The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Improving Trim By Moving The Batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I would say there probably isn't a more stern heavy boat out there at times than mine with shrimps pots, hundreds of feet of sinking line, 3 batteries, twin engines and often a kicked too, 30 gallons of extra fuel, 6 gallons of water, and a big cooler with ice all thrown in the back. There might even be a 30 pack of Coors back there.....lol....It trims out and it have never seemed to be much of an issue in my opinion. I've put around 2500 hours on the boat and I'd probably notice if it were a serious issue. The only real problem is wishing I had about 150 hp when it's loaded like this, because the boat only goes around 18-20 mph and when you're shrimping spot is 60-70 miles away, it's a very long ride.

This is exactly why I drink rum.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want the "Minimum" starting battery? I want a battery which will be reliable, even if it is cold or one has to crank the engine longer than usual for any one of a number of reasons. There is a reason that engine manufactures give a minimum of MCA (Marine Cranking Amps) The Honda 90 is in the 750 MCA range.

A #1 cable would be minimum. I would use a minimum of 1/0. there will be about a 30' run (up and back). #1 AWG tinned wire weight:.256 per foot= 7#, cost: Defender is $5.22 a foot x 30' = $156. Yes, you might get away with lesser quality and smaller cable in the short haul.

A fuse within 7" of the battery is necessary protect the wire, boat, engine and battery. There should also be a switch close to the battery. How about that bilge pump wire which comes off the battery?....or the terminal post you put aft? How are you going to handle the power to the console?

Playing the devil's advocate to give consideration of best practices.

Remember the more the weight of the battery, the more lead and greater the capacity. 40# is on the light side for a group 24. Most are at least 45# to 55#.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife likes to sleep in the front and so did my kids on long runs. That's way more weight that a battery or two. The boat really didn't seem much different - might have actually ridden better, but it did slow the boat down 2-3 mph. I don't think you're going to notice the huge difference I have inferred you think you're going to get by moving a battery. In crap seas, I insisted they move back to a seat....I suspect it matters, but it never has that much.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation in a CD 16 is much different, but might have some value as a weight shifting experient on a smaller scale. I did move batteries and fuel tank to improve balance. To really predict the effect of moving weight aboard would probably require a naval architect and even then you would have more numerical predictions rather than certainty of improvement. Part of the problem with experimenting with shifting weight on an existing boat is that it is difficult to model the exact final effect. You can put weight forward (bags of sand, etc.), but you will still have the batteries and fuel in their present locations. That is not the same as moving the present stern weight to mid ship. That is basically what I did.

I did my unscientific field trials by climbing as far forward as possible while someone else had the helm. That slowed the top end and I had my first real experience with bow steer when we hit a wake. I got bounced around side-to-side in the V berth. But it still seemed that shifting weight had the possibility of improvement. When sitting at the dock, my boat originally had the not uncommon C-Dory squat. I didn't have a permatrim at the time and didn't want trim tabs unless required and, it turns out, they are not.

I moved the batteries (start and house) under the passenger seat and the fuel tank just forward of that, resulting in a very slight bow down position at the dock. By the time I reach hull speed (probably about 4.5 knts), the hull is riding flat. With my "permatrim knockoff" OB fin, the boat trims nicely although I can force the bow down if I want. The stern is now lighter by 100# and the boat now carries a more weight than "stock" (an additional Group 24 and 17 gallons more fuel). That works out to adding an additional 186# to the boat, but the additional weight is very close to the center of the boat, i.e., closer to the center of floatation.

Had I left the batteries and fuel in the stern, I'm not sure if there is any amount of weight I could add to the bow to get the same results. If I had just moved the original weight out of the stern, I would have had a really zippy 16. But I wanted the extended cruising ability of an additional battery and more fuel. As such, I was basically forced to move batteries and fuel forward. And it worked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just run with the tabs most to all the way down, and the motor tucked pretty low as well. In really heavy water, I've had to bring the tabs up to avoid having them get caught by stern seas. Bow steer is rare, but it can happen and I certainly would want a quick adjustment to make it go away. Very unpleasant and dangerous. We have a group 27 house and a group 24 starting battery in the area between the tanks. They sit just fine there. That's about the most stabile location on the entire boat.

When we bought the boat it was rigged with an anchor chain specifically for weight. Very annoying to handle and was too short. I replaced it with a long line (for our area - 150' is plenty) and a short chain.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: