The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-dory 25 or 26 tow weight question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: C-dory 25 or 26 tow weight question. Reply with quote

First off I want to say even though I don’t own a C-dory the C-brats site is my favorite boating website. Thanks to all that make it possible!

I’m at a boating cross roads, see my other post concerning boat repowering for more information on that if interested…
Anyway, I have a question concerning the towing weight of a C-dory 25 or 26 C-dory (I know the 26 is slightly heavier). Now I have used the search function, and I know this subject has been discussed many times before. With that said I want to beat a dead horse a little more if you all don’t mind lol. I have reviewed the towing information in my trucks owners manual, and put my truck on a truck scale full of fuel and people. Long story short I can tow 8500 pounds and be within all GM’s specifications for my truck. I’ve been looking on C-Dory’s new brochure and they are saying an average towing weight of about 6400 pounds. I know from reading this forum that these numbers are not all that accurate. However do you all think that a moderately loaded 25 or 26 would have a tow weight that would be at or under 8500 pounds? We are still working age with kids, so I don’t see us loading the boat heavily for long cruises, we would mainly just do weekend and day
adventures. What do you all think, is the 8500 pound tow weight realistic? Thanks
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the search. When we bought our 25, the weight on the trailer was listed as 6,500 pounds. I had a one-ton Dodge campervan with an 8,400 pound towing capacity, so I thought we were good. Another 25 owner reached out and said the factory numbers weren't realistic, and to expect the weight to be closer to 8,500 pounds. Yes, one ton off.

We bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup, and glad we did. Our 25 on the trailer, with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, full water, empty black tank, loaded for two people, was 8,700 pounds on the trailer. That was with much of our cruising gear in the bed of the truck. You may often hear people say, "Didn't even know it was back there..." We always knew the boat was back there, even though it was well below the rated capacity of the truck. Adding electric over hydraulic (instead of the surge brakes the trailer came with) brakes made a real difference, as well.

If you are loaded light, you will likely be close to your max. I can't make a recommendation, just providing real world info. We towed coast to coast, and having enough truck to do the job kept things from being nail-biting while on trips. Yeah, but we always knew it was back there.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Cap knows!!!! Reply with quote

Yup, Jim has the math down. Check out his blog and see a motor home towing a small sedan towing a cargo trailer that has two gas scooters, two electric bikes, an electric scooter, and some serious "cat stuff" in the payload. His Big Red was a very nice truck. If I bought a C-25, I would pop for a one ton, you are supposed to add the Pax weights, all the personal stuff, all the fuel, and even the Kleenex. A quarter tank of fuel? Not if there is an ethanol free pump with good prices on the way to the water. All my friends who tow horses have one tons, most 4x4's, and they just put sand bags in the back when not loaded. With a boat on trailer, you could have a fancy split cross bed dual fuel and tool box - now that is styling! Just enjoying spending other folks money.
Bob Jarrard
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_b,
I you have the Duramax 6.6 diesel then you may be fine. We have a 2010 F-150 with the 5.4 gas engine and the truck is rated to tow 9,500 lbs. We tow a C-Dory 23 Venture and I can't imagine towing a 25 Cruiser or 26 Venture with it. IMO the gas engines lack pulling power which is especially noticeable on hills.

Mike_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Good luck with the search. When we bought our 25, the weight on the trailer was listed as 6,500 pounds. I had a one-ton Dodge campervan with an 8,400 pound towing capacity, so I thought we were good. Another 25 owner reached out and said the factory numbers weren't realistic, and to expect the weight to be closer to 8,500 pounds. Yes, one ton off.

We bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup, and glad we did. Our 25 on the trailer, with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, full water, empty black tank, loaded for two people, was 8,700 pounds on the trailer. That was with much of our cruising gear in the bed of the truck. You may often hear people say, "Didn't even know it was back there..." We always knew the boat was back there, even though it was well below the rated capacity of the truck. Adding electric over hydraulic (instead of the surge brakes the trailer came with) brakes made a real difference, as well.

If you are loaded light, you will likely be close to your max. I can't make a recommendation, just providing real world info. We towed coast to coast, and having enough truck to do the job kept things from being nail-biting while on trips. Yeah, but we always knew it was back there.

Thanks! That’s the type of information I’m looking for! It validated what I have read before on this subject.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Mike_b,
I you have the Duramax 6.6 diesel then you may be fine. We have a 2010 F-150 with the 5.4 gas engine and the truck is rated to tow 9,500 lbs. We tow a C-Dory 23 Venture and I can't imagine towing a 25 Cruiser or 26 Venture with it. IMO the gas engines lack pulling power which is especially noticeable on hills.

Thanks
Were roughly in the same situation. I have a truck that has a stated 9200 pound trailering capacity. However when I put it on a scale full of fuel, gear and the family it brings the trailering capabilities down to 8500. As I've researched this I've learned manufacture's stated tow ratings are misleading, there's many variables to consider. I'm beginning to make peace with the fact that I need a bigger truck if I want a bigger boat.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8500lb towing capacity is ok for a 25 Cruiser, but I would double-check if you need a weight-distribution hitch, and tongue adaptor) to tow 8500. Mine comes in under 8500lbs unless I load it up. I have Electric Over Hydraulic brakes on our Load Rite Elite Trailer and tow it with a 2015 F350 1 ton.

You should be fine unless you plan to tow often and want the convenience of putting everything in the boat.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
8500lb towing capacity is ok for a 25 Cruiser, but I would double-check if you need a weight-distribution hitch, and tongue adaptor) to tow 8500. Mine comes in under 8500lbs unless I load it up. I have Electric Over Hydraulic brakes on our Load Rite Elite Trailer and tow it with a 2015 F350 1 ton.

You should be fine unless you plan to tow often and want the convenience of putting everything in the boat.

Thanks for the reply. I already have a weight distribution hitch and I was planning to use it on the boat. All of our towing will be with 120 miles of our house, that's the great thing about Oregon, so many boating opportunities close to home!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a weight analysis for Journey On.

Towing: 8000 lbs

Weight in truck: 300 lbs+people

Weight in water, loaded for cruising: 7400 lbs

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an exact weight for my current or past C Dory 25. I have towed it with a 30' RV, where I had the towing part of the chassis upgraded, and put in a better torque converter (Ford V 10 Engine). I found towing better with the 3/4 Ton 7.3L Ford Diesel, and a weight distribution hitch. I towed my son's 25 (Cruise Ship) over the GrapeVine on I 5 in Calif during a day where the temps were 110* in the valley. We had to stop and let the tranny cool off. This was a Yukon XL with heavy duty tow package. I went on to tow my current C Dory 25 over 4000 miles and only added E/H brakes and air ride suspension in the rear. When the Yukon was nearing the end of its totally trouble free life, I sprung for a 2019 Ford 250, Diesel (450 hp and torque in the 950ft/lb Range.). What a difference! It is almost effortless even on hills, and we average about 12.5 mpg and with an auxiliary 35 gallon diesel tank, we have a range of about 800 miles. There is no worry about the truck, load, tongue weight etc put us over the weight limit. Newer Ford diesel is 475 hp and 1050 ft lbs torque...

Conclusion, although you can tow with the 1/2 ton--and if only short distances, it is fine. You are far better off with a 3/4 ton especially if you have large family and you want to go longer distances.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Mike_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I don't have an exact weight for my current or past C Dory 25. I have towed it with a 30' RV, where I had the towing part of the chassis upgraded, and put in a better torque converter (Ford V 10 Engine). I found towing better with the 3/4 Ton 7.3L Ford Diesel, and a weight distribution hitch. I towed my son's 25 (Cruise Ship) over the GrapeVine on I 5 in Calif during a day where the temps were 110* in the valley. We had to stop and let the tranny cool off. This was a Yukon XL with heavy duty tow package. I went on to tow my current C Dory 25 over 4000 miles and only added E/H brakes and air ride suspension in the rear. When the Yukon was nearing the end of its totally trouble free life, I sprung for a 2019 Ford 250, Diesel (450 hp and torque in the 950ft/lb Range.). What a difference! It is almost effortless even on hills, and we average about 12.5 mpg and with an auxiliary 35 gallon diesel tank, we have a range of about 800 miles. There is no worry about the truck, load, tongue weight etc put us over the weight limit. Newer Ford diesel is 475 hp and 1050 ft lbs torque...

Conclusion, although you can tow with the 1/2 ton--and if only short distances, it is fine. You are far better off with a 3/4 ton especially if you have large family and you want to go longer distances.

Thanks.

For years I’ve been towing a 7900 pound travel trailer around Oregon with no problems with my 2018 GMC 1500. I can pull my travel trailer at 70% throttle over our local 6% passes at 50mph. I think I could handle 8500 given everything I want to is within 120 miles. My old 1998 f150 with factory tow package struggled with my 5000 pound boat. It seems 1/2 ton truck capability’s have improved in the last 20 years. That being said I recognize that having a truck that’s not maxing out it’s tow capability’s is ideal.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7900# travel trailer probably is less aerodynamic than the C Dory. (This why the older Honda Pilots would tow a 5,000# boat, but only a 3,500# travel trailer.). For the distances you travel--you should be OK. Several owners of 25 tow with late model gasser 150/1500.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very impressed with the Silverado Duramax diesel. Plenty of torque, stable at speed, and great MPG (we averaged 17 mpg to/ from northern NY and that includes many miles up and down PA”s endless series of ridges).
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm towing my CD-25 on a tandem axle aluminum trailer with my Ford F-150 with the 5.0L. Been round trip over the Rockies twice last year, no problem! I also have EOH brakes on the trailer. No equalizing hitch. (They are not recommended by many trailer manufacturers.)

Boat loaded on trailer, 8304 lbs. total weight. Tongue weight 644 lbs. (Full gas and water, and equipment.)

Boat weight, no fuel or water, no trailer: 5400 lbs
LoadRite Trailer empty, no boat. Tongue 360 lbs
Axles 1,280 lbs
Total 1, 640 lbs
Mike_b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I'm towing my CD-25 on a tandem axle aluminum trailer with my Ford F-150 with the 5.0L. Been round trip over the Rockies twice last year, no problem! I also have EOH brakes on the trailer. No equalizing hitch. (They are not recommended by many trailer manufacturers.)

Boat loaded on trailer, 8304 lbs. total weight. Tongue weight 644 lbs. (Full gas and water, and equipment.)

Boat weight, no fuel or water, no trailer: 5400 lbs
LoadRite Trailer empty, no boat. Tongue 360 lbs
Axles 1,280 lbs
Total 1, 640 lbs

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: