The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Always have a bit of water in the cockpit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keweenaw2018

City/Region: Upper Peninsula
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Norppa
Photos: Keweenaw2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Always have a bit of water in the cockpit! Reply with quote

We have a 2000 22' cruiser and when we bought last year It had a sort of "snap" together false floor in the cockpit that I just removed for fall cleaning and since it has been out (about 3 weeks now) I have noticed that there is about 0.25 "- 0.5" standing water towards for front+ center of the cockpit. The only way I have been able to get rid of it is with a shop vac, but even a bit of precipitation will put it right back. I guess I'm a little confused by the design here: why was the deck of the cockpit designed so that neither the aft or midship bilge pump could purge this last bit of water. Does anybody know a workaround or is the false floor with occasional cleaning just the way to go? I didn't like how much dirt/algae was accumulating under there. Any tips.
-wet socks

-Hunter
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Always have a bit of water in the cockpit! Reply with quote

I've only once owned a boat where the bilge pump was installed exactly at the lowest part of the cockpit when the boat was at the dock. And, of course, the "lowest" place can change depending upon how the boat is loaded, how much gas and water you have, etc...

If it really bothers you (it bothers me), you could try loading the boat such that the rainwater flows back towards the pump. Maybe a couple of 5-gallon water jugs would do the trick?

In the end though, for my c-dory, I settled on a custom, snap on canvas cockpit cover. That way, rain never gets in the boat in the first place.

...of course, if your boat is on a trailer...jack up the trailer stand a few inches!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: