The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gotta Sell - Need Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ojos Verde
Photos: Ojos Verde
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

My husband and I have finally made the decision to sell our 1999 22' Cruiser and 2006 Magic Tilt trailer.

We are somewhat at odds about a couple of issues and need your help in sorting them out. The main one is whether to attempt to have the motor rebuilt, buy a used motor, or sell as is. The Honda 90 4-stroke motor had a few unfortunate run-ins with ethanol gas before we found out what the consequences would be.

The boat is sound, and has been cleaned inside and out but needs the gel coat refreshed - working on that now. The bottom has not been painted. My husband doesn't think that needs to be done before selling.

We (um, I) welcome any and all opinions about what to do in order to get the best return on this sizable investment - seeing as how it is not yet paid off!

As for the gel coat - will an automotive compounding product work better than the pricey specialty product for boats. The product I'm using is taking 3 hard scrubbing sessions for an 18" section and doesn't seem to have much grit in it - but maybe that's the safest way. My spindly little arms are tiring out and I've just begun. Should the (almost) white part be compounded and polished, too?

So, the big 3 are motor, gel coat, and painting the bottom. What would make the most sense to you?
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
My husband and I have finally made the decision to sell our 1999 22' Cruiser and 2006 Magic Tilt trailer.

We are somewhat at odds about a couple of issues and need your help in sorting them out. The main one is whether to attempt to have the motor rebuilt, buy a used motor, or sell as is. The Honda 90 4-stroke motor had a few unfortunate run-ins with ethanol gas before we found out what the consequences would be.

The boat is sound, and has been cleaned inside and out but needs the gel coat refreshed - working on that now. The bottom has not been painted. My husband doesn't think that needs to be done before selling.

We (um, I) welcome any and all opinions about what to do in order to get the best return on this sizable investment - seeing as how it is not yet paid off!

As for the gel coat - will an automotive compounding product work better than the pricey specialty product for boats. The product I'm using is taking 3 hard scrubbing sessions for an 18" section and doesn't seem to have much grit in it - but maybe that's the safest way. My spindly little arms are tiring out and I've just begun. Should the (almost) white part be compounded and polished, too?

So, the big 3 are motor, gel coat, and painting the bottom. What would make the most sense to you?

C-Dory purchasers in general are going to do their research. Few will purchase a hull because it shines. Many would like to buy a bare hull and put the motor(s) of their choice on it. That is kind of what I intended, but wound up keeping the 2003 carburated Honda 90 for 6 years, and only reluctantly replaced it recently. After purchase, I worked through some issues, which wound up being resolved through use of several tanks of 100% gasoline with Sea Foam additive. I would think you're unlikely to recoup the purchase cost of a new or nearly-new used motor. If the hull is sound that is going to be the biggest positive. Appearance will likely be secondary. Polishing the FRP hull can make it look very nice, but I have no idea why you would want to paint the hull. What if the buyer intends to use it in freshwater or wants a different bottom paint?
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that you have to rebuild the motor...whatever that means? Otherwise, I agree with Rob above...other than I don't know how much you need to sell it for to pay off the loan. That might factor into my decision.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy, simple way to re-condition gelcoat. Even with a buffer it’s work and once buffed, has to be polished/waxed to protect it from the elements. I’ve used Meguiar’s Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover and it works well, but you have to do it properly or you’ll burn the gelcoat.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you put into the boat buying a new motor, you won't get out when you sell. Same with bottom paint.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and sorry if it is short lived because you are selling but you can sure stick around if you like.

I agree with the comments about not recouping the cost of a repower. You say the problems with the older Honda were caused by the ethanol fuel. By rebuild do you mean just a cleaning and refreshing of the fuel system or has the engine been seriously damaged? If there are a lot of hours, like close to 2000 or so, it might be best to just leave it and sell as is. But if it would still run strong after refreshing the fuel system without major work on the inside of it then it might be worth it to fix.

I wouldn't worry about the bottom paint too much. The buyer can deal with that. My last repaint cost me $700 at a local boat yard but they are right next to my moorage and have a ramp with a cradle to pull the boat out of the water so it was probably cheaper than land based places. That was five years ago and as you will see in the pics I am about to post, it needs to be refreshed.

As for the gelcoat - I spent too many hours doing precisely what you are doing right now and my old arms aren't spindly but my shoulders won't let me do that anymore. I use a cheap (as in thirty five bucks at Home D) 6" orbital buffer and this stuff. It doesn't take much pressure with the buffer and the residue wipes off easily with microfiber towels.

Doing only the color stripe on the side took about a half hour to go from the first picture to the second. It certainly isn't boat show quality but it did the trick in the few days the boat was home getting repurposed from fishing to crabbing. The buffer will take the green stain at the water line off too.

Good luck!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not here advocating bottom painting but I did have it done. It was the right choice for me. If I was in your shoes, I would not do it ESPECIALLY if it has not been done before. That is a choice the new owner should make and for some, having bottom paint might be a deal breaker.

But what I wanted to add is this. When I did have mine done, I had the bottom paint line raised WAY UP to just below that strake line where Mike's green water mark is, so that now, the stain, doesn't stain the white (actually off-white) gel on the topsides and at the bow it follows that strake line up so no tannin moustache from the brown water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays marketplace is pretty good.
So much depends on condition, and what someone sees when they look at the boat.
Look at the 4 sale box and see what the price range is for a similar years and condition ( can vary a lot ). Could be 25 to upper 30's , depends so much on condition and what someone's eyes see. Less the cost for someone to buy a new motor, 10 to 13 thousand.
Let someone else buy the motor of there choice.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just try discounting the boat by 5-6000 and try to sell as is. Ignore the high priced dreamers when figuring out that price, look at ones that sold of similar age and condition, options.

A used motor is only worth a 3-4000 so discounting for labour and new rigging is a good idea, but I would not discount it the cost of a new motor. If you can find a couple of screen prints of used motors to share with the prospective owners or better yet a local quote it might help with the uncertainty.

Finally learn about the Sunk cost theory in economics, don’t throw good money after bad to try to recover an investment.

Keep an eye on Facebook market place for a used engine and even post wanted in Facebook boat groups.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted, we need to know what the real condition of the motor is. How many hours? Has it had regular service? Does it run currently. Just using ethanol fuel should not make any difference to the mechanical part of the engine--only the fuel delivery system (Injectors/injector pump) or carburetors. It may only be new fuel hoses, filters, and squeeze bulb. If possible you want the engine running, without spending a lot of money. If you pay $500 to get the engine running that is better than taking a $5,000 hit for unknown condition of the engine.

If there are waterline stains low on the hull, something like "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner will take those stains out. (Be sure and wear gloves, and eye protection). Definitely a cheap buffer will make it much easier to do the compounding. Wren makes some for about $20. Although I have a number of project specific buffers, I often do detail work with a foam pad chucked into a battery powered drill.

Depending on how bad the oxidation of the fiberglass gel coat is, you can start with wet sanding up to 2,000 grit. Then a course cutting compound, a fine compound, then a cleaning compound, before starting the wax. This might give your a few hundred dollars more. Or just do a section to demonstrate that the gelcoat is good, but just needs some work. The badly oxidized boat is certainly a turn off, The buyer will also look for clean (upholstery, no stains or evidence of water leaks/mildew inside.

Do not paint the bottom. If there has been no bottom paint, that is a plus for many buyers.

Be sure trailer tires are less than 5 years old. Does the boat have a windlass, stove (type and brand), a Bimini top over the cockpit, and full enclosure (camper canvas)? What brand are the electronics, model and year?

Since you still have an outstanding loan, that can be an issue to a clean title. Be sure that you know the exact amount of the loan. It may be that the buyer will give the majority (or in some cases the entire payment) to the mortgage company. The second 22 I owned, I just payed off the lien, and took title without any further payment to the seller.

Without an engine and if everything else is good, then I would start in the $25,000 asking price range. With a new engine (hard to find currently) there will be at least another $10,000 cost to put in a new 90 hp. Although there are older "new" outboards for the $6,000 range, they often require installation at the dealers shop, and a substantial labor and rigging charge.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Cassandra

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Ojos Verde
Photos: Ojos Verde
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

I so appreciate all the thoughtful and helpful advice and information. I'm on my own with this project since health issues have lessened my husband's involvement. I'd like to respond to some of the comments in case that prompts some more collective wisdom. First, the loan. We do hold clear title because the loan is a part of a home equity line of credit. My goal is to try to recoup in the neighborhood of $20 - 25K.

I do not know the real condition of the motor and will get it looked at right away. I've been told that ethanol "ruined it," but I hear some of you saying that is not necessarily the case.

The hull has been washed down pretty well. The interior is clean, mold and mildew free. All cushions are clean and I'm working on that faint aroma of age and humidity. I know a shiny hull won't make the sale, but I think it could tip the balance, especially if a couple is considering it and one of them happens to be swayed by clean and shiny.

I started the gel coat cleaning 3 days ago but was a bit afraid of sanding. How do I prevent sanding too deep? Combination of speed and pressure? I have a random orbital sander that I am using to clean off the compound. I'm using a compounding liquid made locally and it seems to be pretty good, but I decided to order the Meguiar's Power Cut Marine/RV Compound. Before I open it, has anyone used this? One of you recommended a different product, but I had already ordered the Meguiar's. I'll send it back if I get advice that it's not effective.

The dual axel trailer is in great shape, though it will need new tires and crank handle. There are coverings for all windows and door - some staining but otherwise sound; alcohol stove; sink; swim platform and ladder; Thetford potty; cushions in V-berth.

Does any of this information lead to a realistic ballpark range that I might shoot for?

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maguiars will work. Do a small area at a time and not in the sun. There are “how to” videos on YouTube etc. I used a big, heavy buffer but a smaller DA random orbital type might work too and the chance of burning will be lessened. Wipe off residue with micro-fiber towels and then polish or wax.

https://youtu.be/8jrrPSjWTnc

I’d try it prior to sanding with wet paper. That takes proper technique and one had better know what they are doing; gelcoat is thin.

Good luck. I hope you get what you need out of it.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meguairs stuff is likely the same stuff as the brand I use, and probably even a little better. I think you will be pleased with the results.
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:

I do not know the real condition of the motor and will get it looked at right away. I've been told that ethanol "ruined it," but I hear some of you saying that is not necessarily the case.

Gas with Ethanol won't usually do dramatic damage to the engine. You may need to replace the fuel lines from the tanks to the to the motor, the gas lines in the motor and possibly rebuild the carbs. The ethanol can attack older fuel lines and cause them to degrade.

I'm not familiar enough with 1999 motors to know for sure what type of fuel lines they have (ie: were they made to withstand ethanol).

If you need to have the carbs rebuilt, a possible price is about $600. I just had mine done.

We have gotten water in the fuel before which you can tell pretty quickly because there will be dark, coffee colored liquid in the bottom of the tank and in the fuel lines if the motor was started (or attempted to start). The water interacts with the Ethanol which causes the separation. If that happens, you will need to remove the fuel from the tanks and replace with fresh fuel, possibly have the carbs rebuilt, etc. We can discuss all that, but first you need to know if you have this type of separation. We learned to keep Stabilizer and "the blue stuff", whose name I can't remember, in the gas at all times. If a small amount of water gets into the gas, this will prevent the separation issues.

In any case, you shouldn't need to replace a solid motor because of ethanol.

Mike
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
We do hold clear title because the loan is a part of a home equity line of credit. My goal is to try to recoup in the neighborhood of $20 - 25K. I do not know the real condition of the motor and will get it looked at right away. I've been told that ethanol "ruined it," but I hear some of you saying that is not necessarily the case.

$20K would probably be a quick sell, at least on the west coast. If your goal is $25K, you might get close for just a good condition hull with trailer also in good condition. C-Dories aren't boats that shiny boat people are impressed by. If the tires are old (manufacture date is after the DOT numbers) and cracked the only investment you probably should make other than your time and having the motor looked at is to get good tires. For four that might run $400 for class C tires, which are OK for dual-axle. The boat will be towed away and you don't want to contribute to an accident.

A really old motor isn't going to be a big asset, even if it runs well. Most people won't trust it for serious boating. Older C-Dories are generally repowered. Ethanol gas sitting in it could affect seals and jets, but it is hard to imagine it being ruined. I bought mine with the idea that the old motor might be replaced right away, and was pleasantly surprised when it eventually ran well. Even with that, I don't think an old motor will be worth more than a couple thousand $ in the final price. Current motors are MUCH better in all respects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: