New guy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey D

City/Region: Langley
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

Hello all and thank you for having me!

Just moved to Langley WA on the south end of Whidbey Island.

I don’t own a C-Dory (yet) and I’m here to learn all about what appears to be the boat to have here on Puget Sound.

I do currently enjoy a 1965 Boston Whaler Nauset 17’ I’ve had since 2018. It’s a great inshore boat that I fished and boat-in camped with in the San Francisco Bay Area delta, inland reservoirs and nicer days on the bay. It’s definitely a wet boat with a pretty rough ride in any chop and primarily why I’m looking to a C-Dory to get out of the wind and for a smoother v-hull ride.

I look forward to reading and learning more.

Cheers!

70 Suzuki 2003
Home Port: Langley, WA
Joey D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Admin: please move this to Stickies! Reply with quote

Ooops I created a new thread instead of replying to Stickies.

Can Admin please relocate my post?
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy Reply with quote

Joey D wrote:
Hello all and thank you for having me!

Just moved to Langley WA on the south end of Whidbey Island.

I don’t own a C-Dory (yet) and I’m here to learn all about what appears to be the boat to have here on Puget Sound.

I do currently enjoy a 1965 Boston Whaler Nauset 17’ I’ve had since 2018. It’s a great inshore boat that I fished and boat-in camped with in the San Francisco Bay Area delta, inland reservoirs and nicer days on the bay. It’s definitely a wet boat with a pretty rough ride in any chop and primarily why I’m looking to a C-Dory to get out of the wind and for a smoother v-hull ride.

I look forward to reading and learning more.

Cheers!

Joe, while a CDory does have a sharp entry, there is very little dead rise aft of the house. You slow down, or you visit your dentist to get fillings replaced. That said, they’re wonderful boats.

If you want to go fast in the chop, look for a Cutwater or a Sea Sport

Joey D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craver,

Thanks for the feedback!
Speed not so much what I’m after as much as stability, safety and versatility i.e. fishing, cruising.

I’m seeing 22’s and 25’s are very popular and towable w my SRW gas rig, GMC 2500.

Really enjoying the site, the photo albums and comraderie.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whalers like you own are awesome...in Hawai’i or Florida. Laughing You’ll love the cabin of a C Dory. Dry and out of the weather is needed up here and these little boats meet the requirements you posted above.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard and don't worry about where your post is as long as we can see it. We are pretty laid back here - it fits the style of the C-Dory.

Best of luck on your search for the perfect boat. I think you are on the right track, for sure.

John&Robin

City/Region: Freeland
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Biscuit (was Wanda Fuca!)
Photos: C-Biscuit
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
We're C Brat neighbors in Freeland and couldn't be happier with the boat! We moved down from a 38' cruising sailboat to a CD22 five years ago are having a ball. The cabin for getting out of the chilly north winds on the way back from crabbing, the light and views when camp cruising, easy trailering- we made it east to Lake Roosevelt- and it's plenty of boat for these waters. We've managed to get at least one other couple hooked on them! You'll love it!

John and Robin

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Joey D. AS mentioned -- Oh, first -- Welcome to the greatest C-Dory place around -- and yes, the C-Dory is a very stable, economical platform. Moderate speeds will be comfortable in lite chop, to about a foot. at 2 ft chop you will be slowing some, but depending on the wave period spacing, you can still get 12Knots with judicial use of the trim tabs and or Permatrim*. If you are looking and considering at all a 25. one of the cleanest ones around is just around the corner from me, here in Sequim, and only a short ferry ride for you. Call and talk to Ed and then take a look. Also know, the good ones go very quick, so have $$$ in hand. Base the purchase on satisfactory sea trial and survey; mechanical eval unless you are into doing that part yourself.

* NOTE, those speed estimates are for the 22. A 25 will take more chop at more speed due to the size/weight difference.

Good luck, and enjoy. Great place here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Joey D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Whalers like you own are awesome...in Hawai’i or Florida. Laughing You’ll love the cabin of a C Dory. Dry and out of the weather is needed up here and these little boats meet the requirements you posted above.

Haha yes only the fairest of days on the sound for Fishdreamer!

Au Kai a beauty!
Joey D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Welcome aboard and don't worry about where your post is as long as we can see it. We are pretty laid back here - it fits the style of the C-Dory.

Best of luck on your search for the perfect boat. I think you are on the right track, for sure.

Cheers thx!
Joey D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John&Robin wrote:
Hi Joe,
We're C Brat neighbors in Freeland and couldn't be happier with the boat! We moved down from a 38' cruising sailboat to a CD22 five years ago are having a ball. The cabin for getting out of the chilly north winds on the way back from crabbing, the light and views when camp cruising, easy trailering- we made it east to Lake Roosevelt- and it's plenty of boat for these waters. We've managed to get at least one other couple hooked on them! You'll love it!

John and Robin

Awesome neighbor I look fw to meeting you! I’m just down the road near Bayview.
It’s going to take a few months to get settled in.
I appreciate the feedback!
Joey D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
HI Joey D. AS mentioned -- Oh, first -- Welcome to the greatest C-Dory place around -- and yes, the C-Dory is a very stable, economical platform. Moderate speeds will be comfortable in lite chop, to about a foot. at 2 ft chop you will be slowing some, but depending on the wave period spacing, you can still get 12Knots with judicial use of the trim tabs and or Permatrim*. If you are looking and considering at all a 25. one of the cleanest ones around is just around the corner from me, here in Sequim, and only a short ferry ride for you. Call and talk to Ed and then take a look. Also know, the good ones go very quick, so have $$$ in hand. Base the purchase on satisfactory sea trial and survey; mechanical eval unless you are into doing that part yourself.

* NOTE, those speed estimates are for the 22. A 25 will take more chop at more speed due to the size/weight difference.

Good luck, and enjoy. Great place here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvy,

Thx for the solid advice.
I see how this community is the place to be and I’m finding the support available will inform my choices.

Yes I saw Ed’s post including accolades from a previous owner!
Very nice boat and it appears “Ms Penny” has already found a new home.
“Thataway” - What a magnificent CD25 Dr. Bob is selling. Completely set up.

My hope is once I get settled in with my ducks in a row the perfect CD will appear.
I will likely sell the Whaler although she’s a great inshore, lake boat we’ll see.
Spent the last three years customizing, new Pacific trailer, MinnKota trolling motor. It’s a fishing machine!

Viewed a bit of your extensive catalog and yet to discern the HP of the twins on “Sleepy C”. Twin 40’s?

Cheers-
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, TWIN 40's. A good choice at the time. I didn't do that, I got the boat with 80 hours on it; have managed to add some past that now. Glad you enjoyed the pix.

I talked to Ed this morning. It went faster than he thought it would. I wasn't surprised, it is in pretty nice shape.

Be ready. Never know when they will show up, or where.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey D wrote:
localboy wrote:

Au Kai a beauty!

Had many a good time on Whalers in my youth/early 20s. A friend had a beautiful 13' with a new 25 horse. Even caught some small tuna (aku) off of Diamond Head in that little boat! But the water was in the 80s...not the 50s... Laughing Cool
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Joey D wrote:
localboy wrote:

Au Kai a beauty!

Had many a good time on Whalers in my youth/early 20s. A friend had a beautiful 13' with a new 25 horse. Even caught some small tuna (aku) off of Diamond Head in that little boat! But the water was in the 80s...not the 50s... Laughing Cool

Yes, I originally brought my father's Whaler-like center-helm crabbing boat from the Chesapeake here. Great boat for the Chesapeake's warm, shallow water, fishing, and particularly for running a crab line. We use pots here, but more deck space for stacking them was still a plus. The most telling story was diving for scallops with it and being colder in the boat than in the water. Having a heated cabin rather than a larger open area seems a no-brainer now. I am very happy with the compromises the C-Dory 22 offers. I took the crabbing boat "home" to the other Bay. I think it is happier there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: