Battleborns and ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Battleborns and ? Reply with quote

I was looking to upgrade the house bank and really interested in a set of Battleborns, I have one starting battery and the old original charger. I figure a great time to upgrade to a new Victron IP22 which has three outputs. I don't see getting a built in inverter as I use a plug in small wattage for the laptop or what not. Now I am gathering to round off the system I'll need a DC to DC charger too? Maybe someone has a diagram I can follow. More than likely I'd find a shop that has experience installing. Smile
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: The best site for info - buy Will's book! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU86EJXcTMM
Bob Jarrard
PS: Battle Born are great batteries, local in Reno, but $$$$$$ Follow Will's vids, her knows his stuff. My suggestion is solar panels, good charge/controller, SOK battery (I like the 200 amp at $1000), a Honda 2000i or 2200i, shore power, all to the charge controller. Have fun Feel free to call. Also, watch out, LIFO batts need to be freeze protection. See ya. Bob
714 68602728
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running 2 Battleborn 100 amp batteries, for the Inverter, and freezer/refrigerator bank. This unit chargers off a Victron Multiplus 2000 (PSW Inverter) 80 (amp charger) 50% boost. Charge off the 150 Honda OB (44 amps) Sterling 12/12 30 amp charger. I have a 300 amp on the output of the LiFePO4 battery, with a 500 amp switch. The cables from the inverter charger to the batteries is about 3' long and 2/00 gauge. Monitor Victron 702 (would use 712 now)

I also have a land vehicle set. up, all built around a battery box, and there I am using a single Relion 100 amp hour battery the Victron Orion 30 amp charger. Here I only have a 40 amp breaker, with a 200 amp on and off switch. I also use a 10 amp Taiwan battery charger with LiFePO4 profile (it also shows the voltage, & output amps. Chinese monitor, same function as Victron (costs 1/3 as much).

The reason for LiFePO4 battery is: lots of power for light weight. You are gong to keep the boat 10 years... You have to keep the Li battery isolated from the engine start battery with one of the 12 volt battery to battery chargers.

There needs to be a fuse on the input and output of the battery to battery charger. You need to run adequate wire gauge to the house battery. There also needs to be a fuse near the battery for input and output. The output fuse sized to match any biggest load (40 amps?). The input at what is max of your battery charger.

The Victron IP22 is a great 3 bank charger, but I don't believe that you can have a different battery type on each leg. (??)

What outboard and alternator output do you have on the 25?

You could. get the Victron Orion at 30 amps, or the Sterling at 30 amps and limit the input current. The size of wire depends on where you put the charger. I have the Sterling right next to the engine start battery, and then #8 wire (pos and Neg) up to the Li battery which is under the port side V Berth. To know what size wire--we need to know where the Li battery and where the charger is going..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Prowse does have great knowledge, and his videos are certainly informative and valuable. However, I've found his reviews don't take into account critical factors when it comes to battery manufacturers. QC and customer support. He concentrates mostly on the tech.

He's typically looking at a single example at a given point in time, so QC can't be adequately evaluated. At least two of the manufacturers he has highly recommended have had repeated problem reports and questionable customer support - SOK and BigBattery. If that's a gamble you wish to take, have at it - but I'm willing to pay significantly more for the proven track record of Battleborn and Lifeblue.

Speaking of which, while I've nothing bad to say about Battleborn - I like Lifeblue quite a bit better. They have way more options in size/capacity, and the integrated BMS with Bluetooth is totally adequate for many installations eliminating the need for an external battery monitor/shunt. They also have low temperature versions which on a boat, might be welcome depending on where and when you cruise.

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
...while I've nothing bad to say about Battleborn - I like Lifeblue quite a bit better. ...
I've never heard of Lifeblue until your post. This, from their website, sounds really intriguing. I wonder how they do this?

"Our battery can be charged directly from ANY PV solar controller, ANY inverter/charger and with properly sized wiring, ANY alternator can be used without the need for a special regulator or DC-DC converter. You do not need a special "Lithium" capable charger. Some multi-stage converters will not work but any standard CV converter that can output 13.8 Volts or higher will work."

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: You are right about Will - in part Reply with quote

I agree that any single channel can only cover so much sample size but Will is quick to notice when products do not live up to the reviews and use of a larger sample size. First or premiering reviewers of all products have this issue. Battle Born would be my first choice if money was no object, just like many favor Victron, Balmar, first line solar panel makers, Cummins, YamHonTohSuz's but some have a cash issue. I use Walmart batteries at times but for my Tundra have found that the hard to find oversized Bosch batteries really last here in the heat of Nevada. Though now on sale, the Battle Born 200A 12V is right at $2000 and the SOK is a $1029. 100% of savings would buy two batteries from SOK which are fully rebuildable and temp protected. By the way, Jono of the former Journey's with Jono narrowboat site now works for Victron. His posts on boat use of LiPo batteries and all the attendant gear is top notch. Will is best for How To info. As always, I should send my posts to Dr. Bob for edit but this is a forum and for me, not a court of law so I hold myself to a lower standard, right around gopher to groundhog level if you know what I mean. Happy Boating.
Bob Jarrard
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
Da Nag wrote:
...while I've nothing bad to say about Battleborn - I like Lifeblue quite a bit better. ...
I've never heard of Lifeblue until your post. This, from their website, sounds really intriguing. I wonder how they do this?

"Our battery can be charged directly from ANY PV solar controller, ANY inverter/charger and with properly sized wiring, ANY alternator can be used without the need for a special regulator or DC-DC converter. You do not need a special "Lithium" capable charger. Some multi-stage converters will not work but any standard CV converter that can output 13.8 Volts or higher will work."

Where did you see this on the site? My interpretation of what I saw/heard in the video was that they can be charged with any source....but best with specific profile of LiFePO4 charger. What this means to me--and based on my use of the Li battery technology for 3 years and following the technology for 15 or so years, is that you can charge any Li battery with XX charging device. (It is being done regularly with RV's off the alternator) However you will not get peak performance. That may not matter to many that the battery only charges to 85% +/- (which most Li batteries will do). There are some who say it is most efficient to run between 85 and 10%--and you are basically only loosing15% of the capacity. The internal battery management system will shut down the charge if over XX and if under XX. So the BMS limits the battery function and charge,

I am always suspicious when anyone says that you can use 100% of the battery capacity. The catch here is that the BMS will cut off the battery when it is at a specific voltage--which is usually about 10% shy of discharging to 100% (or a voltage of zero)
(In reality 10 volts). Yes, you can discharge a Li battery single cell to voltage of 2.5 volts( -fully charged voltage is 3.65 volts). If you do multiple discharges to max level, you will shorten the life span of that battery vs if only only discharged to 12 volts. The LiFePO4 battery only has 4 cells to make up to "12 volts"

Looking at the below table illustrates some of these principles.
'
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
pcg wrote:
Da Nag wrote:

Where did you see this on the site?

https://www.lifebluebattery.com/rv-boat-lithium-ion-batteries/200ah-lithium-battery.html

thataway wrote:
...My interpretation of what I saw/heard in the video was that they can be charged with any source....but best with specific profile of LiFePO4 charger....

I agree. What they say is not exactly a deceptive statement, but it's certainly misleading.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. I had the wrong "LiFePO4 site: "LITHIUM BLUE LiFePO4". The one you linked to I suspect probably has a DC to DC charger board inside the case. Certainly not that hard to do if you have fixed perimeters. They even talk about using RV converters (This is different than a battery charger, where they deliver a constant high current at 13.6 to 13.8 Volts, ability to run an RV from Mains Power.)

The biggest user is the solar off the grid. home using Li batteries. Another "big user" is the use in trolling motors in fishing boats. Often a 50 amp bank at 36 volts will power a trolling motor for an entire day.

I am using the Renogy 100 amp hour (Lowes for $719). Although it has a plug in monitor, I used a $42 AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A . This is a "portable power pack"-we used it on a month long trip where we charged the battery from the alternator ( Victron Orian DC to DC charger) to keep our Websco "Black Forrest" ($200+ freezer) in the SUV. The Renogy battery has a setting to put it to "sleep" which keeps the self discharge at a very low rate.

The market has so many more li batteries now than 3 years ago. Many RVs are coming with a factory option of Li batteries. I believe a few. boats are also offering this too.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered two Battleborns heated batteries since I do boat in sub-freezing temps. After speaking with Battleborn I can put the Victron IP22 on the same profile as an AGM and use a firefly for start capacity. Use the Firefly for start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: