Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, lots of good advise here only a few things I might add.

1/ Do a test transmission on your VHF every trip out.

2/ Test fire the kicker. I had my 16' bowrider out on Lake Erie in some rather unfavorable conditions(younger and braver days). I knew I would be in trouble rather quickly if the main lost power so I had a second fuel line hooked up to the kicker, fuel bulb primed and choke on so it just had to be deployed and a quick pull to start.

3/Don't know if you have a windlass but going to the bow to anchor in an emergency and unfavorable conditions is risky at the best of times especially when solo. Due to heart issues and getting dizzy after bending down I have my boat rigged to deploy the anchor from the cockpit. Once hooked up it pulls from the bow eye then is retrieved from the cockpit.

Regards,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" 1/ Do a test transmission on your VHF every trip out. . . ."

By all means. In some areas there are test stations that you can call, and it will record you call and play it back to you. I loved that. The one in Friday Harbor, which I used to be able to get from Sequim Bay Entrance marker was moved a few years back and now I have to be half way across Juan de Fuca to get it, the last time I tried for it. (VHF 28 ). Now I do CG vhf 22 or find someone else, to confirm, both that the VHF is working and that they see my AIS signal. (VTS will do that IF they are not busy with traffic.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here. Just my two cents here. I do a lot of solo boating when my wife isn't along. Sometimes that solo boating is with other boats, sometimes completely by myself. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence and what you are comfortable with. I don't have the MOB or Kill switch system. However, I do have a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) and remind myself how many fellows have fallen overboard pissing over the side. Most the time I wear an inflatable life vest when I am in the cockpit or walking the gunnels to the bow. I let somebody know where I am, and many times fill out a personal float plan. I have both the swim platform ladder and a front bow ladder. The swim platform ladder can be extended from the water. As for launching and loading, either the 22 or 25 have been no problem to do solo. Many places I go, even when not with a boating buddy, have other boats around. While I have an AIS transmitter on my boat that is tracked by some ground stations that my wife can access online, several I know have the In Reach satallite system and subscription to tracking services that anybody with their internet link can follow. They can also send and receive text messages from their devices. Colby
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions provide practical information, sometimes.

I prefer more objective data.

According to published* USCG 2019 Recreational Boating Statistics (Pg 46),
of cases reported (thereby unreported cases absent), under the heading of
"Number of Persons on Board, One", reports boating this way results in:

Highest number of vessels involved (>1800)

Highest number of deaths (244)

Second highest number of injuries (588)

Along with a multitude of other factors causing mishaps/injuries/mortality,
the report also shows smaller boats have significantly more common
number of deaths in this size range (< 26') than large vessels (Pg 32).

* https://www.uscgboating.org/library/accident-statistics/Recreational-Boating-Statistics-2019.pdf

Be safe out there and know before you go.

Aye.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Objective data is good. Search for "leading causes of boating deaths" or anything similar. Digging into the (sea)weeds can be interesting. With respect to smaller boats, in particular, too many people on board is often more of a problem than too few. While data is not always available, and determining causes after the fact can be speculative, you are likely to find that alcohol is most often cited as the chief problem. Talk to a Coast Guard guy.
Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol caused more deaths. Operator inattention caused more accidents (Pg 7).

This report shows the number of deaths, of all boat sizes, actually goes down with
more people on board.

Credible reports from credible agencies probably yield more significant knowledge
compared to talking to any one individual.

Aye.
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Alcohol caused more deaths. Operator inattention caused more accidents (Pg 7). [Alcohol use certainly did cause "more" deaths. Look at the chart on page 23. It's 3 times the factor of any other known cause.]

This report shows the number of deaths, of all boat sizes, actually goes down with more people on board. [Obviously this finding has it's limits. Is one person in a 12 foot open skiff more dangerous than 12 people in the same boat. There has to be an optimum number. It may not be one - depending on the size of the boat, but it isn't just "more." One may well be more dangerous than two or three in a given boat, but are three drinking people safer than on sober one? Solo is more dangerous, but can be compensated for in ways that drinking cannot. Hence, the purpose of this thread.]

Credible reports from credible agencies probably yield more significant knowledge compared to talking to any one individual. [Agree. However, if the "any one" you are talking to has read and understands the "credible reports" and also has first hand knowledge and insight, or if the person has experience in a particular activity subsumed in a report's mass of data and generalizations, then you certainly can benefit from talking to the guy.]

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Foggy left out is the % of deaths in Cabin motor boats: 4% to 8%, Open motor boats about 50%, Canoe and Kayak 20%, PWC 10%.

Also persons who have formal education by CG Aux, or Power Squadron have low # of deaths and injuries.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, boating is more or less dangerous depending on a very wide array of factors. I assume (perhaps mistakenly) an above average safety-consciousness among C-Dory owners as compared to the general boating population out of which come the data for the CG reports. Bob makes an excellent point. I think our boats themselves are probably safer than many of the boats that make up that data.

I think having two or more people on the boat can be safer, but it depends entirely on who the people are. Are they safety-conscious themselves? Do they panic easily? Are they in good health and physical condition. Can they operate the boat, use the radio, perform man-overboard rescues? Do they drink?

There are many things a safety-conscious person in a safe boat can do to reduce risk. When I think of all the things I should do to be safe on a boat, having another person on board is way down the list. This thread is a very good index to many of the things that should be considered when soloing, but most of those things apply whenever you are boating.
Foggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I left out a lot more than that but covered irrelevants in saying "Along
with a multitude of other factors causing mishaps/injuries/mortality...".
The web reference allows anyone to read about the many factors and how they
may be mentioned as causal, either alone or in combination with other factors.
These were purposely omitted as not pertinent.

My original response appropriately addressed "Boating Alone". I added deaths
attributed to smaller vessels since this does apply to C-Dorys and many
participants on this site.

I invite anyone interested to read the report and draw your own conclusions.

Aye.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
My original response appropriately addressed "Boating Alone". I added deaths attributed to smaller vessels since this does apply to C-Dorys and many participants on this site.

I invite anyone interested to read the report and draw your own conclusions.

Aye.

Very good report, good read, thanks for posting - and yes, smaller boat numbers are relevant to C-Dory... also greatly appreciate Bob pointing out that the category of boat the C-Dory belongs in is a small 4-8% subset of the small boat figures - very relevant data there too. All good - be safe!

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boated ALONE for a long time and loved it. I never felt scared or intimidated but I'm a very independent person. I really enjoyed it too and felt a sense of accomplishment when I'd pull into new places (especially marinas or moorings). The only thing I never got comfortable with was anchoring alone overnight. I would always get a mooring or Marina slip.

Now I'm married and my boating alone days will probably be few and far between but I still cherish those memories

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1500 hours plus of boating alone I don't think there are many things I would do different if/when I have a guest(S) on board. I am just probably more concentrated, slower, and more diligent in pre-planning every move when I am alone. In my case, the is no alcohol or drugs on board, and I always have my PLB on my PFD and always have the MOB+ on my wrist. Also, NEVER climb on the gunnel to pee. (as a partial quote of Winston Churchill said, " Never, Never, Never ")

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in and on boats for 60 years. Have seen a lot of stupid things and have friends who still do stupid things. Too much alcohol, not wearing a PFD in the dink, especially after dark is always a concern.
Best single message I have read on this topic is Harvey's. I have also been on Harvey's boat and had a run down on boating solo.
Take Harvey's advice plus the best info from the other messages and you will always be boating tomorrow.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, You are making me blush Embarassed

Thank you and hope to catch up one of these days.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: