The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

need advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotdogbob

City/Region: qualicum beach
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: need advice please Reply with quote

hello fellow c-dory fans. I really need some answerers before I start looking @ Dorys.Ive had an Arima and like the no wood construction but not all that weight in the stern and big motors just didn't feel right . So a c-dory with Alaskan bulkhead, cudy for naps ( I'm old and need my nap ha-ha ) but my concern is balsa wood , wood in the transom. What should I be looking for and telltale signs of rot problems on a used boat ? Thanks for your help
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The C-Brats site. I am sure that someone who is qualified will be happy to give you all the information you need. Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any cored wood structure will rot if water intrudes into it. The Transom on the C Dory is less likely to rot than many other boats. If all depends on how well sealed the transom is.

Ideally all holes in the fiberglass outer cover (or inner cover) would be sealed with epoxy.

I have heard of more issues with balsa wood bottom than the transom, but there have been a few ransoms which are had to be rebult--

In small boat construction, there is the hull molding and then the deck molding. In the C Dory the hull to deck are jointed to gather by the deck sitting on top and then glassed over inside the boat. On the transom the gas wraps over the top of the transom (the splah well is part of the deck mold. If this glass lapped over the transom remains intact and not penetrated with screws, then delimitation and moister intrusion rarely starts there. For example many boats screw an aluminum extrusion over the top of the transom--and the holes for the screws go into the wooden core--moisture gets in and then rot occurs.

Also boats which are subject to multiple cycles of freeze thaw--especialy left out of doors in the northern climes are far more likely to have core issues.

You buy a boat because the hull does what you want it to do--not necessarily because of the construction. The only issue I have had in the C Dory's I have owned, was the cockpit deck of a 2003 C Dory 25. It never had the core sealed on the cockpit deck. Water got into the core, it sat out in at least two New Jersey winters, and then someone jumped into the floor from the gunnel--and the floor broke. In this boat there was no damage to the transom (we looked hard) or the hull. The new cockpit floor used some epoxy to seal and unprotected edges, plus Nadicore honey Comb core construction.[/I]

Foam cores can delaminate--and there have been some relatively new boats, which were very expensive where the foam core delaminated. Even now there are a few resin infused boats where there has been some core or structure delaminates. So it is not just wood which can be a problem. A delaminated foam core is just as much of a problem.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hotdogbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: reply from Bob Reply with quote

thanks Bob.I have had alot of boats mostly sail that had balsa and its probably my least favorite material to use on a boat.Maybe I should stick to Arimas ? even my old one sold for big bucks cause the surveyor told the buyer not to worry with an Arima as far as rot .Thanks for your reply, hotdogbob on Vancouver Island bc
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Balsa has a lot of very good properties--better than foam in many ways. As long as it is sealed, it remains good.

I have gone offshore many thousands of miles in a boat which was primary balsa for the entire hull. (Balsa Planks). That boat hit a container at 8 knots (we were trashing to windward and because of noise pounding etc, don't know exactly when the strike occurred.). However, the end of the container punctured the outer 1/2" fiberglass skin. It impacted the balsa, delaminating from t he interior 1/4" glass over an area of 25 sq feet. No water intrusion. If that had been a conventional hull, it is very likely that the boat would have been holed, taken on water, and potentially sank.

The shear strength of balsa is excellent--and one of its major pluses, as is the rigidity, and relatively lack of compressibility. That is the reason that balsa is still used in many new boats today.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob makes very good points about the advantages of balsa and one ought to listen. We've had Journey On for 15 years and even though a lot of my fiberglass holes are not sealed I've found no water intrusion after 15 years. And as a note to Bob, I seal my holes (when I pull or install fasteners) with 5200 or 4000, not epoxy..

Also you seem to be particularly concerned about balsa in the transom. If I remember correctly we had a discussion on this a number of years ago. C-Dory at that time used structural foam in the transom and balsa in the hull. The image gives some representation of this circa 2005.

Boris

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: reply from Bob Reply with quote

hotdogbob wrote:
thanks Bob.I have had alot of boats mostly sail that had balsa and its probably my least favorite material to use on a boat.Maybe I should stick to Arimas ? even my old one sold for big bucks cause the surveyor told the buyer not to worry with an Arima as far as rot .Thanks for your reply, hotdogbob on Vancouver Island bc

There is no perfect boat - Arima is a good boat choice in my opinion. If you found the right one for the right price, I'd pull the trigger on one without any hesitation. No boat with wood is immune to rot. And boats with other cores are just as prone to delamination, so there really is no escape.....Much of this though, is completely preventable.
hotdogbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

only problem with Arimas (sold my 19ft hardtop last year ) is all that weight in the stern scares me.Catch one green one in the cockpit and that stern will go under .That is why I am looking @ C-Dorys.Neither are cheap thats for sure if you can find one
hotdogbob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: thank you all Reply with quote

I now have a better understanding of balsa core and like all wood in boats if it stays dry its good.I want to thank you all for the info and end this topic with a quote from a boat surveyor said to me not long ago " DONT BUY A BAYLINER !" ha-ha-ha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: