The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing speed (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessert Dory, Thanks for the numbers. How are you measuring the coolant and Transmission temps?

I just completed a 1800 mile trip on I-90 and WOW, I don't drive my car as fast as many of those PU/Trailer combos travel. 65-70 is my usual, and I have been passed by 3/4 and 1 tons, pulling every size of travel trailer, boats and 5th wheels. Some in the (I'm guessing here) somewhere over the 80mph range.

I saw one that had passed me a few hours earlier, scattered in pieces on its side in the median in ND. Whoops!!!! Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 60-62 MPH, because the rig overall (truck plus trailer plus boat) seems to like that speed best as the max. ST trailer tires are rated for no more than 65 MPH (with few exceptions including Goodyear Endurance), and the federal testing standard only requires that they manage that for a grand total of 30 minutes without exploding or overheating. The ‘feel’ through the wheel is less ‘jerky’ or nervous. The stopping distance is significantly less. 60 MPH gives me much more reaction time. The last two reasons are 95% of why I tow at 60 MPH. We’re retired, so it’s easier, but we’ve been towing 11,000 lb boat loads since 2004 this way.

I agree that in some rare areas (parts of I-75 for example) safety requires going at least 65. However, I’m always able always able to find a semi driver who is paying for his own diesel fuel that is going at least as slow as me, and I just follow him at a gap that makes it ABSOLUTELY clear to all surrounding traffic that there is NO advantage to them to cutting me off. If loaded, he’ll go slower than me up hills, but faster than me down hills, and it’ll average 60 MPH overall.

Adaptive cruise control is not available and not desirable on HD250 tow trucks. I don’t use CC on Ohio hills because it will maintain the selected speed within 5 MPH even if that requires way too much turbo boost uphill and way too much severe engine braking downhill. It’s got to decrease MPG.

This worked very well on our just completed 2,700 mile towing adventure to upstate New York and back.

Hope this is helpful.

As always, your mileage may vary!

Cheers!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey asked how folks measured various temperatures: Most truck will have this information (and a lot more) on their OBD ports.

On the Ford diesel we have 2 Bank's gauges, which I feel are the best for diesel trucks. I have about a dozen items reading out, include boost, Exhaust gas temp, transmission and coolant temps, instant mpg, etc.

For gassers I use Scan G gauges. Another feature of the OBD reader is that you can read codes if they come up, and clear them if it is nothing important...If it is important, then you can shut down before damage is done...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . and we tow with a 2010 5.7L Tundra rated to tow 10k lbs."

Specifically I was curious about Desert Dory since he is running the same tow rig I am. I have a a Scan Gauge II, and run it full time but I have not figured out how to get the Tranny temp out of it.

And Yes, Bob, I am a believer in the Banks systems. Have driven with them many times.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When going on a long haul, I like to travel a bit over 70 mph. Concerned about the ability of my previous tires to handle the speed, I bought some
“Type M” tires rated for 81 mph. So far/so good

https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/greenball/tow-master-str
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I have a a Scan Gauge II, and run it full time but I have not figured out how to get the Tranny temp out of it.

Harvey

It has to be programmed for your particular vehicle. Trans temps will show as TFT. I use one on the F250.

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN, where's the commons sense around here. Simple math tells you that the more time you spend on the road, the greater the odds are of being in an accident, this is especially true in wintry, icy conditions. Using my finely honed critical thinking skills, it's a no brainier to deduct that by keeping that skinny pedal mashed to the floor you'll be on the road for a shorter period of time and lessen your odds of accidents. On steep uphills where your speed is likely to drop below 90mph you can fire up the outboard and mash the control to full speed ahead and get a little added propeller boost.

I like running about 65 but will speed up if needed and try to go with the flow

localboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
On steep uphills where your speed is likely to drop below 90mph you can fire up the outboard and mash the control to full speed ahead and get a little added propeller boost.

I thought the turbo did that... Laughing
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used cruise control about one time when towing. I entered a corner going downhill at the set speed. Corner was not a constant radius and right where it got slightly sharper the cruise control punched the accelerator. Thanks but no thanks Mr. Cruise Control. I've got this. It does require me to stay awake.

I do like my vehicle's "sport mode" when towing. It lowers the down shift points and raises the up shift rpms. Works great when towing and keeps the engine from lugging and tranny from hunting as much.

Speed depends on conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruise control towing & boat auto pilot, love em both. Don’t use towing vehicle cruise control in places where slick or throttle control varying is best, but in 80,000 plus miles of towing the CD22, the cruise control has been on most of the time & has never caused a white knuckle situation, where as plenty other driving variances sure did & most of them in the Seattle area high traffic areas.

I usually tow at 60 to 70 & don’t hesitate to do 80 or so for quick passing, also would hold a steady 80 if good reason for it, where that was the speed limit. My trailer tires are rated for 80 some mph & have air pressure & heat monitors on all tires, plus a one ton duelly doing the towing. Up to a point bigger is better with the towing vehicle. Kinda like preferring a oversized anchor. One makes for relaxed driving the other sound sleeping.

Jay

localboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I only use CC when appropriate, like on long stretches of interstate with open road. I don't use it in tight or windy roads etc nor in traffic, like one has in the Puget Sound region.

But from say Cle Elum or Ellensburg to Spokane...with miles and hours of nothing but desert and wheat/corn...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Highlander and the 22, I kept it at 60mph or less. With the F150, prior with the 22, and now with the 25, 65mph is my top speed. I tow approximately 10,000 miles a year. Could the truck go faster. Sure. But the boat trailer and truck combination handles good at 65 or less. And of course that's depending upon the road. Mountain driving, I'll run 50-65 uphill, depending upon what the Ford can handle, and downhill I'll find the gear and speed that allows me to stay mostly off the brakes. (Worked in my semi driving days as well, a long time ago.) Or the speed limit if lower. Wink I'll stop at least every two hours if not sooner, and walk around checking the tires, hubs and tiedowns. Along with the pickup's tires as well. The other advantage I've found with the speed, is that the driving is much more relaxed, than running with the rat race. Oh, and cruise control is on unless I need more specific control of my speed...Colby
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
The other advantage I've found with the speed, is that the driving is much more relaxed, than running with the rat race. ...Colby

Exactly! We are typically towing from/to a vacation - so why bring the commute mindset?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California has a 55 mph speed limit for towing trailers. That said, everyone goes faster. I got a speeding ticket for towing when I was passing a semi going downhill. When I asked the cop what the Highway Patrol allowed, since it obviously wasn't 55, he said under 70. So in Calif I drive right around 65, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
Haven't got a towing ticket since. Also I've got used to driving at that speed and it serves me well in other states.

And, BTW, we need to stop every couple of hours or so, but I've never checked the trailer. Obviously, no problems. Since I got rid of those Chinese trailer tyres.

Boris
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the other hiways in California, but I-5 was nothing but washboard. Yes, the 55, for towing kept most of those rigs in the right lane. I drive like an old Montana rancher Confused I like lots of acreage around me, so I find a spot between to well spaced big rigs, slide in and stay there. Generally we are going 60-65 and I'm good with that. Don't much get over 65. I do stop about every 2 hours +/- to check on "things". In the car I rarely stop in less that 5-6 hours, but with a trailer it is better to be sure.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: