View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Pat, there is nothing like a trailable boat if you want to spice things up and go different places. However, if one is happy where they are boating and that's the only place they want to go, it's not that terrible walking from your car to your big huge boat, with all the amenities of home, firing it up, and heading out to your favorite spot. I can't afford it - plain and simple! I would love to have a big 30 plus foot Tolly with twin 350 hp cummins diesels, a genset, flybridge and all the trimmings. Not happening.....
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love this.....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/397513015393033/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aed996c58-ed39-42d3-af36-fb2e778aaa45
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend chartering a big boat for a week and better yet, two different big boats for a week each. My buddy had a 40+ Grand Banks? charter this summer and was looking at a 32 Riviera but backed off last week. Lots of trade offs in moving up in size. He finally decided not to go with the 32 since the cruise was about 15kn and if he is going for a fast cruiser he wants one that moves, since his Boston whaler does close to 40kn. He towed his whaler with the big boat and had the enjoyable no stress 9kn cruise but the thrill of his whaler for exploring.

Send me the details on your 26 venture! I can’t afford .5 footitus but I can dream!
bmachine

City/Region: Birch Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: KUNI-G
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback; we are having lengthy discussions and this has helped. Currently we have the CC in our slip space for most of the spring/summer season; we tend to hustle our way to the dock for 2-3 day excursions following work on most weekends. We break that up with some weekly voyages when the school schedule allows. Time will tell if we begin the process of adventuring to different areas. I am concerned with the gas prices (going from a single 150 to twin 300's). The Tolly we are looking at has brand new engines, however needs some updating in the interior and I am not sure I have the patience for another project (given all of the updates I have made to our CC). The space is nice; we found that the CC is perfect for 2-3, sucks when we have company or extended family who want to venture out.
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Early Tollycraft problems Reply with quote

Check to see if it has steel fuel tanks. Many of the early steel tanks are rusting through about this time and the engines have to be removed to replace the fuel tanks. Also, the windows. There are very few Tollys around that the windows don't leak. I had to cut out 4" of dry rot around mine when I replaced them.

Other than those two things I enjoyed a 34' Tolly for 6 years and I've had my 40 for over 32 years now. They're a TANK ! But, as with most other boats, the rudders are too small and they wallow like a pig in a beam sea. Sad
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmachine wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback; we are having lengthy discussions and this has helped. Currently we have the CC in our slip space for most of the spring/summer season; we tend to hustle our way to the dock for 2-3 day excursions following work on most weekends. We break that up with some weekly voyages when the school schedule allows. Time will tell if we begin the process of adventuring to different areas. I am concerned with the gas prices (going from a single 150 to twin 300's). The Tolly we are looking at has brand new engines, however needs some updating in the interior and I am not sure I have the patience for another project (given all of the updates I have made to our CC). The space is nice; we found that the CC is perfect for 2-3, sucks when we have company or extended family who want to venture out.

If you can be content with whatcha got that's always the best solution, right? LOL

I spent around 100 nights on my CD22
Had a Maxum 2400 SCR
Now we have a 34ft carver so it would have some similarities to the Tolly.

I would not trade my Carver for a CD22 for the Puget Sound cruising we do.
In fact I have not see any boat in it's price range that has the living space and comfort that we have on this carver.

That said, it's not a go-anywhere boat, and it's not a fishing boat (although you can fish it.

So... I'm in the hunt for a second trailerable boat. Ideally a 16ft.
Keep the carver moored year round, use it for long cruises (1-2 weeks as we are still working stiffs) and trailer the CD16 to fish and crab.

that's the ideal setup for me...

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good resource: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/

Lots of real world experience with specific brands there and a huge, experienced knowledge base.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, for what it's worth, here's another thumbs up for Tolly Tollefson's Northwest favorite, Tollycraft. My folks cruised their 1976 26' thousands of miles from 1977 until selling it in 1995. Now and again they thought about getting the 34-footer, but wisely stayed with the 26' because for two people it offered a generous amount of space. My impression is that's a Tolly hallmark. Folks' boat was well built, safe, reliable, about 4.5 tons, and I think had a single 255 MerCruiser inboard. They also loved the big cockpit and wide command bridge. It always had covered moorage, which boosted the resale value.

Brock
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Brock, for what it's worth, here's another thumbs up for Tolly Tollefson's Northwest favorite, Tollycraft. My folks cruised their 1976 26' thousands of miles from 1977 until selling it in 1995. Now and again they thought about getting the 34-footer, but wisely stayed with the 26' because for two people it offered a generous amount of space. My impression is that's a Tolly hallmark. Folks' boat was well built, safe, reliable, about 4.5 tons, and I think had a single 255 MerCruiser inboard. They also loved the big cockpit and wide command bridge. It always had covered moorage, which boosted the resale value.

Brock

That's where we are now with our Carver. Getting a bigger one always seems like a good idea but I'm not sure we need it to be honest. It's a 2827 but the LOA is 34' with dinghy on the back. I do think that boats from this era were just designed really well. Lots of living space. Ours however does have twin mercruisers and they're both very thirsty. it made a lot more sense 2 years ago.................................
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the dream of a larger boat.
Done that, all the way to 45'.
They demand a lot of time, so many more systems.
Haulout, stuck with there rates.
I'm happy again, my 22 Angler is parked within 10' of me as I type this. At my home for free.
Oh, I might have forgot about moorage. It is getting mighty expensive !
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

san juanderer wrote:
Yep, the dream of a larger boat.
Done that, all the way to 45'.
They demand a lot of time, so many more systems.
Haulout, stuck with there rates.
I'm happy again, my 22 Angler is parked within 10' of me as I type this. At my home for free.
Oh, I might have forgot about moorage. It is getting mighty expensive !

Moorage IS getting expensive, and I don't even have a trailer for the carver.
The upside is: I don't need to keep/maintain/park a trailer, I don't need 4wd to get in and out of the launch, and since the boat is wet 24/7 we can swing by anytime we want for date nights without leaving the slip.

Of course... requires bottom paint, regular zinc intervals, scraping, moorage, etc etc etc. plenty of downsides. I'm surprised and happy to find myself finally content and not needing to go UP in size anymore. But one day if life allows we would like to snowbird south to AZ or TX, and live in Puget Sound during only the summer. at that point we'd prefer something more like your 45' I think. I'd be trading yard and house maintenance for boat maintenance of course.

and even though I say I'm content, I watch for a 16' CD every day because the carver is not an ideal fishing boat (so.... back to trailer maintenance and tow vehicle, lol)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: