The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/08 - 03/10 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken for setting up the Jot Form. If everyone that is planning on coming signs up on the link it makes it easier for our volunteers. Also be sure to sign up on the C-Brats website. After the first of the year we will be looking at supplies and need a accurate count. Thanks

I called Dr. Bob today and he will do a presentation at the gathering health permitting. Id like to see a couple more if possible so ….let me know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the gathering. Just a few notes. We will be having our fund raising auction again this year so bring your nautical treasures with you for sale. All proceeds will go to bettering Hontoon Island state park. The auction will be held under the trees this year for everyones safety. Bring your own pencil or pen. Schedule for auction will depend on weather.

We’ve decided for simplicity this year to not have potlucks, as much as I’ve enjoyed them in the past. We will plan on Publix chicken, buns and potato salad on Tuesday night and do Pizza on Wednesday evening. Joyce and the other ladies will get a consensus on what pizzas are to be ordered. Thursday night will be leftover food. Bring your own additional food, dishes and silverware.

If anyone wants to grill out you’re welcome to do so. Bring your own meat. I’m not a fan of Pizza so I’ll have a charcoal fire going on Wednesday.

Boat gadgets and galley gadgets has become one of our favorite activities and not to be missed.

Of course if state rules for Covid change we will have to comply. We had NO problems last year and look forward for the same in 2022.

More after our current boat trip on the St. John’s river here in sunny Florida. Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The countdown is on for the 9th Annual Hontoon Island C-Brat get together.
A few reminders are in order.

1)if you park at Ed Stone park do so near the highway where they have the oversized parking if possible.
2) The area near the park is slow minimum wake and a manatee zone. No one wants to harm a manatee.
3) Be sure to be well provisioned for your time on the water.
4) Bring your “treasures “ for the silent auction and lots of cash or your check book for purchases. Sorry ....no Visa or Master Card.
5) We use channel 72 for communication.
6) We will have a nightly fire ring for those that wish to join in.
7) Bring your own chairs, writing instruments and eating utensils if possible.
Cool No potlucks again this year, but we will be serving food on Tuesday and Wednesday night. In order to simplify things, we will not have condiments. Tuesday we will serve Pizza and Wednesday Publix chicken, coleslaw, potato salad for those that wish to get together. Also a special cake on Wednesday!
9) We will have paper plates and disposable utensils available.
10)We will again take an offering to cover expenses each evening with any additional funds donated to the park.
11) Bring name tags if you have one, otherwise we have some on hand.
12) Limited ferry service to and from the island.
13) As in the past, volunteers will be needed and a signup will be upon check in.

I’ll be posting full schedule next Smile
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brats 2022 Hontoon Island Gathering
Monday:
Early arrivals.

Tuesday:
Continued arrivals. Check in and then Check out other boats. Plus, there’s exploring the island, canoeing, kayaking,
cruising or just plain relaxing on the beautiful St. John’s River.
Dinner: 5:15 Be sure to sign up in the morning for Pizza choice.
There will also be hot coals on the grill for anyone that wants to grill out.
Campfire after dusk: Bring your chairs and enjoy the company and stories of fellow C-Brats.

Wednesday
8:30 bring items to the tables for the silent auction. Auction begins at 10:00. Ends at 2:00
8:45 Skippers’ Meeting -- Cruising options, manatee protocol and more
9:45 Dr. Bobs presentation “C Dory Modifications”—safety and convenience. Information on LiFi PO4 batteries.
11:00 Gulf Coast John’s talks about trailer boats on the American Great Loop
2:00 End of Auction, pay and pick up your winnings by 3:00
Dinner: Publix Chicken dinner w/potato salad, rolls and cake for dessert!
Chicken will be here and ready to eat at 5:00 – 5:15
Campfire after dusk.

Thursday

10:00 Galley Gadgets & Boat Gear Bring your favorites to show and tell. Vote on the best ones. Prizes!!

Dinner 5:15 – Share leftover chicken and pizza.
Have anything you want grilled at the grill by 4:45.

Campfire after dusk....

Friday......Departure Day.....or not!

Head out or stick around. Go up river or down river. It’s always fun to break into small groups and go explore side rivers and creeks. You might go to DeLeon springs for pancakes or Sanford for German food. Lots of choices.

About two months to go.......looking forward to seeing you there.

Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW.......we have only 12 signups on the official C-Brat website. I’m sure that more are coming but please be sure to signup.

Only 6 Jotform signups..... please also use this link to make it easier for contacts. https://form.jotform.com/60634279765163

Thanks Tom
CPlay

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CPlay
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking nobody wanted to be #13 to sign up. Just did it, so now we are past that. I will take extra precautions of not departing on Friday and keeping bananas off the boat. Cindy and I are looking forward to it. (I have 2 new motors this year so I can't blame a botched docking on motor quitting like last year.)
-Jeff-
Kathryn

City/Region: Hampden-Sydney/Farmville,VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kathryn
Photos: Kathryn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Kathryn is coming. Reply with quote

We’ll be there in slip 8b. At least I hope to make it fir the gathering this timw—they say “3rd time’s charm”.

I have a couple of questions:

1. We are down on the St John’s right now for a week. Then we want to leave truck, trailer, and boat in FL until the gathering in March while we fly back north. Any suggestions for affirdable and SAFE parking for 8 weeks?

2. We’re heading down to Sanford tomorrow. Any suggestions of where to explore and/or ANCHOR between Hontoon Island and Sanford?

What about beyond Sanford? We’ve never gone further south.

Thanks for any suggestions. See you in March!

Jackie (and Bob) Hall

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. We are down on the St John’s right now for a week. Then we want to leave truck, trailer, and boat in FL until the gathering in March while we fly back north. Any suggestions for affirdable and SAFE parking for 8 weeks?

2. We’re heading down to Sanford tomorrow. Any suggestions of where to explore and/or ANCHOR between Hontoon Island and Sanford?

There are several that can respond better than I, but while you wait for their replies, I can offer a few suggestions.

1. Astor Marine may be able to do this for you.
2. The oxbow at Butcher's Bend is really nice. Also, if you take the Hontoon Dead River along the west side of Hontoon Island, there are a couple of nice spots in there. Might be able to find some small coves near Blue Springs State Park, which would be worth a visit while in the area.
3. Gets kind of tricky picking the right channels as you continue on the St. John's immediately out of Lake Monroe for the first couple of miles, but if you can pick your way through there, (which also affords some nice offshoots to anchor in), you can get down to Lake Harney. Just before Lake Harney is Deep Creek, which is fun to explore. The southern end of the St. John's is a little different from the north end, in my opinion. And worth exploring. Sanford has some free city docks along with a marina next door to them. Watch your charts and depths going in. If you have a garmin chartplotter, and can upload routes to it, I'd be happy to send you my St. John's River file that would have all my tracks in the area. Just send me your email address to send them to. (I have garmin, but the file is *.gdb, so if your chartplotter can read those type of files and you have a way to upload it, perhaps it would work.) Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Go South on Lake Monroe, staying toward the Western shore. There is a marked channel which you must stay in to continue up the St. John's River. If you don't haven navionics, then use the Navionics free chart viewer--it shows the deep part of the river. It is a nice cruise, once you get on the river. One of our favorite anchorages is Deep Creek--just before you come to Lake Harney. The last few years we have not been able to get any further because of the weeds. However about 6 years ago, Molly Brown and Thataway were able to get into the Mouth of the Econlockhatchee River (Econ). Here is a link to the paddling page about the Econ.

The entrance is shallow and difficult to find. I had used Google Earth to sort out where we went--but that can change. Molly Brown ran aground and we pulled them off--so it is a good idea to have two boats just in case--if not then a dinghy to help kedge off if necessary. Once in the Econ--it is a delight. Deep enough, very few boats--the C Dory is an oddity. The two boats anchored about 5 miles up--and in small oxbow. The next morning Thataway went on up the river. This is Florida cattle country. We got over 20 miles up--near the outskirts of Orlando--we could have gone further I guess--but didn't. It is worth looking at Harney to see if you can possibly get thru--and deep Creek is worth the trip anyway. You anchor along side some wonderful cypress knees.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathryn,

Several years ago we stored the rig at Astor Marine. Although it’s closed on Sunday, an owner came out and opened the gate for us to leave when our plans changed. She wouldn’t even take a tip.

Transient slips at the Sanford Marina are secure with cipher locks. Tom noted that the open public docks were free, but the adjacent park had a few harmless homeless folks who “might” try to pilfer stuff off the boat if no one was around. Anchor in Woodruff Creek.

The German restaurant is worth a visit!

https://www.hollerbachs.com/

I’m impressed that you’d rather pay for two flights and rig storage rather than tow a 700 mile segment separated by eight weeks of crew rest. I’d rather get a root canal than go through a TSA line these days.

Hope this time it’s The Charm and to see you at the Hontoon Hoot!

John

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie and Bob....if you prefer not to stay at the marina in Sanford, the second oxbow past Hwy 415 is water management district land with available primitive camping, and they provide 3 fire rings, first come/first serve. We like that spot because you have unobstructed views of the sunrise and sunset. I also like to watch the jets come in to Sanford as the flight path is parallel to the river. You also have a straight shot to view launches from Kennedy Space Center there as well.

Hey Jeff....You coming down on that TC24 on your own bottom again? Congrats on the new motors! We'll have lots to talk about Very Happy

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the second oxbow past Hwy 415 is water management district land with available primitive camping, and they provide 3 fire rings, first come/first serve

Hi James,
Do you have coordinates close by on that one? I was looking at my charts and I see Cameron Wright Park launch going into Lake Jesup, but can't figure out where that area is you are talking about. Think I might want to check it out after the gathering. Thanks. Colby
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby:

N28*48.054
W081*11.384
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Colby:

N28*48.054
W081*11.384

That sounds COOL.

Coming from the way Upper Left Corner, below the BIG line, we don't have Bugs here. What should I expect down there this time of year? OH, and I'm not talking about the 8 foot long, 4 legged ones, but those too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James. On my chart it shows as Brickyard Slough and Prairie Landing. I plugged that into my computer charts and will upload it into my chartplotter to check out in March.
Harvey, I don't think they have too many bugs right now. And Tom likes to keep the Hontoon Gathering in early March before the bugs really come out. Even then, sometimes the mosquitoes and knats can start to get annoying. Colby
CPlay

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: CPlay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James,

Yes I am planning to run the boat from home to Hontoon this year. I will trailer as a back up only if weather looks bad. Tow vehicle is old (230K miles) and trailer is older (1998 with countless salt water dunkings), so boat itself is most likely to get me to Hontoon by Monday evening, and back to work the following Monday without a breakdown. Plus, and most important, boating beats trailering on the scale of enjoyment.

Also, this might be of interest to anyone thinking of a trip north from Hontoon. Last year I ran from my house, 15 miles south of Savannah, to Hontoon in a leisurely 3 days for a trip distance of 230 NM measured by GPS. I did the return trip in 2 easy 9 hour days. 230 NM / 18 hours is 12.8 knots average speed. I almost never go over 20 knots and a fair amount of time was spent at trawler speed.

To me, the ST. Johns river is very scenic from Palatka south. From Palatka to Jacksonville, river is big, wide and much less picturesque. Downtown Jacksonville is more fun seeing from the water than from I-95.
The Georgia ICW is always a great. Marshlands, barrier islands, 7-10 ft tides, uncrowded.

-Jeff-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: