The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

General Maintenance Out Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: General Maintenance Out Board Reply with quote

I brought my boat/ motor in for some general maintenance today . My motor was running strong with no issues but I thought it wouldn't hurt. I had bought some parts online from Browns Point Marine for my Suzuki 1999 DF 70. I replaced the timing belt, replaced the High Pressure and inline fuel filters, replaced the impeller/pump kit, they did some adjustment on the throttle cable and gear shifter. Mechanic said he replaced the timing belt but the old one was still okay, everything was good and that they don't motors like that anymore. I'm glad I finally got around to doing some motor maintenance . Labor was $ 129.99 / hour . So with parts and labor it was about $ 1000.00 , that's about $100/year for for the 10 years since I own my boat not including winterizing and gas. That's really is cheap for all the enjoyment I get for six months of the year fishing.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some stuff myself, but I take mine into my mechanic about every third year and it ends up costing me about $1000 for the variety of things that get done. Still not a bad deal in my book. I tell my wife that I'm taking the boat in for it's $1000 oil change.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On newer fuel injected 4-stroke modern outboards; what maintenance is really needed other than oil changes, bottom end gear lube, fuel & oil filters? Every few hundred hours maybe the impellor, timing belt, and spark plugs could be changed out, and perhaps the valve lash checked? With shim under bucket valves even those take a long time to need adjustments. What else is being done with these $1000 maintenance bills?
johnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knipet wrote:
On newer fuel injected 4-stroke modern outboards; what maintenance is really needed other than oil changes, bottom end gear lube, fuel & oil filters? Every few hundred hours maybe the impellor, timing belt, and spark plugs could be changed out, and perhaps the valve lash checked? With shim under bucket valves even those take a long time to need adjustments. What else is being done with these $1000 maintenance bills?

Well, until about two weeks ago, I didn't have a "newer fuel injected" outboard on my boat. But, anyway, it doesn't take much to get the bill up to $1000 around here and it's not all outboard work anyway, at least for me. There always seems to be something amiss with my non-hydraulic steering, my prop is dinged and I have take that in to get that fixed, the trim tabs are acting up, the motor tilt switch on the motor stopped working, the bracket that holds and raises the kicker motor doesn't work anymore and I need to get that replaced, bottom painting, there's always something and sometimes many somethings.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't seem too bad at all. We had a Parker with a 225 Yamaha on the back. I told the local boat yard to get it ready to go offshore, I needed to trust it. So he did all the usual maintenance, impeller, lower unit oil, greased all the zerts, changed the filters, etc., the bill was around $1400. I was a little shocked I'm not gonna lie. I normally do it all myself, and will continue to do so unless its outside my comfort zone.
Tug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully mine will last a few more years. I have always wanted a Suzuki DF90 on my boat , it would match my boat perfectly.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
... I needed to trust it. So he did all the usual maintenance, impeller, lower unit oil, greased all the zerts, changed the filters, etc., the bill was around $1400. ....

This assumes that you can trust the mechanic who does the work. Yeah, there may be a warranty on the work, but that's not going to help you all that much when you're offshore and the motor quits.

I prefer to do all the work on my engine that I can. That way I know the work is up to my standards.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

I prefer to do all the work on my engine that I can. That way I know the work is up to my standards.

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have gone to the internet to learn on how to maintain our Suzuki outboard motor. I replaced the internal anodes at 260 hours (photo of these anodes are in our C-Brats album as they look pretty bad) as they were actually overdue for replacement according to the Suzuki recommended maintenance interval. My wife helped me to replace the impeller at 300 hours (as it helps to have a second hand to raise the lower unit for reinstall) and to have done all of the oil and filter changes ourselves. It feels good knowing that the job was done correctly and that we saved money in the process. Smile

johnr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
... I needed to trust it. So he did all the usual maintenance, impeller, lower unit oil, greased all the zerts, changed the filters, etc., the bill was around $1400. ....

This assumes that you can trust the mechanic who does the work. Yeah, there may be a warranty on the work, but that's not going to help you all that much when you're offshore and the motor quits.

I'm not worried about the quality of work from my mechanic. I used to do much more of my own work, and will likely do more again some day when the kids are grown. I enjoy it. However, I'm at a point in my life right now where I have more money than time, more dollars than sense, and I only do the things that only I can do.
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a question, can you run your boat on the trailer just using the flush port/ water hose . I always have trouble using the muffs since they are always sliding all over and is there a way to secure the muffs to keep them in place. Thanks.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug,
The flush port on outboards, does not take the water in, on the inlet side of the pump. The engine should never be operated, while flushing, with the flush port.
As a side note, I find that the outboard retains the water, while flushing, with the flush port, much better, if the outboard is tilted up.
I overhaul a lot of outboards and this question has come up many times...When I went to Yamaha school, shortly after flush ports, were installed on outboards, I asked this question on day one and the tech, did not have a fast and solid answer, but found out shortly, what I have stated above...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
Here is a question, can you run your boat on the trailer just using the flush port/ water hose . I always have trouble using the muffs since they are always sliding all over and is there a way to secure the muffs to keep them in place. Thanks.

No! Always use the muffs or a garbage can full of water. Thumbs Up
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the flush port, before I posted I called a friend and he said he it was okay. Lucky I waited and checked this site. Thanks for the advice. Now what can you do about securing the muffs to the leg, mine always slip and slide around. Thanks
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related... when running the outboard on trailer with muffs, could I or should I put it in gear at all? My muffs stay on just fine and I've only idled in neutral so far, but I've wondered if putting it in gear once in awhile might be a good idea (taking care to keep things clear of the prop, obviously).
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:

Get different muffs. They come in many different styles and sizes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: