The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 Venture bilge water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbahn

City/Region: Modesto
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sláinte
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: 2006 Venture bilge water Reply with quote

Looking at what seems to be a very solid 23 Venture. Current owner reports a previous interested party backed out of buying due to some fresh bilge water seen looking into inspection port between aft deck and the hull. Not sure of the source of the freshwater. Boat is in a slip in the sound PNW. I've seen many a bilge with some water. Doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. Seriously considering this boat. Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Thanks!
Paul
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible on the C-Dory 22 for rain water to get under the floor and even into the cabin through the joint where the cockpit floor meets the aft cabin bulkhead.

My boat had this problem which is solved with some 3M 5200. There are other posts about water under the cockpit floor on this sight. Water in a CD22 tends to collect around the aft cabin bulkhead, not in the bilge sump in most cases when the boat is unused.

Don't know if this also occurs on the Venture.

Could also be a problem with the fresh water system on that boat.

But given that the water that was found was fresh water, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I would just find the source and fix it. Can be a little time consuming to find it though.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build detail of a 23 Venture is far different than a 22 Cdory.

Most people would want a layer of gelcoat over the laminate layer if the area will have standing water. Look in the inspection port to see if it had been gelcoated.

Then describe what you see to some fiberglass repair shops.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Venture 23 Reply with quote

On the venture 23 that cape cruiser built I have a 2006 model 3rd boat out of mold I find that the water gets in through numerous ways
1 Anchor locker Sealing up locker with 5200 seems to fix this problem
2 water intrudes in the seam between cabin and cockpit this is a maintenance item that needs to be addressed every few years
3 Once water lays on deck and the bilge stops working battery dead or clogged pump water will build up and seep into cabin through the cockpit to cabin seem
4 Water will flow all the way up to front of boat there seems to be a channel or holes but water will stay in between hulls if no given a chance to get out
5 Some of the ways to remedy this situation Put a big inspection plate in forward v berth and put a bilge pump in there Also put inspection plates 3 in between gas tanks and in the cabin I also put in a plug so water could flow back to rear bilge pump This was accomplished using a long drill bit extension through the exit drain hole that all boats have Once hole was drilled clean up hole and screw in drain plug I hope this helps Go look at my photos Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: