Raymarine e7D appears dead - axiom+?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Raymarine e7D appears dead - axiom+? Reply with quote

e7D went dead in the middle of a trip last week out on the Delta.
Anyway, I will spend a bit of time troubleshooting but think I will replace.
Leaning toward an axiom+ 9" with a RV-100 transducer.
Curious if anyone has this setup?
I have a separate radar (ipad/first watch), and will keep my old working autopilot (Gladiator). But thinking at some point having an integrated autopilot like the ev-150 would be nice - hence the axiom.
I fish a fair amount but nothing > 100'

Anyone have an opinion on that setup
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had used used Garmin connected to a Raymarine S1000 auto pilot since 2005. Not much fishing, so made do for depth with a stand alone small Sonar. Garmin in my opinion is still top of the line, but after also using Navionics on a IPad since it was first available, I wasn’t hesitant to check other options, when upgrading my auto pilot. Due to primarily not wanting to change fittings & hoses, but still wanting a very good auto pilot, I went with the Raymarine EV150 auto pilot & the Axiom 9+ chart plotter with Navionics mapping. This has turned out to be a great combination. Though I didn’t, I would now recommend for others considering this combination to include the built in real vision 3D sonar, even if you don’t fish, as it would be great to have for checking out the sea floor for anchoring & not that much more expensive to include.

After being on other boats & observing the newest Garmin combo auto pilot & chart plotter working, the only obvious advantage, I saw with the Garmin combo over the Raymarine is the Garmin can follow a precise route without having to acknowledge each waypoint before making a turn on a route. In extreme conditions the Garmin auto pilot with its slightly larger pump may give a quicker response with better control. The route following to me is definitely an advantage & the larger pump maybe so. The Garmin combo is about $2000 more.

I did have to add a nmea 2000 network to tie in the chart plotter, autopilot & Honda H4 gauges & just finished adding a new vhf radio with AIS to this.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: