View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieRock

City/Region: Celebration
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Charlie Rock
Photos: Charlie Rock
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: V700 Windlass Maintenance Reply with quote

How often are you doing Windlass maintenance?(and some recommended spare parts).

I was struggling with my Windlass recently while anchoring at some spoil islands near the Barge Canal on the Florida ICW, near Cocoa. Boat in place, walk forward to use the wired remote thru the v-berth hatch, and just a load squeal followed be the thud of a breaker popping. Some WD40 and elbow grease solved that moment, but clearly something was up.

A little research says some general maintenance is a good idea. Found this great little video. Slightly different model, but the steps and tools are generally the same.

[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYo31dDaSXc [/url]

You need a windlass wrench (which is great to secure with a float!). You also need a 5mm Allen, and 2.5mm for the control arm and the fall safe lock. Some Lewmar grease or just Heavy white marine grease, and some loctite Blue.

Greasing is an easy task. Heavy grease on the cones, i also greased the lip where the chain and rode run into the anchor locker (with 60 of chain, my rode rarely sees the light of day on the ICW). Remove and clean, then grease the control arm, fall safe lock and associated springs.

What was interesting, was the clearly bent bolts for the Fall Safe and Control Arm (careful removing these to not lose the bolts or springs overboard). A new couple of items for the spares kit. Both can be found on West Marine, although the Control Arm kit is on backorder. I will include a pic of the parts below.

[Img] http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Charlie-Rock&id=Screen_Shot_2021_08_18_at_11_29_45_AM&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php [/Img]

Charlie Rock (former Noro Lim/Journey) 2006 CC23
Charlie Rock 2017 Ranger Tug R23 2017-2020
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: