The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker speed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave a non running engine in the water put it in gear so the propeller doesn't turn, the amount of drag induced by a spinning propeller is massive compared to one locked in any position. May help keep the speed down if trolling with one twin motor idling, but for getting home it's just drag. We're in the barn for the winter so I can't check, but the Honda propeller will free wheel one way or the other depending on which gear it's in. I forget if it needs to be in forward or reverse to stop it from freewheeling underway and causing lots of darg.

It appears (so far) that a single 40 won't plane a 22 Cruiser, anyone got data on a single 50? (Assuming twin engines with one out of the water.) If the boat is limited to displacement speeds with a 40, 50, or 9.9 (or even eight) the "twin engine redundancy advantage" is moot, a 9.9 will get home just as fast.

We're on a 16 Cruiser with no auxillary engine (like the single engine airplanes I used to fly) so my interest is academic -- at present. Twins look yachty, but a single 90 ought to do the job.

Short of running of gas for the main engine, has anyone had to run the auxillary engine to get home?

-- Chuck
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Chuck, the TyBoo22 had to go several miles to Friday Harbor on the Honda 8 when the big feller lost the water pump impeller. There must have been some tidal current in our favor, because it was pushing us at 5.5 to 6 knots (not mph) at about 3/4 throttle. I left the main in the water and used it as a rudder to steer. Just set the kicker straight ahead, didn't use a tie rod, and sat at the helm. Works great as long as there's no wind or side current. If there was a quick turn or a boat wake to deal with, I just stepped out back and grabbed the tiller handle for a second.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: