View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: fuel tank covers Reply with quote

I HAVE A 2010 CD 22 CRUISER. IS THERE A WAY TO REMOVE THE FUEL TANK COVERS WITHOUT DESTROYING THEM. I NEED TO REPLACE THE FUEL PICKUPS, THE FUEL LINES AND POSSIBLY THE SELECTOR VALVE. I HAVE CONSIDERED CUTTING ACCESS HOLES IN THE PANELS, OR SIMPLY REMOVING THE PERMANENT TANKS AND REPLACING WITH PORTABLE 23G TANKS FROM MOELLER. ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION, PLEASE?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no "covers" to take off. You have to remove the forward panels, the strips or tie downs on the hull bottom, and then disconnect the full, pull them out forward. Nothing destructive about it. Easiest if the tanks are empty, or nearly so.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is those “panels” I am referring to. I wiil try to attach a picture. Not very good at this.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There panels are bolted at the top and screwed in at the bottom. It may differ from year to year. But the idea is to remove screws and slip the panels out. Some have cutouts to reveal fuel level, others don't.

No need to cut anything.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinnuckles@icloud.com wrote:
Yes. It is those “panels” I am referring to. I wiil try to attach a picture. Not very good at this.

Before you can add pictures you will need to have a photo album, Which you have but it is empty. (Bummer) because I can't help you with that, you need a kid, 8 to 10 years old, and they can do it in a heartbeat. . . . Me, it takes a month of Sundays and seems like every time it's a different result.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: covers in front of tanks (with fuel window), panels Reply with quote

Bob, you are right about the way they are attached. It is the bulge from 10 years that presents the complication. The panels are wedged by the bulging tank and so will not slide, even on the side that is near empty. I have read that
10 years is all we can expect from the tanks, so maybe it is best to replace the tanks and lines now, instead of just the pickups. My truck is 24 and the tank is sound and never needed a replacement pickup....
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: covers in front of tanks (with fuel window) Reply with quote

Sorry. I forgot to say "thank you" to Bob, Hardee, and Tyboo. I am a relative new comer to the forum and appreciate the help very much.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: covers in front of tanks (with fuel window), panels Reply with quote

kevinnuckles@icloud.com wrote:
Bob, you are right about the way they are attached. It is the bulge from 10 years that presents the complication. The panels are wedged by the bulging tank and so will not slide, even on the side that is near empty. I have read that
10 years is all we can expect from the tanks, so maybe it is best to replace the tanks and lines now, instead of just the pickups. My truck is 24 and the tank is sound and never needed a replacement pickup....

Bulging tanks often come from long idle periods with the tanks full. Probably exacerbated when this occurs in hot environments (I know that my boat can get quite hot, ~130 deg, under the cover during the summer). I tend to get the tanks a low as possible when I anticipate the boat will be idle for a long time. This seems to help with the bulging. My tanks are bulged a bit, but the covers are still easily moved/removed.

Last edited by ssobol on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replaced my 2006 22’ cruiser fuel, vent, and fill lines this week. Panels were bolted at the top and had screws at the bottom into a metal bracket. If the panels covering the tanks are bulging out, that seems like serious tank deformation or maybe even blocked vents in hot weather? I have 25 gallon moeller tanks, and after replacing all the lines and scrubbing tanks and the cockpit under them I still have a bit of fuel smell. According to Moeller these particular poly tanks do allow some fuel smell to permeate… not too happy with that as I want to sleep back there under the full canvas, but it is apparently not a level of ignitable vapor. One day maybe I will replace the tanks, but that day was not this week. I dont know if other cbrats have experienced this, but I have seen it talked about on other boating forums with similar references to manufacturers saying it is “normal” to smell fuel from some tanks. If you can get pictures up, it would help us understand what is keeping your tanks jammed on!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTexan wrote:
Just replaced my 2006 22’ cruiser fuel, vent, and fill lines this week. Panels were bolted at the top and had screws at the bottom into a metal bracket. If the panels covering the tanks are bulging out, that seems like serious tank deformation or maybe even blocked vents in hot weather? I have 25 gallon moeller tanks, and after replacing all the lines and scrubbing tanks and the cockpit under them I still have a bit of fuel smell. According to Moeller these particular poly tanks do allow some fuel smell to permeate… not too happy with that as I want to sleep back there under the full canvas, but it is apparently not a level of ignitable vapor. One day maybe I will replace the tanks, but that day was not this week. I dont know if other cbrats have experienced this, but I have seen it talked about on other boating forums with similar references to manufacturers saying it is “normal” to smell fuel from some tanks. If you can get pictures up, it would help us understand what is keeping your tanks jammed on!

I used to notice a gas smell after fueling. Turned out that the filler hoses were leaking. After replacing the hoses, there is no smell except from gas that spills during filling the tanks (a common problem). Once this gas evaporates, the smell is gone.

FWIW, I have noticed that the new portable Moeller tanks (unvented) deform quite a bit in hot weather from the pressure of the gas fumes. I expect that the plastic tanks used on C-Dorys can probably do the same thing.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with a 2006 and a 1993 C Dory 22 is that both. had original tanks. Sorry to hear about the "Bulging" tanks--it suggests that they have deformed with time. I would agree that blocked vents--and full tank may contribute to this. It is not "normal'.

Hopefully you will get an album and show us some photos.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: RELIEVED Reply with quote

ON A COOLER DAY, I JETTED WATER TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PANELS TO WASH OUT SLUDGE AND ACCUMULATED DEBRIS. I THEN FILLED THE CHANNELS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PANELS WITH DAWN DISH WASHING SOAP TO CLEAN AND LUBRICATE THE CHANNEL. NEXT I FED A ROPE THROUGH THE"WINDOW" ON THE ACCESS PANEL AND GAVE IT A TUG. THE PANEL SLID AWAY WITH NO ARGUMENT EXPOSING THE FUEL TANKS AND HIDDEN BILGE. WHAT A RELIEF. THANKS ALL. BTW, FUEL PROBLEM WAS LIKELY A SHARPLY BENT FUEL VENT HOSE. [/img]
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: fuel tank covers Reply with quote

what a relief... see my photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: