The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Acoustics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, That was back in my "Awesome" daze Shocked

Didn't want to scare the patients away.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Smitty.io

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Smitty.io 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam won’t do much to deaden the sound, let alone a single piece of sheet rock or coatings. I have had a recording studio for 20 years and the way I insulated my control room from the “live” room with drums and amps etc. was to install two walls with three pieces of varying thickness sheet rock on each with a 3 foot dead space that was airtight.

I think the on ear would be a cheaper, lighter way to go. The acoustic foam only provides a little high end frequency absorption, usually for reducing reverb on microphones.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty.io wrote:
Foam won’t do much to deaden the sound, let alone a single piece of sheet rock or coatings. I have had a recording studio for 20 years and the way I insulated my control room from the “live” room with drums and amps etc. was to install two walls with three pieces of varying thickness sheet rock on each with a 3 foot dead space that was airtight.

I think the on ear would be a cheaper, lighter way to go. The acoustic foam only provides a little high end frequency absorption, usually for reducing reverb on microphones.

In boats the "Sound Down" type of material is used, and that has a layer of acoustic foam, then lead laced material to decouple and damp low frequencies, then a layer of thicker foam, finally Mylar material...But I would don't coat the entire interior of a boat with that.

I sold a house to a friend who did live radio broadcasts from the "office building'--we floated the floor, with foam under, also lead sheeting, than a thick carpet. The walls, had bats of fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and walls all of the way around. The inner walls, had foil, then foam, lead material, and then 4" of dimpled foam. It was as close to "silent" as I have heard.

We used the Sound Down material to sound isolate main engines on hatches, and on enclosures for the generator.

Sound Down web site.

We have used "Fish Blanket" a PVC foam for both sound and temperature lining the entire hull, then putting on the ceiling, covered with 1/8" "door skins", and a 3/32" PVC perforated hull liner material. Another boat, A friend had material left over from a high end insulating job. We put in 3/4" closed cell neoprene (Like wet suit material), and then glued a surplus sheeting from Douglas aircraft inner hull (was cabin lining for DC aircraft)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Smitty.io

City/Region: Santa Cruz
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Smitty.io 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the max you get putting any effort in to deadening the sound, you might get a 10 decibel reduction with the engine being so close to the cabin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 22, the forward wall of the splash well is pretty low. I noticed a reduction in engine noise when I ran with my cooler hanging from the cross bar at the front of the splash well. At the time (and still am) running the Yamaha 40's (twins) that were rated as the quietest 409 on the market at the time. Between the cooler and the cabin door being closed, the OM sound was barely perceptible. (But then, my cruising speed is barely perceptible to some Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

travhale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried applying sound dampening material inside the engine cowling to reduce noise? I've also seen some commercial boats with an outboard motor shroud built onto the transom that provides a barrier between the engine and cockpit. Mounting a large cooler on transom like was mentioned previously likely does something similar albeit less effectively.
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Chester wrote:
I'd look into acoustic paint too.

Has anyone try one of those acoustic or insulating paint? I would like to have feedback and/or recommendation. In my case it would be mostly for insulation as a way to diminish condensation during shoulder saison (read cold and wet Alaska spring and fall saison).
I'm interested in trying HyTech microsphere ceramic paint additive, anybody already try this product?
Thanks

C-Wolfe - you tried anything like this yet? I've been doing a bit of research, would like to try something like this too, and if it works for condensation, I have a dripping metal carport that could use some too Smile

C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:
Chester wrote:

Has anyone try one of those acoustic or insulating paint? I would like to have feedback and/or recommendation. In my case it would be mostly for insulation as a way to diminish condensation during shoulder saison (read cold and wet Alaska spring and fall saison).
I'm interested in trying HyTech microsphere ceramic paint additive, anybody already try this product?
Thanks

C-Wolfe - you tried anything like this yet? I've been doing a bit of research, would like to try something like this too, and if it works for condensation, I have a dripping metal carport that could use some too Smile

Not yet.
I wanted to order the microsphere powder to add to my paint of choice but the shipping to Alaska was about as expensive as the product itself, so I decided to wait and have it ship to me next time I'm in the lower 48. Or have someone bring it to me. Anyone here is coming to visit Alaska next summer? Very Happy

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:
Chester wrote:

Thanks

I have a box of Insuladd "powder". It is microspheres to be added to paint. I was going to use it on my boat, but went in another direction. You can have it for the shipping cost. According to USPS shipping is around $30 to Anchorage. PM me.

Seems like there is enough for about 5 gallons of paint (according to the instructions).

zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even here the cost of shipping from Amazon costs almost as much as the product, and the product doesn't weigh very much. I can't really find any definitive information on the benefits of ceramic vs glass balloons, or I would try glass. Today I asked a question on Amazon about the Hy-Tech product and it's use for condensation under a metal carport, and a rep responded within about 30 minutes, so that was impressive nowadays Smile Anyway, still thinking about it, I just hate paying so much in postage, but I should just do it and do some experiments Smile
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ideas here, but I don't think there is really a solution that will make a big difference.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR, overall I agree with you, however I did come up with a noise lowering solution for the motors, that works, just very expensive. Going from 80 hp to 120 hp with the Honda 60’s allowed for a much lower motor rpm, which does equal substantially less noise.

Jay

stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one brought up the old Mascoat thread BC started way back when.
I put 5 gallons on the interior of Shearwater prior to the first Alaska trip. 3 coats, top, sides and under the V-berth. 2 coats full length the hull sides to 12" below the gunnel. 3 coats of latex.
Made a difference, takes the sharp edge off the noise and changed the acoustics enough that running at speed with the door shut is not bad at all.
Some insulating value also, it's not huge but it is noticeable from a condensation perspective.

Might be tough to do with the newer boats that have the interior liners. Had to remove 80% my interior to get uninterrupted coating the full length of the cabin on the uncored surfaces (roof is cored on shearwater).

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: