’ve run trailer boats together.

I’ m surprised you don’t have plenty of storage room inside a TC255 for adventures of 1,200 miles or six weeks.

We’ll be at Pink Shell Resort and Marina again Jan 25 (after the Looper Rendezvous) until the Hontoon Hoot Rendezvous in March. Hope you and any others in the area then can meet up with us for docktails or lunch!

John and Eileen

flboy77

City/Region: Sarasota
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John:

I was thinking it could be a good place to stow things when we are anchored to maybe clear up some clutter on the decks. Figured it would be a good place to maybe put the generator when not using it, maybe some water jugs and stuff like that to get them out of the way. I was also thinking of the possibility of attaching paddle board racks up there for our boards.

We have a regular marine air conditioner and not a roof top unit. The bridge clearance leaving our canal is to close for a permanent unit on top. We also don't have our radar hooked up so basically our roof is bare.

I haven't seen any other c-dory boats around here in Sarasota or cruising the area yet. It's funny because people who see the boat always wanna check it out. I'm not sure we can make it down to Ft Myers that time of year since we both still work full time but it would be nice to meet other c-dory owners and see other boats.

Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: