The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Motor/battery problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Motor/battery problem. Reply with quote

I went to start my Honda BF90 yesterday and when I turned the key nothing happened. The green light didn't even light on the ignition key. The volt meter would go up to a little over 12 volts. I went back and turned the battery switch to emergency parallel and received the same response. The weird thing is I was easily able to power lift and lower the motor and it didn't sound like the batteries were drained. So I started the kicker motor up (pull start) and let her run for about 5 minutes. I was able to start the main afterwards. I have two batteries, one for the house and one for the main. I have a BEP VSR module as seen here http://www.bepmarine.com/showcategory.cfm?categoryid=154 that is supposed to completely isolate the the main battery. I have the optima batteries and I did use the boat a few weeks before yesterday so I am not sure how the batteries lost enough juice to not start the motor but still be able to lift and lower it?? Any ideas on what went wrong?

The only thing I did recently was installed a navman fuel flow meter on it's own circuit breaker/switch. The unit won't come on unless I flip the switch on. I also wired my TR-1 directly to the house battery per the instructions. Can't see how these would drain the batteries.

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of sounds like a bad cable connection between the battery and the engine, one end or the other.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with llyods. pull off all you battery connentions and clean them. it does not take a lot of gunk to stop you from starting the motor. also try some protective gel for the post and connections.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker-

Who installed the isolator? Do or did they fully understand it's function and where in the various circuits it was to be inserted?

Sounds like maybe the solenoid in the starter didn't have enough voltage to close the circuit. The tilt and trim motors probably don't have such a relay and aren't as voltage sensitive.

A lot of electronic (vs electric) devices are solid state these days and have minimum cut off voltages below which nothing happens at all.

Lloyds may be on to something when he suggests you have a simple loose connection.

As Dogon Dan once suggested, some perplexing problems are more often a case of simple connectivity rather than the Devil having been at work Haywiring the Universe and Creating Chaos!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check the connections for gunk and being loose. The was new in September. I bought it from EQ Marine and they installed the the switch. I have not had trouble with it until yesterday. Of course I keep running through what "I" might have done with my wiring of the navman and tr-1 but really can't think of how that would effect the other battery. I'll also have to get a multimeter to check for any current drain but all of that is new to me. Maybe it's time to buy a "batteries for dumbies" book. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: