View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Seeking Advice on MFD Reply with quote

The last time out in Daydream a couple of days ago we turned on the (2005) Raymarine C-80 as we were about to leave the Blaine Marina. The display was only showing horizontal lines. We were only going around to Birch Bay to retrieve our crab pots but it was kind of distressing because we had a waypoint for the location of each pot. When we rounded Birch Point, the display went back to the normal chart display.

We need to have a reliable chart plotter, and we have now lost confidence in the C-80. At 16 years old, there is no point in trying to repair it. Everything that feeds into it (depth sounder and radar) is also 2005 vintage. I have installed an N2K backbone and an N2K GPS receiver to feed our Suzuki engine display, the GPS was necessary for it to display speed and instantaneous and average fuel economy. So we could just plug an N2K MFD into the backbone for everything except depth and radar. Radar I think we can do without but not depth. The current transducer is cabled to a Raymarine Depth Sounder Module (DSM) located under the sink, which in turn is wired to the C-80.

We are now only likely to cruise in Puget Sound, the San Juans, and Canada as far as possibly the Broughtons. My iPad already has chart plotter apps with all the chart data we would need.

So, a couple of questions. First, we need a depth sounder, and I don't know what if anything we could do with what is already installed. I suppose the Raymarine DSM needs to go along with the C-80. But would a moderately priced N2K MFD make sense? What about chart data? I just do not subscribe to the "subscription" model of chart data as a service. Can any MFDs use NOAA electronic charts, possibly downloaded and transferred to an SD card? What about depth? Could I connect the existing transducer to a new MFD or would I need a new transducer? Or should I just bag the new MFD and get a dedicated depth sounder with a stand-alone display?

And our VHF is also 16 years old, could a new VHF with AIS send and receive be connected to the N2K backbone and display on a new MFD? That would weigh in favor of a new MFD is this is feasible.

As you can tell, I have not kept up with the state of the art in boat electroncis over the last 16 years since Les at EQ installed our Raymarine stuff!

I would appreciate you best advice. It is not urgent now, as we are about to pull Daydream out of the water and put her in our garage, but we need to get this solved (solved and installed) before next boating season!

Thanks for your sage advice!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the charts I like Navionics. You buy them outright on a microSD card (~US$100-200 depending on what you buy). You get free updates for a year. After that you can get buy another update for about 1/2 price when you want it.

Since the charts don't really change very often (ask NOAA how often they survey areas, ha ha), I buy an update every few years.

Only thing to keep in mind is that not all plotters work with all charts. for example, even though Garmin now owns Navionics, Navionics charts don't work in Garmin plotters (go figure...), you have to use the Garmin chart product (not my favorite). Garmin will probably incorporate some of the Navionics features into their own charts

There is a website somewhere online that compares the different chart products. Figure which charts you like and then choose a plotter that supports them.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Harvey. He highly recommends an electronic shop, I think in Portland, for advice, service and sales.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin now sales plotters with Navioncs pre loaded. 800-900 would get you a plotter, built in gps, and chirp sonar. It would have N2k functions. The problem is compatibility between the old and new gear. For radar you can use the new Furuno with an iPad.

ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Garmin now sales plotters with Navioncs pre loaded. 800-900 would get you a plotter, built in gps, and chirp sonar. ...

As of March this year, Garmin products did not support Navionics. I was shopping for a new plotter for my boat and was specifically told that they did not (at that time anyway). So I got a different brand.

Last edited by ssobol on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you will be able to use any of the old depth sounding equipment.
All of the manufactures make quality gear. As Jody noted Garmin has started using a combination of Navionics and their Blue Charts in the display.

RayMarine uses Navionics as wall as the "lighthouse charts". Can you put the location of your pots on the I pad Navionics? Only a few months ago Teledyne. purchased FLIR including RayMarine. This bodes well for the brand going forward.

You can get a cheap depth finder and forgo a full MDF. I am not sure that is the way to go if you also want a GPS plotter. For example on my Caracal I have a small screen Lawrence depth sounder. All eyeball navigation, so I don't often use a chart plotter.

Newer depth finders/MFD come with CHIRP,and down scan--some come with side scan also. Others have real time bottom readings. Although you may not initially see the necessity for these, I have found them often invaluable to see the type of bottom when anchoring--not just for fishing.

You should upgrade the radio. Several from both Standard Horizon and Icom will have the receive only AIS. Do you really need transmit AIS. If so, I would consider the B+, which take precedence over the B, but not over the A (commercial grade).

Also top end VHF will have a recording loop for the last xx seconds of broadcast, if you hear a distress call and want to double check its information.

If you going to get a AIS transmitter, then I suggest that you get an official FCC MMSI number rather than the free one from Boat US (Free with subscription to magazine and membership for. $25 a year. Many of the new VHF will have the GPS internal to the radio. But if you want to show AIS data on your, Lawrence, or Raymarine Radio they should interface with their MFD. They may not necessary work across brands.

As to brand: I find the Garmin easiest to use. I have Raymarine on the C Dory25, and they are up to date. Not hard once you learn the screens and transfer. I have the perception that there are currently more complaints about the Lorance/Simrad lines, but they are also certainly good instruments.

I always suggest going to an electronics store (or even Worst Marine to play with the new MDF and see what you like the best as far seeming intuitive for you.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want/need the latest and greatest you can buy used stuff online for a significant savings. It'll be better than what you have now.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I recommend that you go to Rogers marine in Portland, Or. (Only a few miles north of where you got your Suzuki 200 installed at Sportcraft). They specialize in Marine Electronics and have lots of demo units on display. We will have AIS and Autopilot installed by them in November. They do good work and will give you great advise.

jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
jkidd wrote:
Garmin now sales plotters with Navioncs pre loaded. 800-900 would get you a plotter, built in gps, and chirp sonar. ...

As of March this year, Garmin products did not support Navionics. I was shopping for a new plotter for my boat and was specifically told that they did not (at that time anyway). So I got a different brand.

This is one I purchased a few months back to go in my side by side. I’m not using the mapping because I loaded topographical maps for offroad but here is the description.

Garmin Echomap Uhd 73cv Us LakevÜ G3 W/Gt24uhd-Tm Transducer

ECHOMAP™ UHD 73cv US LakeVü g3 with GT24UHD-TM Transducer

Find more fish using the ECHOMAP™ UHD 73cv combo with a bright, sunlight-readable 7” touchscreen with keyed assist. The included GT24 transducer provides Ultra High-Definition ClearVü scanning sonar, so you get a crystal-clear image of what is below your boat, and Garmin high wide CHIRP traditional sonar delivers remarkable target separation. Preloaded LakeVü g3 inland maps with integrated Navionics® data cover more than 17,000 lakes with up to 1’ contours. It features a quick-release bail mount, making it easy to remove and take with you. NMEA 2000® and NMEA 0183 network support provides you with engine data, sensor connection, autopilot integration, FUSION-Link™ audio system and more. ECHOMAP™ UHD 73cv is even compatible with the Force™ trolling motor for full control of the motor from the screen plus the ability to route to waypoints, follow tracks and more.

Features:

Bright, sunlight-readable 7” touchscreen with keyed assist
Includes GT24 transducer for Ultra High-Definition ClearVü scanning sonar and Garmin high wide CHIRP traditional sonar
Preloaded LakeVü g3 inland maps with integrated Navionics® data cover more than 17,000 lakes with up to 1’ contours
Supports Panoptix™ all-seeing sonar, including Panoptix LiveScope™ sonar
Sonar sharing capabilities with other ECHOMAP™ Plus, ECHOMAP UHD and ECHOMAP Ultra units
NMEA 2000® and NMEA 0183 network support for autopilot, FUSION-Link™ audio system and engine data
Quick-release bail mount for fast and easy mobility
Compatible with Force™ trolling motor for full control of the motor from the screen plus the ability to route to waypoints, follow tracks and more
Included Transducer

This chartplotter comes with a GT24 transducer for Ultra High-Definition ClearVü scanning sonar, which shows you a crystal-clear image below your boat. Plus, you get Garmin high wide CHIRP traditional sonar for remarkable target separation.

Sonar Support

This chartplotter supports a variety of Garmin transducers (sold separately), including the Panoptix LiveScope™ scanning sonar system, which lets you see all around your boat in real time.

Preloaded Mapping

Experience unparalleled coverage and detail with preloaded LakeVü g3 inland maps featuring integrated Navionics® data that covers more than 17,000 lakes with up to 1’ contours.

Quickdraw Contours

Create personalized fishing maps on-screen with 1’ contours. Keep the data to yourself, or share it with the Quickdraw Community on Garmin Connect™.
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off of Garmins website.

PRELOADED CHARTS

Experience unparalleled coverage and detail with preloaded BlueChart® g3 coastal charts featuring integrated Navionics® data. Charts cover the coastal U.S., including the East and West coasts, Gulf of Mexico and the U.S. and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had problems with my C80 and later C120 I downloaded the latest software to solve the issues.
https://www.raymarine.eu/service-and-support/software-updates/mfds/legacy/cseries-classic.html?_ga=2.59237293.1268660668.1630887054-281449598.1630887054

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
Several months ago, I when though this same drill. I had a Garmin Echomap 7" screen, that was capable of both NEMA0183 & NEMA 2000. I have a Standard Horizon VHF that receives AIS using NEMA0183. I also have a Raymarine C80, that is forward of my throttle. The C80 works and I use it for radar only.
My vision is not as great as it once was, so, I wanted a bigger screen, above the helm. I ended up with a Garmin Echomap 9" and an em-trak B953 class B S
OTDMA transponder with integrated VHF splitter and NEMA2000.
I am very happy with the final installation. My outboard is not NEMA2000, but the plotter showed everything else, including the Garmin auto plotter.
My normal area of operations has LOTS of commercial shipping traffic, as well as a regular flow of larger yachts, heading up or down the eastern seaboard. The AIS receiver, was handy, but I want to be seen, because of the close proximity of the heavy traffic that I encounter.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, since you've not posted again, I assume you are still open to suggestions. My suggestion would be to build one out of a Raspberry Pi computer and a 13" video display, using NOAA ENC charts. The latter charts are the source of all the others. Canadian charts are also available. When you're done, you will run Open Plotter, Signal K and NMEA 0183 and 2000 for far less than a commercial unit. You can build it over the winter.

I used the following:

1. Raspberry Pi 4 computer.
2. Chicago Electronics high case, which allowed me to use
3. Copperhill Raspberry Pi hat with NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 connection.
4. Copperhill 32 GB microSDHC, with OpenCPN, Signal K, I2C Sensors, NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 pre-installed.
5. A 64 GB Samsung microSDHC on which I copied the master chip (above), for use during system development.
6. A 13" video display with HDMI input.
7. A 12 Vdc to 5 Vdc converter, 100 watts.
8. Various 2.5 mm machine screws for fastening the electronic boards,

Boris
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New old stock mdf’s come up for sale, I was helping a friend navigate the upgrade issues and found a cheap new in box c120.

I like the Lowrance mdf network, I have standard Horizon ais receive vhf to add to it. One advantage is the Lowrance autopilot is a good addition and works well. HDS live or Carbons just discontinued are the most flexible for radar overlay. Navionics platinum is what I use and has dock to dock autorouting for trip planning. Happy to FaceTime you if you end up considering Lowrance and walking you through the system.

Good luck!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat I have a c80 , or is it a 120? in the garage. I was going to use it on my back deck a few years ago and ended up with a new stand alone fish finder for the back deck. #200 will cover my cost and I will pass it on to you. Meet you half way for delivery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: