Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty.io

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Smitty.io 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Solo Uno Reply with quote

Ahoy Mates!

Cocktail

Newish C-Dory owner here, “built in 82, 83 Model, originally sold in 1990. It’s a 22’” Marbenmar and finally bought out my partner and finally picked her up a couple months ago in Napa. She’s in great shape with normal cosmetic and weathered Teak and Gelcoat work to do in the cockpit, I have about 50hrs in to restoring the teak in the cockpit before the rains hit here in Santa Cruz, CA. The Hull and Gelcoat are in great shape, no blisters, several bottom epoxy repairs, but I’m a painter so that is just fine.

After a lot of reading, am I starboard in saying it’s a classic 22’? Definitely a Angler setup.

For what it’s worth, I’m a sailor on his 13th step since 13. I was in the market for a 16’ C-Dory when this opportunity came along. Busy with the Hull, about ready to go over the Electrical system and try to resurrect what I think is a 1996ish 88hp Johnson(the normal serial #s are gone) and a 2002 Nissan 18hp kicker. Gonna get the carbs rebuilt after a valiant try to get them running soon, they haven’t been fired since 2015. I’ll probably burn a little time on those and repower with a 115hp Honda eventually.

I look forward to being a part of this great community. I’ve been following since 2016. Be safe out there!

Smitty
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Smitty, and Welcome to the Brat site. Sounds like you found something to keep you out of mischief for the next few weekends.

If I get your drift, . . .
"After a lot of reading, am I starboard in saying it’s a classic 22’? Definitely a Angler setup."

I believe you are starboard. Wink The Cruiser and Angler division didn't happen for a few more years, so the Classic is a bit of a combo, Little more cabin space than an Angler, but not all the space and creature comforts of the Cruiser. If you have the skill, patience and wherewithal you will have a great little "Cute" boat.

C-BRATS is a great place as you have probably noticed since 2016. Ask the admin guys to set up a photo album and share some pix as you go forward with your projects and tripping.

All the best, stick around and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Smitty, and Welcome to the Brat site. Sounds like you found something to keep you out of mischief for the next few weekends.

If I get your drift, . . .
"After a lot of reading, am I starboard in saying it’s a classic 22’? Definitely a Angler setup."

I believe you are starboard. Wink The Cruiser and Angler division didn't happen for a few more years, so the Classic is a bit of a combo, Little more cabin space than an Angler, but not all the space and creature comforts of the Cruiser. If you have the skill, patience and wherewithal you will have a great little "Cute" boat.

C-BRATS is a great place as you have probably noticed since 2016. Ask the admin guys to set up a photo album and share some pix as you go forward with your projects and tripping.

All the best, stick around and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a double welcome is sure better than none. Not sure how I managed that but the message still hold true.

Great place here. Good folks and great boats.

Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the moderator (first on the list of members) for a photo album. Many of us would love to see your classic.

I would think twice about putting a 4 stroke Honda 115 (478#) on that boat. It might be done. but without re-inforcing the transom it may end up in diseaster. That boat was made for a 253# 70 HP two stroke Honda. The 88 HP may be fine. A Yamaha 115 is about 100 # lighter.

If I was going to try a larger hp motor, I would put knees in, and tie them to the transom and some short stringers to the bottom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Smitty.io

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for a photo folder, can’t wait to share some pics. It’s got some cool little features on it that I haven’t seen on other C-Dorys that give it some character.

Thataway, thanks for the suggestions on the motor. The previous owner mentioned a heavier more hp motor might help it get to plane better, I will definitely take your advice.

Smitty
Smitty.io

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my photo Album. Photo
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the first "flat iron" semi dory hull. That was changed to the modern hull in 1987. Interesting that the boat was not sold as new until 1990!

To early boat owners--how does the cabin compare with other boats of that vintage? Looking at the photos of other 1982 era boats, I believe I see some differences...

Looking at the transom, "splash well" I feel that you would be best served by re-enforcing the transom/spashwell (without changing the boat structurally) by glassing a couple of knees before putting on a much higher hp outboard.

Looks as if you have a jewel, with some polish it will be outstanding!
Smitty.io

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway, you’re the best mate! The Johnson 88 weighs in at around 320lbs and the Nissan 18hp is 94lbs so it’s had 400lbs on that transom for awhile. I haven’t noticed any sign of stress yet, but haven’t pulled the Gigantic fuel cell, still pumping and dumping old gas.

I’m all about safety and would and will happily put in some knees. For what it’s worth to the group as far as record keeping and strength of transom info, she’s been sailed down around Cabo and did some extensive fishing in the Sea of Cortez and back from San Francisco. Sailing North up the coast is beating in to the wind the whole way and is probably a Kidney breaker in a flat bottom, we will see.

Pat added the extra helm obviously for fishing alone or just motoring from the cockpit and dodging Japanese fishing vessels in the Sea of Cortez back in the day.

After the bright work is done, I’ll be restoring the cockpit. Mostly epoxy, paint.

The Fuel cell enclosure needs to be rebuilt so I’lll be doing a little carpentry for that. I’ll post a picture. There is a nice teak “cutting board” that I have refinished.

Inside there are some rusted out hinges to replace, and I’ll be going over the electrical soon, since the interior teak is in great condition, I’ll try to keep it as original as possible. We don’t need fancy electronics here in Santa Cruz, IPad with Navionics has served me well the last 10 years.

Smitty
Smitty.io

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics posted
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool old boat. Red White and Blue, now you can't beat that.

Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. For what it’s worth to the group as far as record keeping and strength of transom info, she’s been sailed down around Cabo and did some extensive fishing in the Sea of Cortez and back from San Francisco. Sailing North up the coast is beating in to the wind the whole way and is probably a Kidney breaker in a flat bottom, we will see.

Is this to imply that the boat went down and came up the coast from Cabo on it's own bottom?

Japanese fishing vessels in the sea of Cortez? Pretty unlikely. The sea of Cortez is entirely under Mexico's territorial waters and exclusive fisheries zone.
Smitty.io

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway, Pat piloted the boat all the way down and back. As for the Japanese fisherman reference, supposedly back in the 70s the Mexican government let and licensed the Japanese fleet in to the Sea of Cortez. Maybe it’s lore, but that was my reference.

Smitty
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thataway, Pat piloted the boat all the way down and back. As for the Japanese fisherman reference, supposedly back in the 70s the Mexican government let and licensed the Japanese fleet in to the Sea of Cortez. Maybe it’s lore, but that was my reference.

I find two references of Japanese fishing vessels in the Sea of Cortez: 1940, John Steinbeck's "log of the Sea of Cortez" and a 5 year treaty 1968 thru 1972 for long liners. Neither of these would have affected a C Dory. None of these would have involved dodging Japanese fishing vessels. There are many areas of the World where trolling and trawling by fishing vessels creates a hazard, especially at night and in fog or other limited visibility conditions.

I have made a dozen trips up and down the coast of Mexico, and half a dozen trips to San Francisco and some beyond. These span the period from 1963 thru 1996.

I would certainly want to see documentation of a 22' C Dory doing that run. I am not saying it is impossible, but pretty unlikely. Is there any write up or documentation of this? Trailering--yes, certainly. (That is not without its potential issues.).

The official distance between Cabo and San Diego is 880 nautical miles according to distance between ports. Most realistically count it as between 950 to 1000 nautical miles. Fuel is usually available only at Enseneda, Turtle Bay, and Magdalena Bay. There are other places where fuel might be carried thru the surf in jerry cans--but it would be difficult.

There is a C Dory 26 which has gone from San Francisco Bay to Catalina Island and back at least 4 times. As I recollect the last trip North took over a month because of adverse weather.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Captain

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: