City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
remind myself how many fellows have fallen overboard pissing over the side.

I don't know whether it is true, but there is an often repeated claim that >50% of the male drowning victims are recovered with their fly unzipped. I solved this by buying pants without zippers.

Seriously, I'm in neutral with the boat stopped before I go into the cockpit. Then I have my "gentleman's discreet urinal" setup so that I don't lean out over the side (picture in my photo album under "Modifications - Enclosed Head"). I don't know if the splash well scuppers allow this device to be used on other CDs, but it works fine on the 16.

There was a discussion on another boating board as to whether urinating over the side was a prohibited discharge of waste. One of the posters said that the regulation was written such that a collection of waste could not be discharged but if the waste was never collected then it could not constitute an unlawful discharge, ergo, peeing over the side is allowed.

I've never done the research to verify this. When I'm solo with nobody else within sight or maybe even VHF range, I'll stay away from the gunnel and use my legally questionable gadget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
colbysmith wrote:
remind myself how many fellows have fallen overboard pissing over the side.

Seriously, I'm in neutral with the boat stopped before I go into the cockpit. Then I have my "gentleman's discreet urinal" setup so that I don't lean out over the side (picture in my photo album under "Modifications - Enclosed Head"). I don't know if the splash well scuppers allow this device to be used on other CDs, but it works fine on the 16.

I have no comment on your 'gentleman's discreet urinal".( Me, I used a milk jug)
However I find your use of a stool for your stools intriguing. A folding stool/stool, yes that works for me.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m into being safety wise/self preservation, but perhaps not to the extreme of some others here. As far as peeing ect over the side in areas where appropriate (in Alaska I’ve seen outhouses that empty directly into the tidal zone in marinas & small towns) it was a matter of using the side step & one hand on the grap rail for peeing & the other was still one hand on the grap rail & rear end over the side & this while underway, but not alone. That worked ok, though I was a bit apprehensive about the big white target attracting a sea lion or such. Now a little older & not quite so over confident, a pee jug & the port potti with a small stainless pot inside the bowl, whose contents can be easily emptied, I find much improved safety wise.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where I saw this. It was ta a small fishing village, somewhere up in BC, in a combination Post Office, Market and hardware store. Just a big glass jar, maybe 2.5 Gallon, with a couple dozen PVC tubes, 3/4", with some decretive paining on them and one end cut at about a 25degree angle and about 24 inches long. and a 8 or 10 inch loop of poly line attached at the beveled end. The sign on the side of the jar said "Relief tubes". Well, it went right over my head so I asked the gal at the counter, who was maybe 16 or 17 years old what they were. She said "just read the sign", I said, I did but I still didn't understand. She turned and disappeared into the back of the store and then this older lady, came out and asked what I didn't understand. I pointed to the jar of tubes. She says, "so you don't have to fall out of the boat when you have to pee." If I remember right, they were about $12.oo each. Just filling a niche.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a helpful discussion!

I went out for the first time solo on the C-Dory last Saturday on the Chesapeake. I think the PFD advice is solid, so is the warning to cut engines to idle before heading out of the cabin.

The bay was pretty well sprinkled with boats, but after heading out a ways it was obvious that a single person floating apart from his C-Dory on the vast expanse might not be spotted for a while, or -- if spotted -- might be mistaken for a water skier.

So I was pretty deliberate and avoided any solo tomfoolery (sashaying up the side to pull in a fender, for example). Instead, I figured out how to do as much as possible from inside. I secured the fenders, untied the cheat line -- I even snagged the guide rope by reaching out the window making my solo docking excursion a major coup in docktation (that no one witnessed. Alas).

Obviously bigger, colder, rougher conditions could make solo boating a bit more of an adventure! Not that I'm averse to adventure, but I'm a bit more calculating in my risk mitigations these days (probably due to surviving previous solo "adventures" solely on the grace of overworked guardian angels).
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Harvee. Just take precautions such as flotation and beacon. don't go out in shit weather alone.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
SelmaAdam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to go boating all by yourself? Jesus! sounds risky. sometimes shit happens, I would advice a minimum of two people onboard.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelmaAdam wrote:
Why would you want to go boating all by yourself? Jesus! sounds risky. sometimes shit happens, I would advice a minimum of two people onboard.

Well sometimes, if you want to go boating it's you alone or not go. That the way life is , , , sometimes.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelmaAdam wrote:

The more people aboard, the more likely something will go wrong. Going solo reduces the chances of an accident, unless the guest is a more accomplished boater than the captain. In which case, the guest would probably rather be solo. YEMV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelmaAdam wrote:

I often go boating to get away from people. Bringing someone with me kind of defeats the purpose.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

I often go boating to get away from people. Bringing someone with me kind of defeats the purpose.

Exactly. I boat alone quite often. I rigged my mid-side fenders with a bottom "string" so I can pull them up on the side deck. I use the docking pole to help push the anchor from the forward hatch. I always wear a life jacket and remember that neutral is good - but I boat a lot in the delta and the current is swift so not sure how much good. I do worry about getting my anchor stuck on something and having to deal with that on the forward deck though... when I last snagged something a friend was with me and we were able to work on it together.

And docking with a lot of wind is "challenging" without some help. I try and avoid windy days (hard to do in the delta though).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: