The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Looking at a 25' C-dory: Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Looking at a 25' C-dory: Advice please Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm looking at a 2007 25 c-dory tomorrow with a 2007 Honda 135 with 1100 hours. It was surveyed last year, and I've looked over that report. Is there anything of note from that particular vintage that should I pay close attention to? I currently own a 22' 1982 C-dory, which is not much like a 25' 2007 c-dory other than that they are shaped the same!

Thanks,

Johnr
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally 2007 is a good vintage. Look for the usual core issues around all hatches and inspection ports in the cockpit. The steps on each side over the fuel fill access also will have some core issues. The front hatch should have been sealed with epoxy around the rim.

Check to be sure the water pump (water tank is aft in these, and water can get on the pump thru the aft port hatch in the cockpit.

If you are lucky it will have the fiberglass interior. If not then look around the L brackets which hold the wood interior to the fiberglass inner hull. You can get some water intrusion there. Also if there is a thru hull, be sure that area does not have significant moisture. There is a boat which apparently has moisture around the water pickup which is under the step inside the cabin.

There will be some water under the aft deck--unless the hatches are replaced they do leak. I put in double gaskets--they still leak a little.

The year 2007 model started in June 2006. Those after late Dec. 2006 had the fiberglass interior. Mine was started in late Dec, and finished in Jan 2007. It was one of the first boats with the fiberglass interior.

Check the engine for end play on the thrust bearing. Depending on how the boat has been cared for the 1100 hours on the engine may be significant. Also be sure that cooling passages are clear of corrosion. A friend bought a boat without sea trials. The first time he took it out, the engine overheated, and he had to replace the engine-$15,000!!!

Check the trailer--it should be rated for over 8,000 lbs. Some were with 6000 and 6500 # trailer--may be OK if just storing or short distances. If you are going to travel much then you want the larger trailer. Also tow vehicle is probably best as a 3/4 ton.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 07. Not much to worry about on C dory's other than the coring and the engine.

My cockpit hatch had a good amount of rotted wood and the little step was rotted too. Not a big deal. It can easily be pulled out and repaired. While pulling it out , it's also a good time to inspect the fuel tank which is directly below that big hatch.

Make sure your engine runs good under a load. Take her up to high rpms for 30 seconds to a minute. You don't want any hesitations or skips and excessive overheating. But you also don't want any skips at ANY rpm. So test the engine at idle, low rpms, mid rpms and redline.

Test the hot water heater, shore power , switch panel, and windlass.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
RThorn

City/Region: Olympia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: 25 Reply with quote

How did the viewing go?
johnr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 25 Reply with quote

RThorn wrote:
How did the viewing go?

Very good. I currently have a 22' 1982 C-dory. If you've never been in one that old, it's really nothing but a hull + top. There is no plumbing of any kind, no sink, no shore power, no gas tanks, no water tanks, no anchor locker, no self-bailing cockpit, no trim tabs, no power windshield washers, no stove, no fridge. You get the idea. So a 2007 25 foot c-dory will be quite a change for me.

That all being said, the 2007 C-dory is quite nice and well cared for with updated electronics (radar and GPS). Engine is maintained and runs strong. The 135 gets the boat up to speed (22 kts) quite easily. I didn't test it a WOT as I didn't know how the owner would feel about me doing that. The trailer is VERY nice. The only issue was that I found some salt water under the v-berth, probably coming from the anchor locker from what I've been able to deduce by reading previous posts here.

I'll likely buy it. The saddest part will be selling my old C-Dory. I really love that boat.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the brass bow/keel strip. With salt water under the berth, it’s possible that a screw or screws pierced the fiberglass. Known issue in the past.

I removed ours, plugged the screw holes with West Systems and installed a Keel-Guard adhesive one after another owner returned to their boat to find a few inches of water had entered via the brass strip.

multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: 25 with "elevated moisture levels" by intake thru- Reply with quote

I'm looking at Gator Patch Roll GP-336... it seems less obtrusive than the giant plastic keel guard product and it cures to fiberglass hardness supposedly.
Any source of water intrusion deserves attention... I've been chasing "increased moisture levels" like a phantom for the last few weeks on my new to be boat, the 25 in Pensacola. I'll post a more thorough story after I introduce myself and actually have the boat. We're supposed to close next week. I drove from Covington, LA to see it the Thursday before IDA hit... the next day, I'm boarding up my house... we lost power and after 4 days on the generator, decided to evacuate to await the return of electricity. I had to arrange for a surveyor and a deposit from Texas and thanks to this group for the wealth of very specific insight. I reached out to Bob Austin as he lives there and might have some local knowledge and as generous as he is with his time,helped to steady my nerves with emails and phone calls... Thanks so much Bob! I would have posted earlier, but we only just got internet back after over 3 weeks! (in our neighborhood that is, I was able to log on with family across town) so, I have received photos of the meter readings and videos of bone dry drill tests where there were pegged moisture readings... it has been on a vacuum bag almost constantly since the storm without pulling any moisture out. I'll post the pics after some of the dust settles. I am ecstatic about finding this boat (so far), and look forward to adventures afar and sharing the stories and support from this group.
Best]
Dale
multimediasmith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: 25 with "elevated moisture levels" by intake thru- Reply with quote

Plastic Keel Guard? - I'm looking at Gator Patch Roll GP-336... Is that what you used? it seems less obtrusive than the giant plastic keel guard product and it cures to fiberglass hardness supposedly.
Any source of water intrusion deserves attention... I've been chasing "increased moisture levels" like a phantom for the last few weeks on my new to be boat, the 25 in Pensacola. I'll post a more thorough story after I introduce myself and actually have the boat. We're supposed to close next week. I drove from Covington, LA to see it the Thursday before IDA hit... the next day, I'm boarding up my house... we lost power and after 4 days on the generator, decided to evacuate to await the return of electricity. I had to arrange for a surveyor and a deposit from Texas and thanks to this group for the wealth of very specific insight. I reached out to Bob Austin as he lives there and might have some local knowledge and as generous as he is with his time,helped to steady my nerves with emails and phone calls... Thanks so much Bob! I would have posted earlier, but we only just got internet back after over 3 weeks! (in our neighborhood that is, I was able to log on with family across town) so, I have received photos of the meter readings and videos of bone dry drill tests where there were pegged moisture readings... it has been on a vacuum bag almost constantly since the storm without pulling any moisture out. Everybody has done the tap test and agrees that it sounds solid to the trained ears... we're starting to question the meter or our own discernment. I'll post the pics after some of the dust settles. At the end of the day... I'm going to live with it and enjoy the time. I am ecstatic about finding this boat (so far), and look forward to adventures afar and sharing the stories and support from this group. This has been my first post.
Best
Dale
multimediasmith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: 25 with "elevated moisture levels" by intake thru- Reply with quote

Plastic Keel Guard? - I'm looking at Gator Patch Roll GP-336... Is that what you used? it seems less obtrusive than the giant plastic keel guard product and it cures to fiberglass hardness supposedly.
Any source of water intrusion deserves attention... I've been chasing "increased moisture levels" like a phantom for the last few weeks on my new to be boat, the 25 in Pensacola. I'll post a more thorough story after I introduce myself and actually have the boat. We're supposed to close next week. I drove from Covington, LA to see it the Thursday before IDA hit... the next day, I'm boarding up my house... we lost power and after 4 days on the generator, decided to evacuate to await the return of electricity. I had to arrange for a surveyor and a deposit from Texas and thanks to this group for the wealth of very specific insight. I reached out to Bob Austin as he lives there and might have some local knowledge and as generous as he is with his time,helped to steady my nerves with emails and phone calls... Thanks so much Bob! I would have posted earlier, but we only just got internet back after over 3 weeks! (in our neighborhood that is, I was able to log on with family across town) so, I have received photos of the meter readings and videos of bone dry drill tests where there were pegged moisture readings... it has been on a vacuum bag almost constantly since the storm without pulling any moisture out. Everybody has done the tap test and agrees that it sounds solid to the trained ears... we're starting to question the meter or our own discernment. I'll post the pics after some of the dust settles. At the end of the day... I'm going to live with it and enjoy the time. I am ecstatic about finding this boat (so far), and look forward to adventures afar and sharing the stories and support from this group. This has been my first post.
Best
Dale
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this: https://keelguard.com/product/keel-guard/
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been on your boat? Any loose edges?

Did you find that the table they have for length is accurate?

Thanks
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has stayed on. No lifting edges. I forget what size I ordered. Measure it and go from there. It can be cut down with a sharp razor knife. I went from just below the bow eye to where the smooth bow ends under the boat, just prior to the “keel”.
multimediasmith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: learning the system... Reply with quote

So sorry for the multiple iterations of my post last night... it was my first on this forum. I did an edit, but it turned it into separate posts... That won't be happening again... Doohhh!javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')

Anyway, spoke with the broker today and we're set for closing next week along with the previous owner's tutorial... he has graciously agreed to show me the systems he has configured and the general care and feeding of same.

When we were doing production work, my wife and I would say "don't pop the cork 'till the check clears", so I'm trying to contain my excitement until the deal is done and she's home safe.

My appreciation to this forum extends to the times researching and planning and finally actualizing the experience. Thanks to You all.

Looking forward to the next chapter...

Dale
multimediasmith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: learning the system... Reply with quote

So sorry for the multiple iterations of my post last night... it was my first on this forum. I did an edit, but it turned it into separate posts... That won't be happening again... Doohhh!

Anyway, spoke with the broker today and we're set for closing next week along with the previous owner's tutorial... he has graciously agreed to show me the systems he has configured and the general care and feeding of same.

When we were doing production work, my wife and I would say "don't pop the cork 'till the check clears", so I'm trying to contain my excitement until the deal is done and she's home safe.

My appreciation to this forum extends to the times researching and planning and finally actualizing the experience. Thanks to You all.

Looking forward to the next chapter...

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: