The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

help finding gasket material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chastedt

City/Region: freeport, Maine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: help finding gasket material Reply with quote

Hi. I have a wonderful C-Dory 23 but need to replace the gaskets for the rear hatches that house the batteries. The old gaskets are leaking and we can't find the right size material to replace it. Called C-Dory and they said they don't have what we need. Any thoughts as to where we can find gasket material to make new gaskets for our boat? Thanks for any help you can give! Best Burt Brewer
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just joining in here because I have the same issue with the cockpit hatches on my 25. Right now, the leak so much, I might as well not even have hatches!
Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try Steele rubber. You can send them a picture with dimensions and they can usually match it up. Good luck
JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has been covered on this site for years. If you can't access the link below, go to the Forums hyperlink at the top of the home page and type in "Replacement Lazarette Covers (Again)". The thread is full of great info., I've purchased my new covers but haven't installed them yet...the color "dream white" is spot on. Good luck.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=20100&sid=6417579fb9c74b6c0088972bd6aa4bbc

johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyD wrote:
This topic has been covered on this site for years. If you can't access the link below, go to the Forums hyperlink at the top of the home page and type in "Replacement Lazarette Covers (Again)". The thread is full of great info., I've purchased my new covers but haven't installed them yet...the color "dream white" is spot on. Good luck.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=20100&sid=6417579fb9c74b6c0088972bd6aa4bbc

I have found a lot of info here regarding the replacement of hatches, but not so much if one wants to try just replacing the gaskets. I know Bob of Thataway has done this.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot shed any light onto the gaskets needed for the 23. I added some gasket material which I got from Amazon auto parts section as a second gasket set on the floor hatches of the 25. It seemed to help with leaking, but not totally prevent leaking. I used that as a second set of gaskets on the bottom of the hatch cover, just inside of the gaskets which were on the edge of the cockpit floor extrusion.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are flat gaskets, I find you can buy anything you need at McMaster Carr. Just get sheets and trim it with an exacto knife.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoro has almost anything you might want in this type of gasket.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solutions to both issues are this: replace all hatches with one that don’t leak.

Here is the hatch replacement for the 25. I’ve done it and they are a massive improvement. http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26390&highlight=hatches

I know the 22 hatches have also been covered ad nauseam. On a 23, I have no experience.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: help finding gasket material Reply with quote

chastedt wrote:
Hi. I have a wonderful C-Dory 23 but need to replace the gaskets for the rear hatches that house the batteries. The old gaskets are leaking and we can't find the right size material to replace it. Called C-Dory and they said they don't have what we need. Any thoughts as to where we can find gasket material to make new gaskets for our boat? Thanks for any help you can give! Best Burt Brewer

Depending on your hatch covers, even replacing the gaskets will not stop the leaks IF, the hatches are not designed for horizontal installation. The C-Dory factory has, (for a long time), used the WRONG hatches and they were installing hatches not meant for horizontal service. Way back when, (2006 or so, Joel and his wife set up a replacement hatch distribution center and provided, at cost, the correct hatches, in batches of 10. I don't know how many orders he did, but several at least. And there was some serious outcry among the Brat Kingdom over some time before the factory changed to the correct hatch covers. I was one of the ones who ordered early on and it was really the first thing I did for my boat. NO more leaks and no worries about the gaskets, no need. The new covers go over the outside edge of the inside lip, so no water gets in --- PERIOD !!! It was an easy mod and one of the most worthwhile.

So, chastedt, You said:
". . . I have a wonderful C-Dory 23. . . " But we don't know what year, or if it is a Cape Cruiser or Venture 23 version of C-Dory. That information would be helpful. And if you fill out the full profile page it makes answering your questions much easier. Glad you have a wonderful C-Dory. Yup, so do I and a few thousand of the rest of us. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: