The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge pump switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van_Vader

City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Consuela
Photos: Consuela
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump switch Reply with quote

I've got a bilge pump issue I'm trying to solve. When you push the manual bilge button the pump runs, but when you go back to auto it will not shut off. I believe the issue is with the switch. The voltmeter shows no voltage going to the the manual side, but as soon as I test the manual and go back to auto the voltage stays on.
Does anyone know where I can find a switch that will match the other switches. I can't seem to find a brand on the switch.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bilge pumps have two ways to turn them on. One will be a manual switch at the helm or console. The second way is a float or water sensing switch on the pump itself, or near by. The wiring for this switch goes directly from the battery or from a bus bar by the house battery.

What happens is when you put the switch on manual, then a column of water from the bilge pump fills the discharge hose. Most do not have a back flow valve. (Or if they have the valve, they often stick closed or open). When the pump tends to shut off, then this column of water often flows back down, and activates the pump switch again.--setting off a cyclic function of off and on sequences.

I would not turn off the automatic pump, because that may save your boat if there is a heavy rain etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd search for the float switch and see if it is gunked up or sticking for some other reason. Or if it's one of the style pumps that run every few minutes to see if it senses water, wait a few minutes in auto and see if it shuts off. If it is one of those styles, replace it with one that uses an internal or external float switch. Otherwise it will constantly be drawing power...
Van_Vader

City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Consuela
Photos: Consuela
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up replacing the switch and the old rocker cover fit on the new switch, so it matches with the rest.

The bad news was the problem was not the switch. The problem ended up being the aft bilge pump had a electrical problem. When you switched it to manual it was feeding power through the manual on wire to the switch which the center bilge was also wired together on the post. Which was causing the mid bilge to run continuous. Replaced the back bilge and the problem went away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: