Yellowstone lake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunflower

City/Region: Maple Hill
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Yellowstone lake Reply with quote

Wanted to thank all the C-Brats at Yellowstone for all the help and knowledge for the newbie’s. What a great bunch of people hope to see you next year.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly was nice to meet you. Glad you had a good time.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a pleasure meeting & having many pleasant conversations with you two too.

There was the most C-Dory’s at Bridge Bay this year, (7) since 2008, when we had the official Gathering. Now only two of us left. We will pull out either Friday or the last day it’s open, Sunday Sept 12th.

Next year Alaska again & then maybe back to Yellowstone toward the end of the season.

Jay

clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who go to yellowstone lake every year, what are the reasons you go? I guess I'm asking, "What is it like?"

Is it scenery, wildlife, fishing? Do you anchor or stay at the marina?

Forgive my ignorance, just wondering if I should add this to my wish list.

Thanks,
Clay

Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clay, As one who spent a summer there for the first time, I'll use my wife's answer when I asked her what she thought of our summer there (and remember, this is the reply of someone who is accustomed to spending the summer in Southeast Alaska): She said it was "very pleasant." Yes, you can visit all of the sites that people come from all over the world to see (geysers, bison, elk, bears, wolves, canyons, and, of course, the lake itself), but we found that the best thing was the peace and quiet in the middle of a huge national park. We could just go out on the lake, drift, and enjoy the scenery. There's plenty of fish to catch if you wish. There's several nice hikes within walking distance. The marina staff goes out of their way to be helpful. And (for us) best of all, at 7,700 feet elevation, the weather is very comfortable in summer.

We spent most nights at the marina:

https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/adventure/water-adventures/dock-slip-rentals/

...but if you don't mind some unplanned time, you can call in and book backcountry sites (some with docks and toilets) for $3/person/night.

Let's see what Jay, Jody, Lew, and other "veterans" have to say, but that's my two cents. (In other words, "go for it.")

Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably too late to edit the last post, but here's some Yellowstone Lake photos:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Ravens-Roost&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

If the link doesn't work, search "Our Albums" for Ravens' Roost.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken O for the info and the link. It does look like a nice time.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents for a guy that has only spent a few weeks once on the Lake there. (Last summer). The scenery is spectacular. And as with many lakes, just being out on it is quite peaceful. The marina and neighbors are nice. However, I don't believe the marina had showers or a dedicated boaters restroom. It has nice docks with electricity and water. That being said, the park itself is crowded, just as most all the national parks are. We didn't do any fishing, but that's available. Would I go back? Maybe, if I had no where else to go. Did my wife and I enjoy our short time there? Yes. But we had not been on the lake before, so it was a new place to check out. I could see going back for a C-Brat gathering. But otherwise, I have many other places closer to me that offer spectacular scenery and great fishing. If we go back, I could see including Jackson Lake, as we did not spend any time there. We did take a day to drive to Jackson Hole. That being said, to each there own. I've got some favorite places here in the midwest, that others may or may not find as exciting to go back to more than once, yet I keep going and keep enjoying! BTW, we got there late in the season. After two days melting on Lake Powell in upper 90's low 100's, we decided to head up to Yellowstone. First day there was only in the upper 50's I believe, and upper 30's at night. The day before we left it snowed 2". And was down to 28 I believe. We did have a few days in the 70's with lows in the 50's I think. So it was somewhat of an extreme change with in a period of a few weeks. We live in the midwest, so we can handle the heat or cold. But going from one extreme to the next wasn't ideal. If the park wasn't so crowded, it would probably be fun to spend a little more time exploring more of the geological area. Colby
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought the HunkyDory back home from Yellowstone today, ending another summer at the Lake.

We’ve been visiting the Yellowstone Park almost yearly since 1972 with several full summers there, along with periods of weeks to months every year since 2003 on the CD22 & on canoe & rubber inflatable since the 80’s. Lots of exploring & peak climbing of the back country & the wilderness areas just south of the park by foot & horseback & all of the lakes shoreline by the different boat types with seeing all the backcountry lake campsites & spending nights at most of them.

Others have well covered the many good reasons for boating on Yellowstone Lake & what is available to see & do in the area. I will add, that directly from the boat docked at Bridge Bay Marina, over the years, I’ve seen Grizzly & black bear, moose, elk, mule deer, bison & many other varieties of wildlife & with very few exceptions the other boaters who spend parts or most of the summer there are friendly & helpful.

Colby is right in the difficulty in now touring the park by auto. Just a few buffalo along the road side can create a major traffic jam & many of the best geological parking sites are continuously jammed. The great years of low traffic on the roads & fantastic wildlife viewing for us peaked from the late 90’s to about 5 years ago. We now spend more time out on the lake & at & around the Marina. Fortunately in that area is still some of the best wildlife viewing. Also there are some great scenic drives by making loops in & out of the park & back to the Marina by different entrances. To avoid some of the traffific tie ups it’s best to leave early heading out of the park & return on the late side. During this summer, we managed to pass through all five of the park entrances & some several times.

With the increase in everything outdoors, accommodations at the park hotels & campgrounds can be difficult or costly to reserve making the Marina a great bargain. If staying for a month or the season, prices are half the daily rate & so far reservations not needed. Our 96 days there this year cost about $1450, which is a little over $15 per day & includes power.

Jay
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great visiting with all of you this summer at Yellowstone. This was our 11th year at Bridge Bay Marina. Nice to see so many C-Dory’s and new faces, a pleasure meeting all of you. I have a few photos, will get these posted to my album soon.

Jay, Jody, Bill - looking forward to following your Alaska adventure next summer. Safe Travels.

Kevin
Abramoluna1

City/Region: Cosenza
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2005
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next visit will be my very first time at the yellowlake Very Happy
I can't keep calm now. super excited.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: