The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

60hp on a 16’ C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: 60hp on a 16’ C-Dory Reply with quote

I’m looking at buying a 1988 16 footer that needs repowering. I have a line on a used 2011 Mercury 60hp 4-stroke outboard and was wondering if this is too much motor. Is anyone else running 60hp on this boat? Assuming the weight of the motor is manageable, what would be the downside? The rating plate on the boat says 55hp max, but is 5hp more enough to quibble over? Thx in advance.
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you will find is NO DEALER will hang it. They are afraid of the liability. So, if you buy the motor and hang it yourself you will be OK. That said…..if you are ever involved in a on water accident the opposing attorney will fillet you if they get the chance.

I think it would be tough to insure, but that’s just an assumption.

I’d call your agent and see if it’s okay first.

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx kcohen4, I hadn’t thought of those things.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcohen4 wrote:
What you will find is NO DEALER will hang it. They are afraid of the liability. So, if you buy the motor and hang it yourself you will be OK. That said…..if you are ever involved in a on water accident the opposing attorney will fillet you if they get the chance.

I think it would be tough to insure, but that’s just an assumption.

I’d call your agent and see if it’s okay first.

You're probably right that dealers would be reluctant. But in regards to being in a heap of trouble in an accident, they would have to prove that the engine's 5 extra hp caused the accident, or at least contributed to the accident and that would not be a slam dunk by any means. That is if there ever even is an accident.....which there probably won't be. Many of the claims anyway are bumps and bruises at slow speeds where hp doesn't matter. Anyway, just my perspective and your waters to navigate. Calling your agent is a good idea, but I'm not sure they will actually be knowledgeable. I know mine is not - complete idiot as far as boats go.

If it were my boat I wouldn't even think twice about putting the 60hp on it that is already paid for and runs well unless it is a big heavy pig that impacts the boat's handling. In that case, I would just sell the 60 and buy a new 50 hp engine of your choosing and enjoy years of trouble free boating. They really are not very hard to rig by the way, but they do take some tools, effort, and knowhow. I would have it done on a Friday night after work and be out on the water Saturday morning - probably with a huge grin on my face.
Alan

City/Region: Endicott
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Katyusha
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t try the case here.

60% of the Supreme Court decisions are decided 5-4.

Do you feel lucky?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: