The Galley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: The Galley Reply with quote

I have a 1990 22' Cruiser with a two burner alcohol stove. Has anyone upgraded to the new Wallas Stove? Is the hole in the counter top the same size? Are the instructions for venting complete?
I understand that the Wallas Stove makes a good safe space heater. Is that correct?
Thanks,
Dick

SOLD IT. Bought my 1990 22' C-Dory Cruiser new in Fairfield CA. Lived in Vallejo CA. Fished the bays and the Sacramento River. Towed it across country in 1995 to Maryland. Lived in Tall Timbers MD and fished the Potomac River. Towed the C-Dory to Maine in 2001. Now settled and will be fishing the rivers, bays and Atlantic. Boats Name: Hunky Dory. Yes another "Hunky Dory".
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the wallas sense the boat was new but others have done the switch out. As far as a heater I would not go and the wife "WILL NOT GO" with out the heater being in perfect working order. keeping it that way is some times a pain. I have taken apart, cleaned, and reassambled ours 5 times. Should not have a few times, but hey i was bored. I think that having the top up, which shuts the fan down, allows the wallas to light easier. less power going to the fan. the electric ignitor has to have at lest 10 volts to start. once started and warmed up close the top and enjoy. When we took jim and joyce from texas out they really enjoyed the heater. Susan put up the top and enclosed the back of the boat with the camper canvas and left the door open to the cabin. Susan and joyce were both warn enough sitting on the back deck talking while we were cruising. We have also used ours for the night in the san jauns when it snowed and stayed warm. its a little colder in the v-berth but that give us a reason to snuggle.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love my wallas, and like Tom and some others, I need a little work done on mine now to get it back to 100%. If I did not have it...I would take the time to peak at the Dickenson heaters. They have one about the size of a shoe box that is real neat and you can watch the fire too. Advantages and disadvantages with just about any system you pick. Basically on my wallas, the little "spring washer nut" that holds the fan in the "toliet paper sized tube" to supply the air/vent movement slipped down, and shut down my heater. I do like the fact that when things are not 100% on the wallas, it does shut down. Karl told me to push the fan blades assembly back up to "where I thought it was right...but not to far up as to block the air...and super glue it." I did. It works great on high down to about mid-range, but choaks down a bit on low....so, I just burn her a little warmer and open the windows a little more for temp control. Now, I really need to just take her out and send her back to Karl...but, when do I really want my boat to be without it...?

As for starting the wallas....I simply keep in mind it is diesel in design, and like all diesel engines....they need to warm up good before you go using them and putting loads on them...and for me, this includes the fan that comes on when you lower the top. I just leave my top up for about 5 minutes and run the unit on high...then lower the top and the temp if needed.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, we upgraded from the original alcohol stove to the Wallas and absolutely love it. There have been no real problems to date. When we first upgraded, I kept the original countertop, and made up the difference with an elaborate teak surround. In other words, the units are not the same size, the Wallas being a bit smaller. But eventually, we ordered a new countertop from the factory which cleaned things up aesthetically and gave us more counter space. Neither the original installation nor the new countertop were terrifically difficult, given a normal amount of skill.
Al

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the hole in the counter top is too large. I have an '89 and I replaced my counter-top with "Nevamar" laminate (a Formica type product) glued onto plywood and re-cut for the Wallas. Perfect(factory?) match. Sorry, I don't have the product# handy. Installation, wiring, and venting is simple. The Wallas is an AWESOME space-heater! It is SO important that I won't leave port w/o it.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the upgrade done at the factory last August. Replaced the counter top. Love that Wallas. Should have ordered it in the first place, buy----- hey, I'm in southern California---- who needs a heater?????!!!
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Formica color that matches the best is Antique White 932-58.
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: The Galley Reply with quote

I've since noticed that this topic is extensively covered on the C-Dog website.
Thanks for your help,
Dick
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick, I'm assuming your '90 has wood-grain cabinetry. Here and here . Tank sits under the stove and the exhaust exits as shown. The laminate is Nevamar Golden Ash Textured, # WM-8-110T. My stove is 12 years old and burns kerosene exclusively. The newer ones will run diesel as well, I believe. Scan just got the latest and greatest model 3 weeks ago. Brushless motors are one improvement. 25 % more btus than mine. $1525.00 as I recall.
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,
We had to up-grade from the alcohol stove and are very glad we did. The Wallas requires a smaller hole. We have a spacer board on top of the counter whichcreats a ridge but raises the blower for better air circulation. You can come see it in the backyard any time.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my alcahol stove with a propane stove.... I would have liked the Wallas but it is too much money and too many problems.
I installed a Dickerson unit that was a bit smaller than the alcahol but all that was needed is to shim the hole and lay a new sheet of formica over the top...worked fine... The system uses a 1 gallon tank mounted in the port lazerate, hooked to a solenoid valve and controled by a switch in the cabin... I had a marine surveor help me lay it out so it would be safe and up to code.
Works Super and cost roughly about $600 total.

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a a three burner propane stove and a Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater behind the helm in the galley:

The 5 gallon tank is in the motorwell, and I have propane, carbon monoxide and fire detectors as well as circulation fan controls in the cabin.

The installation step-by-step can be found starting here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Cabin,Interior&id=Force_10_Cozy_Cabin_Heater_in_Sea_Wolf&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Happy to answer any questions!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... a little bit of simplicity may be in order here....and, many of us enjoy cooking out on the banks of islands and sandbars.... so, here is an idea, and many of us already have the main product....just sitting there gathering dust in the garage.

Byrdman

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw the perfect camping fire pit ring. It was cheap, light weight, deep , good air flow and can be found almost anywhere in the country. The barrel of a dryer. many old dryers line back country roads or garages so cost in nothing. The only weight aobut 4 lbs, they have nothing but air holes for flow and most are two to three feet deep on end. I watched a guy pull out a well used one at a camp. He set it on end and filled it with wood. he did use seveal bricks to keep the small end off the ground so he could build a starter fire under it. With the thin metal and air holes it radiated heat in every direction. At the end of the weekend he just empyted it out and hosed it off, back in the truck it went till next time.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One advantage of the Wallas heater over the Dickinson or Hi Seas, is that the Wallas will not back draft, a problem with the pot type of heaters. It also does not need pre heat, which is necessary in Primus type of pressure kerosene burners.

For simplicity of use, nothing beats propane--but we choose Wallas for the new boat--even in Florida!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: