The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone ever look at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever look at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl Reply with quote

Hi,

Just curious if any of the ‘brats’ ever looked at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl in person?? If you did please share your thoughts.
It looks like a possible alternative to a C-D 25,23 and 22’.

https://youtu.be/rTMXSYuKyfU
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever look at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl Reply with quote

Mike_b wrote:
Hi,

Just curious if any of the ‘brats’ ever looked at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl in person?? If you did please share your thoughts.

I've not seen one in person. From the video, it's certainly an eye catching boat, but for the wrong reasons IMO.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Saw a stabicraft on Sucia island at the dock two nights ago. Dont think it was the ultracab. It appeared to be built like a tank, and had the character of one. I noticed High quality welds where you might find rivets on similar styled aluminum fishing boats in the Northwest. It seemed like the kind of boat a kiwi launching from a beach might want. The kind of boat that doesnt have frivolous things like fenders 😂. It was a solid looking boat, if not a good looking one. Didnt get a peak inside, but it looked as utilitarian as a hewescraft/alumaweld type of rig.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be one up at Sidney Marina, all lit up with every possible Rigid LED lightbar available, mostly in duplicate. And with a whole lot of antennas on it. I was g\told it was a private owner who had to be able to leave his island home anytime/any weather. Pretty stout looking boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_b,
I had an opportunity to put a few hours on a US version of this boat, called Aluminum Chambered Boat. This was back in 2003... This boat is a US copy of the Stabicraft.
I did like the ride and the quality of the boat, but it is utilitarian in every way and to me, it was a good fit for a military /Government type of craft ( I was working back then with oversite of maintenance of Special Forces boats). There was no gunnel outboard of the cabin (to maximize cabin volume). You could drive it onto the rocks and only scratch it, but aside from that, it was not a good fit for a universal family boat.
ACB's went out of business, but if one was available and you wanted a rock solid rigid boat for fishing, this would be an attractive option.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Mike_b,
I had an opportunity to put a few hours on a US version of this boat, called Aluminum Chambered Boat. This was back in 2003... This boat is a US copy of the Stabicraft.
I did like the ride and the quality of the boat, but it is utilitarian in every way and to me, it was a good fit for a military /Government type of craft ( I was working back then with oversite of maintenance of Special Forces boats). There was no gunnel outboard of the cabin (to maximize cabin volume). You could drive it onto the rocks and only scratch it, but aside from that, it was not a good fit for a universal family boat.
ACB's went out of business, but if one was available and you wanted a rock solid rigid boat for fishing, this would be an attractive option.

The stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl appears to be a little more refined than the ACB’s I’ve seen. The YouTube video I linked in the original post looks intriguing.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one they had at the Seattle Boat Show a couple years back had terrible looking welds. I personally wouldn't have trusted that particular boat to hold together over time. I hope their welders figured out how to weld aluminum.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Used one for a week of fishing in Alaska Reply with quote

Not a C-22 but we used a StabiCraft at Doc Warner's in Excursion Bay. Alaska and we ran into square waves (90 hp Yammie) and I have never seen a boat handle the water so well. we went out and back 30-45 mile or further every day in often nasty stuff, no water on board other than wind blown minor spray. Good gas use, great fishability, wash down with a pressure washer every night, and I wish I could afford one like the Aussies build up, nice kit as they say. But at their best, not real good looking but as the old song use to say "She is ugly but sure can cook!" and excuse the sexism, I did not write the lyrics.
Pic of Doc's newest fleet of Stabi's at https://docwarners.com/alaska-fishing-trips/
Bob Jarrard
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever look at a stabicraft 2500 ultracab xl Reply with quote

Mike_b wrote:
Hi,

UGLY!!!
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never ridden in one, but have checked them out at the Seattle boat show multiple years. There was a stabicraft docked next to us in Sekiu, Ill never forget because the owner was especially unpleasant and the boat was a real looker Laughing

He comes up to our boat as we were getting ready to head out, it's still dark at this point in the morning and we are organizing all our gear and warming up the twin hondas. He says "Hey how do you like your c-dory?" I love it I tell the guy, its a great boat. His response was "yeah I heard they pound really bad so I wouldn't get one... you should really look at a stabicraft, they are great! and goes on a long rant about them that I didn't listen to because we were busy. Awesome.... now bye lol

It's the 2nd week of October and a small craft advisory that day combined with what was already a 11 foot northwest swell.

We go out and troll for a few hours and get a cooler full of coho, and the wind picks up pretty bad. It becomes too rough to fish, and the whole fleet decides to pack it up and head back the harbor around the same time. We watched as the whole fleet of boats, including the stabicraft, all pounded through the wind waves head on. As I'm watching the other boats of similar size handle it, the stabicraft didn't appear any more comfortable than anything else, it looked to be pounding pretty good, as did everything else. Maybe in other conditions it really excels, but I didn't think it lived up to the dudes hype first thing in the morning.

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great boats. More an alternative to a seasport or orca skagit due to the power needed and target market/use but both of those have a stand up head available. What is superior to many boats is the windshield, sight lines. Up there with some nice one windshield pursuits etc
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a 24 ft Aluminum Chambered Boat (company now banckrupt) from Bellingham to Eliza Island and back during some interesting weather on the return trip, which, of course Bellingham Bay is famous for. Stabicraft are similar but perhaps more refined. Eliza doesn't have a ferry, so you need to arrange or have a private boat, or use the small airstrip. The owners had a nice cabin on the island, and hadn't always been able to access it with their 21 ft aluminum boat with a soft top. That boat had flipped during a windstorm tied to their mooring buoy. Their cove was mostly sheltered but not from all directions. They needed a boat that could get them back if weather turned, and this was the boat. If I remember right it had two 200 hp motors and needed more. It was cold and drippy inside. It was very noisy, even when not moving. It vibrated badly under power. There wasn't much room inside for such a large boat, as there was so much flotation. The boat was designed to shed water, and the deck was self-bailing with large holes. Unfortunately, the flat surfaces of the bow seemed to shoot water out front, then the spray washed over the boat. It created a large wake at any speed. We consumed more gasoline than I have ever used in an entire day in my CD22 just going to Eliza and back. The only comparison in my mind would be a TomCat, and in that case, the Tomcat would certainly win in nearly everything except maybe ability to handle the worst weater. The chambered boat was perfect for them, since, though they might not go to the island in bad weather, it sometimes got bad, and they needed to get back to their businesses in Seattle. They didn't spend "quality" time on the boat. It was only for reliable transportation. If I were still young and more adventurous (you might read that "stupid"), didn't care about comfort, and still willing to go out in bad weather for fun, I might want one of these. This boat might have been better for Paul Sounders (Arctic Solitare) than a CD22 for his northern Hudson Bay trips if he could have afforded one. He probably wouldn't have felt he was about to die as often.
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Yup, ugly bit the model/HP you pick is important Reply with quote

Like all boating choices, first needs and then wants. At the lodge we went to pure novices are set loose on their own for five days in a row to figure out hoe to boat and fish with no guide. I found the StabiCraft perfect for the challenging conditions and long distances we traveled at 25-30 MPH on rough water. Open boat, we wore rubber foulies and rubber boots while spending over 10-12 hours a day in the boat (three of us). I never once was worried about the boat, Doc always says that the crew will give up before the StabiCraft does. I have operated many a Boston Whaler, other tinnies, pangas, Sea Rays, Bayliners, ski boats, and other OB powered craft, and all had their day but the ACB concept got my attention. Again, the StabiCraft models equal to a C-22 or a C-25 are huge money, way out of my range but a nice 17' -20' air chambered boat would be great by me. By the way, have noticed what our governmental agencies buy? Either ACB's or combo's with inflatable collars of one kind or another. First rule of boating is "Have a boat!" and the second rule is "Be Nice!!!"
Bob Jarrard
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Thought you might look to see pictures/owner's thoughts Reply with quote

Here are some links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv28xoT6fDw
https://stabicraft.com/the-boats/stabicraft/supercab/2500-ultracab/
Bob Jarrard
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussies and Kiwis have lots of cool boats that we normally never see in the States. Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: