The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Horn does not work.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Horn does not work. Reply with quote

I just back from a nice 18 day cruise of SW Florida. I put in in St Petersburg and went down to Ft Myers and back. I really do love it down there.

The first morning as I was leaving St Pete I was boarded by the Coast Guard for an inspection. I had an inspection done at my marina and had a 2019 sticker but the CC guy said does not matter. So I welcomed them aboard and wanted him to know that C-Dory owners are safe boaters.

Everything went well and I had everything, feeling smug, then he asked if I had a horn or whistle. I said "of course" and pushed the horn button....

The horn is located above the helm window, under the overhang, above the windshield wiper.

Crook Cry

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)

Last edited by ken35216 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog says:

"MaxBlast Single Mini Compact Horn is constructed of an injection molded housing under a stamped 304 stainless steel cover. Corrosion resistant stainless steel cover protects the internal components. After a 600 hour salt spray test, this electric horn was completely rust-free! Mounting bracket can be used as a wiring template. When installed, horns should point slightly downward to permit water drainage."

I'm calling bs on the corrosion resistant stainless steel part!

Last edited by ken35216 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the horn button:

Just an FYI to Northwest Marine Industry... white lettering with gray background is HARD TO SEE WITH OLD EYES!!!!

[url]

Here is the wiring behind it.

The yellow wire on the left was not plugged in anything and it's the one for the horn... could that be causing the problem or is it the rusted horn?

[/url]

Last edited by ken35216 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
Mine crapped out also. Resons were the same... I was going to focus on a really nice horn, but it would not fit the space, up under the eyebrow.
I ended up buying the one listed below. It fits the space and should last about 10 years, as the previous one did... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019LY8DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lastly, I have an air horn laying near the shifter, in case I have a failure and have a need for an extra horn in the future.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Ken,
Mine crapped out also. Resons were the same... I was going to focus on a really nice horn, but it would not fit the space, up under the eyebrow.
I ended up buying the one listed below. It fits the space and should last about 10 years, as the previous one did... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019LY8DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lastly, I have an air horn laying near the shifter, in case I have a failure and have a need for an extra horn in the future.

I bought an extra air horn a couple of days later. I'm going to keep it near the shifter too (good idea) as the horn will go out at the exact moment you really need it! Like an inspection or worse warning another boat.

Will the existing wiring work to add that horn?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
I cut the old wires near the old horn and mounted the new horn and used crimp connectors that are heat sealed. It saved me time and effort, from running new wire back to the switch. I was fortunate that that new horn also had the same screw mount pattern as the old one (no new holes and the job took less than 20 minutes).
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Connectors-Connector-Waterproof-Automotive/dp/B07B518GCJ/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=butt+connector%2C+heat+sealed&qid=1575932144&s=industrial&sr=1-13
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The yellow wire on the left was not plugged in anything and it's the one for the horn... could that be causing the problem or is it the rusted horn?

The little yellow wire is usually the illumination circuit--goes on when you turn the running lights on. Probably the cheap Chinese SS on the horn...you could take it apart--it is just a coil and a plate which vibrates--very simple... or you could buy a new one...probably 50/50 as far as work.

Or you could get one of those "train horns" which are 135 dB....Wolo makes cheap plastic ones, which don't rust--no tank, and work fairly well--about 10x the sound level of the standard C Dory issue.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point to note that we should be carrying a backup horn, such as the can air, or there are also manual horns available. Also a good idea to check them (both the electric and the back) up occasionally.

I was at Sucia Island one time when a fellow came in on a TC24, recently purchased, and this was their maiden voyage. I noticed that the VHF antenna looked damaged. When I asked him about it he admitted that the VHF did not work. I asked him about the horn and he said "It's right here", pointing to the switch, but when he pushed the button there was deafening . . . silence.

He came up to Sucia Island from Everett with no signaling device, and was going to go back same way, with wife and kids and a couple of relatives on board.

I recommended that he get a voluntary safety inspection done, and gave him a canned air horn to take with him as a reminder.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours died last summer. Didn't know it until I was on a trip. I just replaced it; like $40 on Amazon. I took the old one apart and it was a rusted mess.

https://www.amazon.com/Seadog-Line-Double-Compact-431120-1/dp/B00EVIODE6/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=sea+dog+horn&qid=1575946066&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-35

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-431125-1-Blast-Twin-Compact/dp/B01CJ0159S/ref=pd_sbs_200_1/133-3585119-7916410?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CJ0159S&pd_rd_r=66c79f83-4b80-458e-87b7-b034fb07f69f&pd_rd_w=kSiaH&pd_rd_wg=Qqbff&pf_rd_p=5873ae95-9063-4a23-9b7e-eafa738c2269&pf_rd_r=30SVFHRHXHDAKJPZDZJ7&psc=1&refRID=30SVFHRHXHDAKJPZDZJ7

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Electric Horn Reply with quote

When mine quit working, I took it off and dug all of the mud out of it that the Mud dubber Wasps had put inside. Sad

Now it has a piece of window screen over the opening. Wink
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Hey, regarding those Wolo Train Horns you mentioned. My horn works, but I like the idea of something that is much louder! Can you provide a little more information? Like which model horn? Thanks. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horn died last year. Got a replacement online. The original sounded like a horn from a much larger boat. It was kind of funny to have such a deep sounding horn on a relatively small boat. The new horn just sounds like a regular car horn and is not as attention getting.

The form factor of the new horn is the same as the old one. Too bad it doesn't sound the same.
ken35216

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hi Bob,
Hey, regarding those Wolo Train Horns you mentioned. My horn works, but I like the idea of something that is much louder! Can you provide a little more information? Like which model horn? Thanks. Colby

I'd like to know that also.

Loud horns save lives or something like that (Harley Davidson fans).
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my horn is on the way out too. I'm curious about a good replacement. What the boat came with is so quiet it's useless even when it did work. I just have no idea how i'd mount a horn under the visor.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

Loud horns save lives or something like that (Harley Davidson fans).

I put air horns on my last Harley.
When I went down to get my MC endorsement on my Hodaka Wombat the horn didn't work and they would not pass me account of that. Fix it, he said.
I went to Coast-To-Coast and bought a bicycle squeeze bulb horn. The examiner didn't like it but it was legal. He rolled his eyes as he gave me the paperwork. Ha!
One other guy was trying to get his endorsement at the same time. He was a county commissioner with an identical Wombat in the back of his pickup.
His looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor and mine looked like it had seen lots of dirt. He looked down his nose at the long haired kid on the dirty dirt bike... and failed the riding test. Ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: