MFD/VHF - axiom/ICOM-M605?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: MFD/VHF - axiom/ICOM-M605? Reply with quote

OK - after some time away was able to get down to the boat and pulled the MFD e7d raymarine and cable. It was feeding GPS into an icom M-302 VHF unit as well (0183). I rigged up a motor cycle battery to the unit with a 10A inline fuse and bypassed the cable (I was hoping just the cable or connector had gone bad), but the inline fuse burned immediately. So, I don't think it is worth investing anymore time trying to take the unit apart and fiddling with the power circuit - unless someone has looked at the innards before and would say otherwise?

So, moving on. Looking at the axiom+ 9 RV as noted earlier, but that is 2000 and not 0183. Looks like you might be able to convert with a actisense converter - but is that worth it? Or should I also upgrade the M302 to a M605 and get AIS recv and its own GPS. Could be completely separate from axiom unless I wanted to feed AIS to axiom, etc... M605 has its own screen for AIS display - albeit small.

None of this is cheap. The reason to get the axiom now is that when/if my gladiator auto quits I can move to a EV150 autopilot. I think I can still use the P58 transom transducer into the axiom with a converter cable...

Maybe the axiom is overkill if I upgrade the VHF anyway? Are Raymarine MFDs overpriced? I think the e7D is fairly old but it is not out in the elements and pretty protected - so not sure why it would just "go bad".

Right now I am running an ipad temporarily for charting and radar (I had the ipad for radar already).
K
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions first:

" . . . I think the e7D is fairly old but it is not out in the elements and pretty protected - so not sure why it would just "go bad"."

So what exactly is bad about the e7D? That it burned up a fuse? What was between the fuse and the e7D?

" . . . Or should I also upgrade the M302 to a M605 and get AIS recv and its own GPS. Could be completely separate from axiom unless I wanted to feed AIS to axiom, etc... M605 has its own screen for AIS display - albeit small."

You could do that, but as you said that screen is small. Another option would be the ICOM M-506 with AIS. The screen will be the same size, but not color, will have the same functions (less the user choices on how to set up the radio with up to three stations. Boaters can now add an exclusive complete display as another station on the vessel along with two COMMANDMICS™ ) Nice capabilities but not likely something you will be using in the future (your choice though). The M-506 will also save you about 3-400 bucks.

AS to the screen being small, It is usable, I have an M-506, and for the AIS, you can see the relationship between you and the other vessels, but it is very different than when you have them on a plotter display, and the plotter display is sooooo much easier to use the AIS functions than on that screen. Plotter display will take 2 seconds to get TTCA (Time To Closest Approach) and Distance to Closest Approach. On the VHF screen it will take about 12 to 15 seconds to go through the menu. (Don't get me wrong here, I love the ICOM M-506 and it has the easiest, most user friendly menu on a vhf but that is still time taken away from watching the water and the plotter.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

krc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: more detail Reply with quote

e7D doesn't power up. I noticed fuse was burned so replaced. Immediately blows again. So rigged up a test bed with battery and direct wired to the power pin with an inline fuse - and again simply blows so there must be an internal short in the unit.

One worry with the axiom+ is it is touch only, though you can add a keyboard peripheral if you want.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old radio died, so I upgraded to the Standard Horizon gx 2400b. It has incoming AIS & though also a small screen, shows the AIS data on the Axiom 9 through the nmea 2000. Personally the AIS upgrade wouldn’t be worth it to me without the ability to show it on the larger chart plotter. The radio was a little over $400 & a lot of capability for the price. ICOM makes great radios, but for capability & price it’s hard to beat the new Standard Horizon gx 2400b.

As far as touch screen goes with the Axiom 9. I have used the IPad touch screen & Axiom 9 & even with my diagnosis of essential tremors causing both thumb & pointy finger to move uncontrollably at times, I still prefer the touch screen, though still have the small Garmin too. The touch screen hasn’t been a problem even on rough water. I find it easier to maneuver through, then using the push buttons on the conventional.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the club of 2 VHF radios-the M302 x is a 2003 design. There have been improvements including safety since then. But for a second transceiver the 302 is still fine.

I have both a all touch screen Axiom and a hybrid (most use is when it is rough, and the touch only is harder to use.

The P58 transducer may limit what you can do with the Axiom 9, which has down scan Real Vision and CHRIP. The scans and Real Vision are sort of what "makes" the Axiom.

The Icon 506 has different models, so be sure to get the one with AIS, If you want you can send the AIS information to one of your chart plotters (the e7D should be able to be interfaced.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
krc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: NMEA 2000 network Reply with quote

Thanks Jay -
Did you get a NMEA2000 network kit to connect the axiom 9 and your GX2400?
I am leaning toward the GX2400 just based on price as the I-COM is a bit more money. Was there a specific kit you used?

And do you need to make sure the radio is on before starting up the axiom? (I have read of some incompatibilities).

Thanks!
K
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, last winter prior to the new vhf radio install, I replaced my old Garmin 545 & S1000 Raymarine auto pilot with the Raymarine Axiom 9 & EV 150 auto pilot plus Honda H4 gauges. This required setting up & combining a Raymarine Seatalk & nmea 2000 network, so all the complicated stuff was done, when adding the nmea 2000 & AIS capable GX2400b this fall. For me who knew nothing about this it was quite a learning process, but much cheaper then someone else doing it. If you want to combine the radio & Axiom 9 & later a EV 150 auto pilot you will have to do the same. There’s no easy way around doing this yourself & no simple kits like there would be with just nmea 2000. To just combine the radio & Axiom a basic nmea 2000 network will do & can be purchased many places on the internet. A lot of mine came from Amazon & my main network is Raymarine Seatalk with adapter cables to make the Nmea 2000 work with it.

The radio, axiom plotter & auto pilot are all turned on at the same time by a auxiliary power switch on the dash. They can be turned off & on individually if desired. All coming on at once has not created any problems

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRC, just want to reinforce what Bob said ---> Join the 2 VHF radio club and add an additional vhf rather than replace one.

Yes the SH GX2400b one will be less $$$ and yes it will do MUCH of the same things the ICOM M-506 will EXCEPT for the "Last Call 2 minute Recording" feature.

A main difference in my opinion, (and I have both Standard Horizon and ICOM vhfs) is that the operating menu on the ICOM is SOOOOO much more simple to operate -- to find what you want quickly -- than any other VHF I have tried.

That plus the Last Call recording for me made it worth the extra $$$.

And Yes, you will want the AIS data showing on your plotter.

ON EDIT:
I did find this on the SH site ( A nice warrantee note:
Quote:
Because the MATRIX is built better, it’s back better. If your Standard Horizon MATRIX ever fails for any reason including water damage during normal use in the first three years, STANDARD HORIZON will repair or replace it free, without hassle or charges…period! If it fails thereafter in normal use it for the life time of the product it is covered by Standard Horizon’s Lifetime Flat Rate Service and Customer Loyalty Programs.

BUT I could not find the size of the "Big" screen. From the photos it appears the screen is the same size as the other SH VHFs. IN that case, it is about 2/3rds the size of the ICOM screen. That will make a difference if you are trying to us that screen to figure who is closer and who is getting to you faster.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment on the Icom 506--that has been replaced by the 510. Larger and color screen--more expensive. Apparently most of the 506's have been bought up. Long discussion. on "The Hull Truth" electronics from, since the 510 does not. have a MNEA 2000 connection--but it has wifi, connects to iPhone or I pad/anroid type OS. The NMEA and loud hailer costs another $200 (depending on vender). The Standard Horizon vs the comparable Icom- right now if you want the NMEA 2000 the Icom appears to be several hundred dollars more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: