The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Looking for a C-dory 22, advantages of newer vs. older?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djboat1975

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Looking for a C-dory 22, advantages of newer vs. older? Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm sure this isn't the first time it's been asked here, and I tried to search (lack of searching message subject only, makes that hard).

I'm in the market for a C-dory 22, and I'm wondering what (condition aside) are the advantages/disadvantages of older 90's boats vs. newer 2000s' 2010's boats?

I'm a woodworker and like to customize--so the glassed in cabinets and floors of the newer c-dory's seem more like a hinderance than a benefit. Are there any other "improvements" to the newer models that make them more desirable than a 90's C-dory?

As it is now it seems like the best fit for me would be a mid 90's dory that's in sound shape but need of a refresh (repower, new upholstery, canvas, cabinets). What are the common faults that would be found in a 25yo cdory?

Thanks!

Dan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all of the messages for the last several months for the potential "defects" mostly involving core water intrusion.

I have owned a 1993 and 2006 C Dory22 which were basically very similar--both had wooden interiors. The primary feature plus on the 2006, is SS grab bars, vs the teak. The other was the two piece removable floor boards in the cockpit. I had used, Dry Deck, plus closed cell foam mat in the floor of the first 22. There may be some slight difference in the fuel tanks and some hatches over the lazarte leak--so an upgrade may be necessary to prevent that water intrusion.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the FG interior. It is more durable and better looking (IMO). Cutting and working the FG interior is not a whole lot different than a wood interior. Bit more dust maybe. Tools are pretty much the same.

Newer boats also have the all glass cabin door and bigger fuel tanks. My '08 has two 23 gal tanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have had several glass doors on the C Dorys, I prefer the opening window in the door for the ventilation.
djboat1975

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I've seen the posts about the water intrusion issues with the 2007 and later boats with the glassed in cockpit deck and interior.

I'm curious if that issue has been addressed in later models.

As it is now, I'm shying away from anything newer than 2006.

What year did they upgrade the gas tanks?
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djboat1975 wrote:
... As it is now, I'm shying away from anything newer than 2006. ...

Be aware that some 2006 boats have the removable floor panels in the cockpit. This gives you the advantage of a flat cockpit floor while still having the old hull style.

But the water intrusion issues are mostly a result of the mountings of the fuel tank restraints. I'm not sure if earlier boats are completely immune to this problem.

On the other hand, it is possible that my '08 might have some water intrusion based what some other owners have described. I haven't checked, noticed any problems, or really care if there is some water in the core at the rear of the cockpit. If there is water back there, it hasn't affected the boat in any way I can detect. It is not something I'm going to worry about.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2003 has the 23 gal tanks. Also, I prefer the plywood cabinets. I don't have the glassed in false floor in the cockpit and I like it that way. If the false floor was removable that might be better.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say as a general statement, the newer the better if money doesn't mean anything. But for most of us, money is important and it isn't fun being boat poor. As discussed, and will continued to be discussed, there are pros and cons between the old ones and the newer ones. In my opinion these are just nuisances. If you can find an old one for the right price and in good condition, it won't be that much different of a boat, that is unless you go back to the first gen 22. But, I didn't get the impression you were going back THAT far. That's not to say I don't like the pre 87 boats, it just seemed outside of the scope of the topic at hand.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age of the boat is not nearly as relevant as the care that has been taken of it during it's lifetime. Cleaned, cared for and stored indoors 2 year old boat is probably in better shape than a 2 year old, stored our doors or moored without some good preventative care.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
The age of the boat is not nearly as relevant as the care that has been taken of it during it's lifetime. Cleaned, cared for and stored indoors 2 year old boat is probably in better shape than a 2 year old, stored our doors or moored without some good preventative care.

But with a newer boat, there is less time for neglect to do its damage.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
hardee wrote:

But with a newer boat, there is less time for neglect to do its damage.

Yes, probably, but I doubt you would be interested in setting your boat outside, no cover, no bottom paint and a bilge pump on a battery for a couple of years just to test out the aging process.

I'm betting on a 20 year old boat with great care and storage will be in better shape than the 2 year old.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the previous 2 posters are correct, of course. General statements are just that.....general.....lol....and with exceptions. The thing is, great condition older models demand nearly the same price as newer models that haven't been somebody's baby. I won't get into which one is going to be better because there is far too much conjecture and suppositions in that. Value is value....sounds silly but it's true. Get the best you can afford and will make you happy on the water Smile
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djboat1975 wrote:
Thanks for the info... I've seen the posts about the water intrusion issues with the 2007 and later boats with the glassed in cockpit deck and interior.

I'm curious if that issue has been addressed in later models.

As it is now, I'm shying away from anything newer than 2006.

What year did they upgrade the gas tanks?

I think what you're describing is the raised floor in the cockpit of 2007 and later boats. Water gets under the floor through cracked old caulking against the cabin bulkhead. It no longer seals so rainwater collect. The solution is a really simple one. Just redo the caulking. I carefully removed all the old caulking and replaced it, now theres no more water under the floor. Its really a non-issue once you've replaced the caulking.

I prefer the fiberglass interior of the later model, but I didn't have a problem with my plywood interior of our previous 2003. The reversible port seat of the later FB interior setup really is better though IMO. That's an awesome feature that the wife really appreciates which our earlier c-dory didn't have.

If you're planning a repower it may not matter but all the outboard brands switched to fuel injection sometime in the mod 2000s, 2007 for Honda. Fuel injection is a huge and significant improvement. Also the later model outboards tend to have a higher charging capacity, which in a cruising boat is pretty important.

frank adams

City/Region: glen allen
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Eagle's Nest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new today! I bought a sad 2004 C-Dory 22' cruiser a month ago and have spent nearly every day stripping her interior. I completely gutted everything that was screwed down. Can't believe someone used steel L-brackets in many cases they had disintegrated and were mere dust. I bought 40 stainless steel replacement brackets. I removed rust, stains, filled all screw hole and painted the floor. painted all of the plywood pieces and reassemble all the cabinets. Removed, cleaned, reinstalled fuel tanks, straps, hoses. Relocated battery charger, water/fuel separator. And spent hours killing mold and mildew. I am proud of my work, but so disappointed in the care that was given (not given to her). Even with the neglect she experienced she is still holding her head high, is a sound boat and is on the road to full recovery. Having a new BF90 Honda installed in the next few weeks (so says dealer) and looking forward to a new maiden voyage. After renaming ceremony and a couple of shack down cruises I off to singlehandedly circumnavigating the DelMarva Peninsula.
thanks for letting me ramble, just needed to start telling her story!

on the Chesapeake Bay
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Frank, Glad to see you here. You sound like the kind of owner most of us are and all of us want to follow when we buy. This is a great place. Congrats on coming in and on your new to you and already finer vessel. Have fun, enjoy and keep sharing. Ask the admin guys, (Go to the "memberlist" button up top and send a PM to any of the to three on the list -- Tyboo, DaNag or Admin), and ask for photo album. Then you can add some photos and show off your new boat.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: