The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda gen location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trebleplink

City/Region: Bowling Green
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cscape
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Honda gen location Reply with quote

I'm adding a EU1000i (29 lb inverter generator) to my 16 cruiser (CPAP and some 500w DRY heat)

Considering noise and co2 safety, where is the best location?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda gen location Reply with quote

trebleplink wrote:
I'm adding a EU1000i (29 lb inverter generator) to my 16 cruiser (CPAP and some 500w DRY heat)

Considering noise and co2 safety, where is the best location?

Don't know about the 16, but on my 22 the Honda 1000 goes on a folding step stool (to elevate it) on the swim step. I added hold downs to the step and the generator and stool are secured with a ratchet strap.

Before deploying this setup, the stool and generator have a line secured to a cleat to prevent things being lost overboard during setup and retrieval.

Step stool is similar to this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Folding-Step-Stool/38437780

Haven't tried using the gen for heat, I use it to run a air conditioner. I have an external 3 gallon tank for the generator (easy conversion) for extended running.

I use a propane heater when it is cold.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 22, with put the generator on top of a milk crate, with a plywood board with detents for the generator feet, and blocks to keep the plywood centered on the crate. There were bungee cords holding the whole works in place.

The 16 without a sold bulkhead and door is more likely to leak CO forward. Be sure and have at least 3 CO monitors. One by pilots head, one by navigator's head and one where your head would rest when sleeping.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ensure that the exhaust is ducted out and over the gunnel or lowest part of the splashwell. Yes on the CO detectors as Bob said.

Another option for the CPAP is to go with 12 VDC battery power. There are several of us that do that in different ways. I personally use an old Respironics machine that has a direct 12vdc plug so I can run it directly from the boat battery via a Cig plug. That is a much more efficient use of 12V power that running it through an inverter. Running a gen set, seems over kill for a single CPAP. Maybe break even for 2 running at the same time. Or running CPAP and a fridge or your 500 watt heater should be good.

Another option is a portable power system like a Jackery

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083KBKJ8Q?tag=highlightreviews-72025-20
OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082TMBYR6?tag=highlightreviews-72025-20

more expensive but good power for 3+ night of average CPAP use --> moderate pressures for 6-7 hours use per night.

All the best,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

trebleplink

City/Region: Bowling Green
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cscape
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - I was also thinking of a riser on the ladder seat, exhausting away from the boat.

I used to have two batteries and deploy 200 watts of solar panels to run various things, but now I have just one 100ah battery and a fixed mount 50 watt solar panel.

I used propane heat in the cold season, but it was impractical to leave it on all night, and it created a lot of humidity - everything was damp with the windows fogged.

The cpap is a System One that runs off of a 12 volt power supply. I suspect much of the energy draw is for the water heater, but it uses 1.1 amps at 120 vac, with a .55 power factor - about 75 true watts. That's about 5 or 6 amps at 12 volts. I don't see my solar powering it especially in cloudy weather. I'll place it on the table behind the helm to keep the intake high up - co2 sinks.

So. I made the jump to the small generator, which was a giant leap in available energy. AND I'm putting together a 120 vac electric heater that can be set to 600, 400, or 200 watts. I also have a switching 12 volt power supply that is good for up to 50 amps charging. ($30 on ebay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/165169753480

This is the quietest generator I've seen, and when lightly loaded, runs 6 hours on .55 gallons. I have a cap adapter that lets it suck fuel from one of my two 10 gallon tanks.

Chris

[/url]
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, You are right about the power draw for teh heater on the CPAP. And you can use the CPAP without the heater turned on (with water in it) or you can use the unit dry, no water in the heater chamber. (That is how I use my PAP on the boat.) If you notice increased dryness, you can use a spray bottle of saline spray for nasal hydration. That will save you about half of your CPAP power draw.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: