The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New owner in Alaska - couple of questions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfisher

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: New owner in Alaska - couple of questions please Reply with quote

Hello- First posting here. I bought a 22 cruiser in Seattle and brought it back home to Kenai earlier this year.
I have twin 2005 Honda bf40’s and am looking for recommendations on good mechanics for these. My main launch will be Homer if the shop there is good that would be awesome.
I also was in Homer yesterday and loved seeing all the C-Dories in the harbor 🤩. Can anyone tell me where to get those deck covers that look like they snap on and protect the aft deck, I really hope to get one before the snow flies 🥶
Love to get to know any owners in the area, I can use all the tips and advice you want to hand out
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dfisher, Welcome to C-BRATS and everything C-Dory-ish. Congrats on your new to you C-Dory. The cover you are looking for is called a "Mooring Cover" and though I can't help you with where, I can help with what to call it so the fabric shop will know what you are looking for. (Here is an example)

I believe most are custom made. If it was me, I would ask for it to cover all the way to the aft Splash-well boarder. You will probably hear from some of the Alaska guys as to where up there to go for fabrication.

Best in your search, I'm sure you will get the answer you are looking for.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

This one is a storage cover.

Dfisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome and the correct terminology. Hopefully someone up here may have some more info
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I have called these "Cockpit slant back covers". But mooring cover works as well.

King Canvas in Seattle has made a number of these, as well as the camper canvas which makes a "room" out of the area under the Bimini top. Here is the C Dory link--they show mostly Camper Backs, but should have the pattern for the slant back

Do you have an awning rail at the aft top edge of the roof? This can be either an aluminum or plastic extrusion, into which a bolt rope slides. The extrusion is better at keeping water out than snaps. It is best to have the slant back as tight as possible. The snaps to hold the cover down along the sides are the common snap. If you have a Bimini top, then the awning rail should be there in place. On our current boat, we have the narrow piece with the bolt rope (actually a plastic piece) which stays in place and then the Bimini or the slant back attach to this piece with a zipper. (The zipper also makes it much easier if you wish to enter the cabin. You unsnap the snaps on the cabin side, pull the zipper back about 1/3 of the width of the cabin back, and then unsnap about half of the side snaps near the gunnel.

We take ours slant back at least once a year, clean it well (either scrub down or put into the washing machine). Then we saturate it with 303 Fabric protector, which helps to preserve the Sunbrella fabric as well as keep it waterproof.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JonO

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Tremolo
Photos: JonO
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: King Canvas Reply with quote

I am in the same situation but different location. When I contacted King Canvas about doing a mooring cover and camper back/Bimini they told me they wouldn't ship it for installation by me or anyone else. They said the boat needed to be there for them to do the work. Given that I am 2,000 miles away, that's not happening.

I'm going to use a local canvas company that's done some other C-Dory work. Related comment: I've heard about supply issues on some stainless fittings, so those costs are going up. Hopefully you can find a similar local source where you are and get it done before the snow flies.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JanO thanks for the update on King.

There is an alternative, which anyone can make, and requires no sewing. I made the side wall (clear and opaque) for our camper back using items easily purchased at Sailrite.

Shelterite fabric @ 19.99 per running yard, 61" wide..
HH66 vinyl glue for the seams
Dot Snap Fastener. At the bottom of the page is the $30 set and $8 hole punch for fabric.

bolt rope (should glue this bolt rope,,maybe a few stitches. Snaps on each end.

This is plastic, but also aluminum rails are available. The aluminum is a little stronger, and if I were leaving it on most of the time, I would go with the aluminum extrusion.

9 yards of the material would be plenty--probably enough to make a foredeck shade/rain fly also. Measure out how much needed to begin with--use butcher paper or similar heavy paper to make a templet. Two evenings should be enough to make the cover, Now you have the skills to make more covers...
Dfisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
All good information
DSigmond

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a little careful with the Sailrite company.

I wound up with their walking-foot sewing machine that would penetrate and sew 1/4 inch leather. I then used their kit to make a sail for an MC Scow, backpacks, gear bags, some upholstry. And that was 20 years ago. I still enjoy their Hoosier friendly staff, and unique selection of good stuff you'll find you really need.

Just be careful.
Andesite

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Ski-Dory
Photos: Ski-Dory
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dfisher,

I'm sure you've already tracked down a mechanic, but I've had good luck with All Seasons Honda. I bought a 22' in Homer last march, and they did a pre-buy inspection and printed out all the stats for me. I also bought a kicker from them last fall; an employee met me on a Sunday to open the shop so I could buy it. Very friendly dudes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: