The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/08 - 03/10 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics. What a great place to boat and gather. Only about 3 feet of snow here and still coming down. Ready for spring and softer water.

Jay
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info on the Sirius Signal C-1002 electronic distress signal Kitchen Gadget:

https://siriussignal.com/led-marine-flare-company-wins-coveted-waste-reduction-award-in-california/

https://siriussignal.com/shop/c-1002-sos-distress-light/

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the last day of our gathering here. Several boats pulled out today, several more will leave tomorrow. And a few of us will continue to cruise the St. John's River until life beckons us back home. Today's main event (besides more rain...) was the Galley Gadget and Boat Gear Show and Tell. Rosanne and I, and many if not most others, always learn of some new made or purchased product to make our lives on the boat a little simpler. The rest of the day was mostly one to visit and socialize. Or at least stay out of the rain. I'm not complaining, since I still don't have to shovel it. Mr. Green Those that joined in for a C-Brat supper, ate cold leftovers, or used the grill to warm them up. (Both them selves and their supper. Laughing ) I didn't count the boats, but believe at least two dozen. And Bill on Mystery Girl, the Ranger Tug. (He used to have a 22. Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat.) Of course can't forget Dr. Bob and Marie either. They came with their RV and stayed at the local KOA, and also had a boat with them that they used to get back and forth to Hontoon. Also had a visit from Joyce and Wolfgang of Dragon Fly fame. (They sold their boat for a Ranger Tug, but didn't have it with them during their visit.) We also have a few other boatless folk stop by to learn more about C-Dorys. All in all, even with the rain, another great C-Brat gathering in the books. Thanks Tom and Joyce!

Some photos from today:

One of the C-Brats showing his favorite Boat Gear

Rosanne showing her favorite galley gadget

Another galley gadget

Eileen totaling up the votes for the best gadget or gear. You can also see most the gadgets/gear displayed on the table

One of the winners picking out his prize

Reheating leftovers over the grill

Last supper of the gathering
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Thanks for posting all the pix. Fun to see them, and, with the captions.

I did see a C-Dory model on the table. Cool.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I tell you what Harvey, that was a pretty impressive gadget. Mark (I believe his name) of Waypoint, made that. I didn't get a chance to look at his boat, Waypoint, but sounds like he is a wonderful wood worker! The motors (twins you'll be happy to know), even moved up and down on that model! He also showed us his new Honda 2200 generator, in the first photo. I'm not sure which one won him a prize, but he's the one in the photo picking out his prize. Colby
CPlay

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CPlay
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further comments on Mark's amazing model. He carved a prototype from wood, then made a 3 piece mold from that, then cast the model he showed (and others) out of resin (that his chemist wife helped with). Very creative and labor intensive with impressive result!

Thank you Tom and Joyce for organizing this great gathering once again.
Thank you Colby for posting the great pics.

This may be of interest to any motor heads. Last year I ran my boat from Savannah to Hontoon and back with my old 2009 twin 115 Tohatsu TLDI 2-strokes. Average fuel economy was 2.4 NMPG. This years trip from Savannah to Hontoon was with new twin Mercury 90 Seapro 4-strokes. Average fuel economy was 2.45 NMPG. (Trailered boat home this year due impending bad weather. My old tow vehicle and old trailer made it with no issues thankfully.). Although not a good apples to apples comparison, my observation is that if you are comparing fuel injected outboards, fuel economy is more about the boat than the model or brand of motor.
-Jeff-
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Wonderful time at Hontoon Island! Best Gathering ever.....but I say that every year! Thanks to all those that volunteered to help with the many tasks associated with a gathering. That was just about everyone! THANKS ALL. Special thanks to Dr. Bob who shared hours of information on everything C-Dory.
Gulf coast John gave a great presentation on doing the American Great Loop on trailer trawlers. Ken doing the Jotform list. Colbys great photography is enjoyed by all and those that followed him on the Hontoon Loop were all smiles. Personal thanks to James and Cathy who were there for me when I needed them most.

It was great to get back together with old friends and make new ones. Love our boats but even more the C-Brat family! We had folks from distant areas come to see what C-Dory boats are like. Most of us traveled 100 miles or more to look them over before we bought one.

This is the first year that I did not do an after gathering trip. It was hard to leave this morning and not say goodbye to everyone but trust that we will see you all next year.

We will confirm next years dates soon. That will make 10 years.

I’ll be posting again in a day or two. We appreciate the thanks that we receive for doing this. Remember.....it’s not a “JOB” if you love to do something and we love the gathering.

Tom and Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:

I tell you what Harvey, that was a pretty impressive gadget. Mark (I believe his name) of Waypoint, made that. I didn't get a chance to look at his boat, Waypoint, but sounds like he is a wonderful wood worker! The motors (twins you'll be happy to know), even moved up and down on that model! He also showed us his new Honda 2200 generator, in the first photo. I'm not sure which one won him a prize, but he's the one in the photo picking out his prize. Colby

Yes, they are pretty neat models and YES they have TWINS. So Cool.
Gotta make this trip next year. Thanks for the pix, the notes and for putting it together again. Going for the 10th Anniversary Hontoon Hoot. What a challenge.

You all travel safe, stay healthy and see you next year.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all seem to agree, all of the gatherings are not just about the boats, but it is about the people you come to know and love as an extended family. We will keep coming back as long as we are able.

We had our 25' Winnebago "Via" RV, and towed our 18' Caracal Cat. On the way down, we lost power on the RV (Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis). (Long ago I had sworn I would never own another Mercedes product---but the RV layout was "perfect" for our uses...We could average about 45 mph on the level, dropped to as low as 18 mph up hill on bridges, and going downhill might get to 55mph.) We had the unit looked at in Deland by an independent Mercedes mechanic. There was a problem with the common rail module, a short, and we were not getting proper fuel pressure--thus less than 50% of the hp (probably about 70 hp). A repair would take over a week. John and Eileen (Cat o Mine) offered us a ride back to Pensacola, and Tom and Joyce (C Otter) pulled out boat out of the water to avoid risks there--and invited us to stay with them if we had to stay. Wonderful extended family!

As it was, we took back roads (Senic! and we have vowed to return to some areas), average speed going home 35 mph for 450 miles. But we made it home, and the Sprinter chassis goes to the local Mercedes dealer ASAP!

The Caracal Cat worked well, and was fun (we had a slip near the RV at the RV park next to Ed Stone launch ramp.) However, sine there were bouts of heavy rain--a couple of times I had to drive the boat back to the RV after dark in the rain--next time I will be sure to have my best foul weather gear aboard, rather than the light jacket I took. The Caracal Cat cruises nicely at 25 mph, and is an ideal boat for "bird" photography, and sight seeing! The ride is close to being as good as the Tom Cat.

Thanks to all who made this gathering such a wonderful and memorial affair!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Good to hear you are home safe and sound. the trip, It is what it is, and you make the best of it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the geocache idea was a bust. The local reviewers require a local geocacher be listed that can maintain my cache in my absence. Just wasn't worth the hassle of finding a local to do that, so on to plan B. I altered the prop birdhouse slightly, and then rehung it as just a birdhouse. Blue Creek has many (over 80) birdhouses hung along it, and mine is perhaps the most unique. If you are familiar with Blue Creek, and what I like to call "Alligator Island" at the north end, you will likely recognize the area in the photo. I'm hoping it'll hang for many years for C-Brats (and others) to see as they cruise Blue Creek, and that the decals will hold up just as long.

Hanging the birdhouse

Closeup of the hung birdhouse

Distant shot

After the gathering, Rosanne and I enjoyed cruising between Deep Creek to the south near Lake Harney, and Mud Springs to the north by Welaka. We enjoyed cruising with Mike on Ms. Jill and Bill on Mystery Girl, and anchoring and visiting with James on Molly Brown, Ken & Sharon on Sea Angel, and Dan and Peggy on Lake Effect. Rosanne and I are headed back to Hontoon tomorrow, and then loading out to head home on Sunday. Colby
repete

City/Region: PORT ORANGE, FL+ TRENTON, ME
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Hontoon Loop Reply with quote

We're locals but didn't make the "show" because we're not vaxed... hopefully things will be different next year...Our question concerns the Hontoon Loop... we're planning to do it before heading to Maine for the summer...
Did y'all make it through Canal#2 back to the St. John's or did you have to backtrack?

26' MacGregor 26M...2020
15.5' Zodiak FastRoller...1998
Cessna 185 on Floats...1992
20' Mako...1991
35' Duffy&Duffy Lobster Yacht...1989
22' Sisu...1984
17' Boston Whaler...1981
14' Sea Nymph...1972
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did y'all make it through Canal#2 back to the St. John's or did you have to backtrack?

The Canal is open and about a 40 foot tour boat goes thru at least once a day. No problem. This is the furthest South cut. The others are not passable.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're locals but didn't make the "show" because we're not vaxed... hopefully things will be different next year...Our question concerns the Hontoon Loop... we're planning to do it before heading to Maine for the summer...

The Hontoon Loop I speak of, is pretty much circumnavigating Hontoon Island. I usually do it clockwise. I'll start out from Hontoon, head east or upstream on the St. John's River. Go past Blue Springs, then I believe it's at the red dayboard #80, hang a right into that canal. It did seem this year to have a few more overhanging limbs, and some more dead falls along the edge, but there was still plenty of room to get our boats all the way through to the Hontoon Dead River on the other side. From there we go north again, and come back out on the St. John's just west of Hontoon State Park. Without stopping, it takes about 2 hours, as it's all no wake. (I run it at 5mph. There is a short section next to Blue Springs that is idle speed no wake, or about 3 mph.) You can run it counter clockwise which probably makes a little more sense with current flow and fuel efficiency. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the furthest South cut. The others are not passable.

Bob, that furthest cut south would be very near the end of the Hontoon Dead River, and is not passable in our boats. (I took my kayak into it this last trip, and couldn't get all the way through.) Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: