Sea Trial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Sea Trial Reply with quote

2006 CD 25 under contract and scheduled for survey/sea trial next Thursday. I have had no less than 3 22's and decided on my last vacation with my son just a few more amenities would be welcomed, such as a head. We were staying at a state park and sometimes had twenty plus people on the docks fishing not ten feet from the boat. The state bathroom was so far away I thought my bladder wouldn't make it. I haven't decided if I'll keep the 22' for quick day trips or multi location moorages. Either way, I am super excited to bring another CD into the fold.

Being I haven't had a 25' before anything I should focus on other than the usual with a 22' during survey?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many will have soft cockpit decks. Around the 4 inspection hatches are most common. Also if there is a step into the cockpit (covers the fuel tank fill on both sides, plus the vent hose. Also this allows some access to the bilge outboard of the fuel tank.). The cure is fairly easy--remove core and fill with epoxy thickened.

Also look at the usual soft areas, around hatches and fittings.

A lot depends on the year. The early boats had the holding tank aft--and a macerator pump which often get wet and failed.

150 Hondas, check the end play on the engine shaft: Lack of a thrust bearing when converted from automotive to marine use.

The wooden interior will have the usual "L" brackets, which need to be checked for water intrusion. Also aft cabin bulkhead inside the boat-check for core damage at the bottom. Check the bilge pump under the steps--see if there is any seepage from the bilge under the cockpit.

Older boats may have the Honda 130 or Suzuki 140--these do not perform as well as the Honda 150 on up. Many ae upgrading the 150 (which is fine) to 175 or 200, if you run a heavy boat.

IF the boat has the removable cockpit floor, check the caulking around it.

Check the aft bilge by the aft hatches and inspection ports.

Good luck--the boats do have a lot more room. Also ride a bit better than the 22's.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bshillam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Many will have soft cockpit decks. Around the 4 inspection hatches are most common. Also if there is a step into the cockpit (covers the fuel tank fill on both sides, plus the vent hose. Also this allows some access to the bilge outboard of the fuel tank.). The cure is fairly easy--remove core and fill with epoxy thickened.

Also look at the usual soft areas, around hatches and fittings.

A lot depends on the year. The early boats had the holding tank aft--and a macerator pump which often get wet and failed.

150 Hondas, check the end play on the engine shaft: Lack of a thrust bearing when converted from automotive to marine use.

The wooden interior will have the usual "L" brackets, which need to be checked for water intrusion. Also aft cabin bulkhead inside the boat-check for core damage at the bottom. Check the bilge pump under the steps--see if there is any seepage from the bilge under the cockpit.

Older boats may have the Honda 130 or Suzuki 140--these do not perform as well as the Honda 150 on up. Many ae upgrading the 150 (which is fine) to 175 or 200, if you run a heavy boat.

IF the boat has the removable cockpit floor, check the caulking around it.

Check the aft bilge by the aft hatches and inspection ports.

Good luck--the boats do have a lot more room. Also ride a bit better than the 22's.

Such a wealth of knowledge thank you so very much I literally just copied and paste it all the valuable information you provided to the surveyor!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob hit them. Good list.

Bilges are notorious for being wet. Make sure any penetrations aren't water-logged in the bilge. Our water pump was screwed in, as was the bilge pump and brackets holding up battery trays. I moved the water pump up to the battery tray and {epoxy} sealed all the holes that remained. Same with the steps & inspection covers. All had exposed balsa so look for rot. Same with the anchor windlass. Check the brass bow guard is secure. There has been some leaking issues.

bshillam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday can't come soon enough, hoping for a good report. Already have bearings, impeller and bottom paint scheduled.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Hope the report and sea trial goes well. If you do end up buying the boat, ask your mechanic about replacing the internal anodes along with the new impeller and housing replacement. The mechanic may suggest this anyway.
bshillam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Survey Reply with quote

Well good and bad with all boats of course. Lots of little things, this boat wasn't loved like I would have liked but thats ok. Some moisture but no delamination except for one of the cockpit steps. I'll probably drop it off at the yard I work with have them re-bed most of the hardware. Lack of time prohibits me from doing this work. With a few fixes and upgrades she'll make a great cruiser. Short order of upgrades immediately, new stereo, new self leveling trim tabs, canvas enclosure, full detail, new electronics, radar arch/or mount, new anchor, lines/fenders, upgrade charger/battery system.

I sure there are others but this will get it started.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure that whomever does the work, understands the necessity to under cut and remove the wet balsa around the leaking hatches and steps. Just "receding" them is not sufficient. It does not take all that much time (but it can be expensive by shipyard prices.
bshillam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the boat, no surprises yet. She'll clean up really nicely. Looking forward to a serious wash and wax outside and hose out on the inside. Couple of thoughts on this model and know we probably have some historical experience. The little steps in the cockpit, they are delaminating and need to be replaced or rebuilt, anyone done this before? Thinking a slightly larger step would be a good upgrade. The lower cockpit hatches are failing and thinking a newer style hatch would probably be a good improvement over whats there. The lip does nothing but gather water and it can only drain into the hull. Thoughts there too would be wonderful, who has replaced those?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed and repaired the steps. Pics in my album. I and others also removed and replaced the hatches with aftermarket hatches that are much more water resistant. Pics in my album on that too along with the thread below.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26390&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hatches&start=15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: