The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard Vented covers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Outboard Vented covers Reply with quote

Has anyone used an outboard vented cover while running their boat? Since I do a lot of fishing on mine, I think this would be great for keep the fish mess off the cowling.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't all outboard covers vented? How else does the engine get air for combustion?

My Honda BF90 cover has vents at the top rear. Doubles as a handle for removing the cover.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am betting that AKFisher is asking about covers that go over the cowling. I wish I had known about them years ago. Might have saved me a few $$ in paint service. My covers were getting to look like they had measles, or the pox -- paint pitting and looking bad. (My bad, I didn't know I should have been waxing them when I did the boat.) So, I learned a $100 lesson. When I had to have some paint and body work done on my truck I asked the shop owner if He would just spray them the same color as the truck. Yup, he would. He did some masking and they came out nice. Now, I want to add covers so I don't need to do that again in another 10 years.

So, Yes, I'm wondering about running with covers on as well. How to, since I am cruising, do I take them off to run and them put them on when not? Do you have to take them off and and wash down the cowl, let it dry and them put them back on?

I now know the spotting and pitting come from the sun being magnified onto the paint surface by the water droplets that sit there as it dries.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I have used canvas/Sunbrella covers on several of my outboards. They did not have any opening for the air intake--thus cannot be left in place while running.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I saw a boat with a Suzuki 150 outboard motor that had a soft leather looking or vinyl vented cover. The cover had reinforced sewn openings with a netting material covering all areas of the vented cowling. It was white and looked professionally made. My concern would be that scratches or blemishes would develop over time on the cowling with the accumulation of dried salt or dirt getting under the cover.

I have not been able to find on-line a Outboard Motor Vented Cover as nice as the one I saw and so I think this cover was custom made. Nice looking though.

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some covers, (Yamaha) but don't remember if they were ventied or not. It would seem they woiuld need to be if used when running. I agree, if they are left on all the time there would be wear patterns from teh cover Crying or Very sad so maybe it is 6 of one and half dozen of the other : wear from the cover or from not being covered.

Not sure if we are addressing what the OP was actually looking for here, but I'm still curious about some sore of flexible, fabric/textile/vinyl cover to prevent sun damage vs just a cover for storage.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there are some tight fitting outboard cowl covers, the majority are fairly loose, and no damage to the paint on the cowling.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Although there are some tight fitting outboard cowl covers, the majority are fairly loose, and no damage to the paint on the cowling.

If you leave them on when running, then loose covers can damage the paint underneath by flapping against it.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:

If you leave them on when running, then loose covers can damage the paint underneath by flapping against it.

The covers are NEVER left on when running....at least the ones I have used.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white vinyl like cowling cover I saw on a boat just weeks ago was in my opinion a boat that had traveled on the water in the San Juans for a set period of time. The cover had cut-outs for the areas on the motor which required venting. This cover appeared to be securely attached to the cowling and I would not be surprised if the owner kept the cover on the cowling full time while he was traveling on the water. The cover looked nicely constructed in white material. My outboard cowling (without a cover) is black and looks very 'dirty' when I have been in salt water for long periods of time. The looks of the boat with the white cowling cover when compared to my cowling without a cover was night and day. His motor had the appearance of being clean and fresh while mine looked terrible with heavy dried salt accumulation. I still wonder if dried salt (or dirt and dust) under his cover being used in saltwater along with motor vibration and boat pounding and movement would eventually make scratches in the plastic/paint surface over time.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that "down south" of the other border, they use old tee shirts for OB covers. For what, why and do they do any good?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I bought to keep the sun and tree sap off my Yamaha 50. No openings for air intake, so can't be used while running. Although . . . judicious use of a soldering gun would modify it for air intake. Not pretty, but it isn't very pretty to begin with.

https://www.amazon.in/Wake-WM1-50B-Trailerable-Outboard-Motor/dp/B007TKI23G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I looked at that website. CRAZY, must have a problem with decimals or pricing. NO price on the OB cover but . . . . VVVVV

attwood Attwood Boat Seat Swivel, black, 6-1/4"
4.6 out of 5 stars 3,351
₹2,731.00
Only 1 left in stock.

Or maybe the website ended in Dot CHINA instead of .com Laughing

And they are not available now. Evil or Very Mad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

I've been getting a lot of sites that now provide prices in Indian currency. I don't even know what their currency is called. I must have done something wrong in a prior life.

Anyway, I paid about $25 for a cheap cover that works fine and stays on when trailered. The most difficult part about the cheap covers is deciding what size is needed. You have to read all the unsatified reviews from people who bought the wrong size to figure out the necessary size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Harvey,

I've been getting a lot of sites that now provide prices in Indian currency. I don't even know what their currency is called. I must have done something wrong in a prior life.

Anyway, I paid about $25 for a cheap cover that works fine and stays on when trailered. The most difficult part about the cheap covers is deciding what size is needed. You have to read all the unsatified reviews from people who bought the wrong size to figure out the necessary size.

Well, for sure I know it is way more in US$ than I was going to look at, then later noticed the weird mark wasn't a Dollar sign. Sure glad you didn't get skunked on that one.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: