The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Santa Cruz, CA C-Dorys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SantaCruzin

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz, CA C-Dorys? Reply with quote

Hey there forum!

I'll save the lengthy backstory, but the short version is that after a host of different boats (West Wight Potter, Supra Sunsport, Proline 201WA, Sea Ray 180, etc.) I'm honing in on getting a little "pocket cruiser"-type boat for my family and I. My wife, 3 year old daughter, 1 year old son, and I love being on the water and driving 2+ hours to the CA Delta or (rapidly disappearing) lakes is losing it's appeal.

My father, who wants to go in on a boat, is really pushing us towards getting another boat capable of going out in the Monterey Bay...which we live 5 minutes from.

I came across the C-Dory by chance and we're really falling in love with the idea of a little cruiser. We were walking at the harbor for my dad's birthday over the weekend and saw at least 4 C-Dory's in slips in the Santa Cruz harbor.

I know it's a big ask, but if any of you happen to be on here would you allow us to check out your boat? We don't need to go out, just get a sense of the boat in general since I've yet to see one in person. We will gladly bring your beverage or snack of choice in return! Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SantaCruzin, Welcome, and good luck in your search. Funny thing but when I looked at you username, I was expecting to see North Pole AK for the home base.

Leave a note on the boats. That might get a quicker response. Hard to say. There are more C-Dorys out there than ore on this site, but you may find someone here willing to show you their boat too.

All the best in you pursuit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the C brat map. Zoom all of the way in on Santa Cruz. There are a number of 22's (both cruiser and angler) on this map. You can then go to the profile of each member and send them an e-mail or Private message. The owners may not be all that active on the site. If you wanted to drive down to Big Sur (I believe the Northern part) there is a C Dory25, which is fully tricked out there.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SantaCruzin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both very much! I've shot some PM's over to the people I found on the map.

Unfortunately I can't get to the boats to leave a note. Our harbor has locked gates at the top of each dock...annoying but necessary given some of the "residents" of our town.
SantaCruzin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a C-Dory forum, but I thought I'd just close the loop here. We ended up finding a "budget" cruiser for the time being. Underpowered Volvo aside, it has a lot of the same features we loved about the C-Dory...and it was $7,500... We came across a 1982 Bayliner Explorer 2070 which is, seemingly, a bit of a time capsule.

We still view this as a stepping stone to the eventual C-Dory ownership but it will help us really understand what features we need or not.[/img]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bayliner explorers were a very interesting boat--and one of the few smaller Bayliner hulls that were mainly semi displacement speed. If you want to leave it in the water be very careful with the outdrive.

There was a class of wooden boats by Chris Craft and Owens which had a good layout--separate head, small galley, dinette, plus the V Berth. Way back I owned an Owen's Sea Skiff with a a V 8 chevy block and a circular 50 gallon gas tank right behind it...Which made me very careful with fuel! For its day (1962) it was a lot of boat. Back then they were only about $5,000 new. $10,000 would get you a 29 foot Columbia Sail boat pretty well outfitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: