City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
My impression is that the I pad Pro, (mine is a couple of years old) is quite accurate GPS.

Some DMA charts are still based on surveys done in the 1800's...Surprisingly accurate--but occasionally major features are not on the chart. We found a sea mount off the coast of Panama with out depth sounder. We sailed back and forth over it, to get some extent of the area--got a fairly good position, and turned it over to NOAA. They did include it on later edition charts.

We "found" another "peak" in the Med--boat's keel was on it for a fairly brief period of time (7 foot draft)--in 2 to 3' seas with white caps. It was not on DMA (Defense Mapping Agency), but was on British Admarility Charts. Why DMA didn't have a feature that was on BAC is beyond me...

There was one DMA chart available in the 80's (haven't checked recently) which had some sketches and embellishments by the artist Whistler on it.

The problem we have had is not in overall accuracy but in signal reception. The ipad is usually fine but from time to time lags in fixing a position and often shows us facing the wrong direction. It just seems to struggle sometimes to hit those satellites. No issues with the charts or accuracy when it is working. Sometimes I want to check my position RIGHT NOW and it puts me on hold. Maybe I just get impatient! It usually corrects itself in less time than it would take to pull out a paper chart and compass and check a position, so in that regard it may also be my generational expectations of gps systems (read: lack of experience 😂)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my two cents. The plotter you have is fine. Mine is a c80 from 2005? or so as is my radar. I would not buy new until you use the boat a year and see what you need or like. There is always a better faster cooler unit on the market. And really the chart plotter part is my lease concern. Depth finder and radar are far more important in the area you are going to be boating in. A chart plotter, at best, is a resemblance of reality ( stored info of questionable accuracy) . Where a deep finder and radar is reality and far more useful.

Of More importance is the ability to communicate when in trouble. Old radios are great as long as the connections and antennae is working properly and clean connection. Take apart all your connections and clean them. a hand held is a great safety item on any boat.

How you getting to shore? start thinking about it. kayaks are great ( which we have) but for a dog ( depending on size and breed) a dinghy is better. I much prefer the dinghies with a blow up floor and keel. Far easier to row then any flat floor unit. I have had both and you could not give me the latter.

as for the Water fuel separator. buy this You want one that you can drain the fuel at the bottom, mount where you can get to it but not in the motor well as it will rust. buy extra filters and keep one on the boat. Change it every year whether you want to or not and you will never have a problem. You can get shorter ones also if space is a problem.

Well I hope that is useful and puts the thread back on track and away from the paper chart( dont go there) mfd ( Yes) and Ipad/anypad (only as a backup and not your primary) debate. Which i just answered any way. Many new MFDs have wifi or bluetooth so a phone or pad can be used as a second station. Helps cut cost if you want a unit on the back deck for fishing as I have.

See you on the water I hope.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to echo what Tom said. My C-120 (now called a Classic Disgust Hummm, wonder if RayMarine had that planned all along when they just used the letter C in that series,) Works just fine with rare issues, and so far, nothing that has been insurmountable to get it returned to normal operating status. With Tom, my radar and sounder are the same age as my plotter and all work together just fine. (All my other electronics, VHF's, AP, and AIS are all newer, and all continue to work as expected.)

I have thought about updating, but somewhere down the road, I am going to sell my boat (NO,NOT NOW Smile and if I change the electronics to Simrad, for instance, or whatever brand, and the list the boat, I just eliminated the prospective buyers that don't want Simrad or whatever else I chose to put in. So, Will I take a hit for old electronics, maybe some, If the boat is turn key to cruise, not so much, and I still have working electronics. Might be the same deal with the outboards, with the same response. So . . . .

Use what you have, until you get a chance to decide what you like and don't like, and then search for the best deal on your choice electronics. I totally agree with Tom, the VHFs (note plural there) need to be high quality, and high performance. The VHF was the first thing I changed on my boat. The PO was a primarily a fisherman and so had little to no use for a noise box disturbing his quality time on the end of a rod. SO he put in the smallest, cheapest, (and almost worthless) VHF on the market. It qualified as a VHF radio because it said VHF on the front. I added a second fully functional (Auto fog and hailer) VHF and then replaced that little worthless piece soon after that, giving me 2 VHF's one with AIS receive which was brand new at that time.

Priorities. Base on safety first, function next and feel good somewhere after that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice on equipment but what surprises me about the thread is that not more attention is being paid to the “coziness” that 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog and all the necessities will result in. V berth for 2, dinette for 2 and sole for the dog maybe? Even with cockpit space I would think that crabbing gear, dog food, cooler, pots, maybe the porta potty, would take up a little space and the roof night have a dinghy on it now. One thing about the interior size limitations is the need to move somebody or something to accomplish most tasks. I did about 5 or 6 long weekends with just my wife over 11 years and that was plenty for me. She was running the hair dryer while I needed the coffee maker plugged in but she was sitting on the compartment it was in. I suppose some of you will know the secret to comfortable coexistence but in the morning my boat always looked like burglars had ransacked it during the night. Don’t step on Fido in the dark and you kids quit that fighting! I think you’re going to need a bigger boat, lol. Now I’ll sit back and prepare to be convinced otherwise. More power to ya if you get it done.

It's something in the water!
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
. I suppose some of you will know the secret to comfortable coexistence but in the morning my boat always looked like burglars had ransacked it during the night. Don’t step on Fido in the dark and you kids quit that fighting! I think you’re going to need a bigger boat, lol. Now I’ll sit back and prepare to be convinced otherwise. More power to ya if you get it done.

Well, my secret was marrying a woman who spent the first 18 years of her life living aboard a boat with two parents, two brothers and a dog. When we bought our first boat she only had two demands, the only wood could be a flag staff, and the cleats had to be beefy. We've been married over 60 years and still miss our 16 footers.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Fairbro wrote:
. I suppose some of you will know the secret to comfortable coexistence but in the morning my boat always looked like burglars had ransacked it during the night. Don’t step on Fido in the dark and you kids quit that fighting! I think you’re going to need a bigger boat, lol. Now I’ll sit back and prepare to be convinced otherwise. More power to ya if you get it done.

Well, my secret was marrying a woman who spent the first 18 years of her life living aboard a boat with two parents, two brothers and a dog. When we bought our first boat she only had two demands, the only wood could be a flag staff, and the cleats had to be beefy. We've been married over 60 years and still miss our 16 footers.

Congratulations Marty. What you did, do and say makes good sense CoolSmile

As to 2+2+1 on a boat, there are others here who do that , and get along. My advice would be to try short trips first. Find places for everything on the boat and then keep them there. Back in early sailing days I had a Montgomery 15, and we (2) would spend weekends, and occasionally a week at a time on it. Daytimes, the birth was stuffed with food box, cooler, and clothes bags, at night that all went into the cockpit and we got in there to sleep. When we moved onto a 22 footer, it was like moving from a V dub bug into a grayhound bus.

Learn as you go, do what works.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

There are good MFD by Garmin (and others) which are not that expensive, have charts for both rivers and coastal waters. $500 will buy:
Quote:
Garmin® ECHOMAP™ UHD 63cv Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combo with a bright, sunlight-readable 6" display. The included GT24 transducer provides Ultra High-Definition ClearVü scanning sonar for crystal-clear images of what's below your boat, along with Garmin high wide CHIRP traditional sonar for remarkable target separation. Preloaded LakeVü g3 inland maps with integrated Navionics® data cover more than 17,000 lakes with up to 1' contours

Only a hundred or so dollars more, you can find a larger MFD with both inland and coastal waters.

I just looked at that Garmin online. The $500 will indeed buy the chartplotter with a transducer and the lake chart card (micro SD?). The one with the Bluechart G3 is $599, but not both coastal and lakes, and when you move beyond the 6" display the price goes up. $750 for the 7" and $1,200 for the 9".

Our iPad is plenty bright, we never had an issue with that. We also have never experienced any lag with it acquiring satellites. We have Aquamap, and we bought it when it came with lifetime chart updates for both coastal waters and rivers but not lakes (I think, going from memory here), and for the time being at least the C-80 is still functional for depth, odometer (or whatever you call it on the water), and as a chartplotter with old chart cards from California to Alaska. Chart features here do not change nearly as much as they do on the ICW with its ever-changing depths and hazards due to shoaling!

Now, for someone who does not already have an iPad with a GPS and the deal we have on Aquamap (they seem to have gone to a subscription chart update basis now), the Garmin would probably be the right choice. Not so much for us, but we would have to look at that Garmin if/when the C-80 outright dies.

Daydream is already tucked away in the garage for the winter, so we have some time to ponder options in any event.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: