View previous topic :: View next topic  
fidalgoisland

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Critter
Photos: Sea Critter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Boating Alone Reply with quote

I tried to search the forums for this topic but didn't have much success. I am curious about boating alone. Most of the time I am with my wife and son but we have never used the boat as much as we planned. Even to the point that I recently considering selling. I would rather not as I am retired now and have more time than in the past. I still plan to boat most of the time with my wife and son but could get much more boat time if I also went out alone. I keep my boat in Skyline Marina in Anacortes so most of this would be around the islands that are nearby. Do others do this often? I know it is not as safe and there are added risks. Just curious to get others experiences and opinions. Thanks in advance.
Dennis
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the islands I wouldn't hesitate to take a CD out by myself. Some of the docks will get tricky with current or wind but just use more fenders then you think you need and always head in with lines on all four corners. Make sure to have a VHF handheld and good life jacket. Enjoy!

PS, tell someone your plan and when you are going to be back.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Boating Alone Reply with quote

fidalgoisland wrote:
I tried to search the forums for this topic but didn't have much success. I am curious about boating alone. Most of the time I am with my wife and son but we have never used the boat as much as we planned. Even to the point that I recently considering selling. I would rather not as I am retired now and have more time than in the past. I still plan to boat most of the time with my wife and son but could get much more boat time if I also went out alone. I keep my boat in Skyline Marina in Anacortes so most of this would be around the islands that are nearby. Do others do this often? I know it is not as safe and there are added risks. Just curious to get others experiences and opinions. Thanks in advance.
Dennis

I used to take my 22 out alone. I like having company and there is some safety in having another person on board but you can go it alone if need be. There are a lot of things you can do to increase safety - kill switches on your person, a small handheld radio and PLB on the life vest + a float plan filed with someone all help to increase safety. So, just plan and prepare, spend a little extra on safety gear and have fun. Also, if you want company, I'm sure there are other C-Brats who would go along. In the fishing off season, I'd probably go with if asked.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, Welcome here. Glad you asked.

There are a few of us who do boat alone. Maybe not always but mostly. Some of us like that, some don’t, and for me personally, I do and don’t it depends on where I am, for how long and who might be with me. I single-hand about 98% of my boating time. (Longest trip, 100 days solo). Sometimes I like that and as I said sometimes not because there are things out there that are just too beautiful not to share. I rarely launch for a day trip. Generally it is for 3-4 days or weeks at a time.

There are several considerations, and Roger just mentioned some. I will repeat some to emphasize the importance. SAFETY HAS TO COME FIRST. So, you do things that keep you safe, and make your trip safer. You do spend some extra $$$ to ensure that safety.

From Roger{bum’s} post,
Quote:
“There are a lot of things you can do to increase safety - kill switches on your person, a small handheld radio and PLB on the life vest + a float plan filed with someone all help to increase safety.”

First in the most important list for me is the kill switch. Mine is the MOB+ by Fell Marine. It kills the engines if I go overboard, or alarms if my passenger goes overboard. The engines stop in about 3 seconds. Even if a walk away from the boat on the dock.

Second, A PLB or Personal Locator Beacon, (mine is ACR brand), sends a message via satellite to the most local Search and Rescue service, either on land or sea. It is Always on my PFD, which is ALWAYS on when I am on the boat. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Third, an auto inflating, off shore PFD with a sling. (As mentioned above.)

Fourth, a good, waterproof, hand held VHF, On my PFD, 90% of the time. If it is not on me, it is where I can grab it in 2 seconds.

Fifth, is some kind of a float plan. There has to be some sort of preset plan for contact, including a time and a contingency plan for if there is no call or contact. There are ways. Cell phone, Spot, Garmin InReach, Sat Phone, Ham radio or whatever you can devise that is reliable.

Sixth. Make your boat easy to handle by yourself. Have fenders and lines arranged for easy access and deployment. Avoid having to wander around on the gunnels tying fenders, or being up on the bow “messing” with the anchor. ALWAYS DO EVERYTHING THE SAME WAY, so that it is always in the same place, and always ready. That way you never have to search for anything.

Seventh. Often, buddy boating, (especially at first), is a great way to go. You have your boat, your space, and your ways, but have someone within reach and accessible via VHF if you get into trouble.

Eighth. IF you anchor, DO NOT leave your boat until you are sure you have a good hook up. Back down on your anchor, until the bow tugs down, then relax and wait. Give it plenty of time, (half an hour at least) before leaving the vessel. Take that time to note where you are, and how your boat reacts to the anchor.

Ninth. Always know where you are. In the event something bad happens, you do not have time to stop and figure out where you are. Know how to use your DSC button on your radio for emergency notification. That will work IF you have set up your VHF with an assigned MMSI number. Do That.

Ten. Go out and enjoy. If it takes making out a check list to go over to be sure everything is done, in the right order, and all is functioning Do That. BUT, do go out and enjoy your boat. You can do it; many have and Yes, it does work and Yes it does get easy. And yes, sometimes you won’t like it, but most of the time you will.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a single-hand friendly way back into the boat... a ladder that you can get to from outside the boat at any time (in other words, not a side ladder that you have to set up from inside the boat).

Don't think / assume you can climb in over the transom even with the assist of the outboard's tilt switch. PNW waters are cold and you need something dead easy that takes minimal effort.

I have no idea if you've thought about it or not... but C-Dorys are not particularly easy to get into from the water unless you have a swim step and or ladder. Even with a swim step, I'd suggest a ladder.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an exceptionally valuable thread. Thanks Harvey et. al.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent advice above!

Because I knew I would likely be single-handing quite a bit, I had a second helm installed in the cockpit. There were times when it was a boat saver, if not a life saver. (An unexpected wind storm in Penn Cove, comes to mind.) I also bought one of those large rectangular fenders (which doubled as a seat in the dinghy or on the cockpit sole) for armoring the hull when approaching a dock without a mate. Have a sturdy boat hook or two positioned where you can get it when you need it! Arrange your fenders and mooring lines well ahead of time. Practice solo docking a lot.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boat alone fairly often and enjoy it. There has been lots of very good advice from the previous posters. One of the things I would offer is be sure you can get back into your boat. And what I mean by be sure, is to actually jump over the side in the water and do it. Obviously, don't do this out in the middle of nowhere, but somewhere handy and safe. And with someone to help you just in case. If you can't, then I think it is safe to say you really need to make sure you don't ever fall in and plan accordingly to the point of even reconsidering doing it at all. I agree with fenders and docking lines out and ready - and put them out before you ever get into the confines of the marina. I also strongly agree with having the motors out of gear and possibly even off while working out back just to be on the safe side. And yes, please please please, wear a life jacket when outside the cabin.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list Harvey!

I like to explore new areas to bottom fish while boating alone. When you take someone fishing it seems like you always have to be 'on' and produce fish otherwise there is disappointment. When fishing alone you can try new techniques and new areas that you wouldn't try otherwise.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thanks. By all means that is not a list if everything, nor perfect, but it's a starter. Others are bringing good advice too,

I don't particularly like being alone, but there are advantages. It is a small boat. there is no-one to consult on time to getup, leave or which direction to go, or when to eat. The trade off is that when that hump back whale breaches 150 feet in front of you, all the way out of the water and there wasn't time to get to the camera, which is always ready, or when the Orca shows up after a month on the water without seeing even one, and then slips off into the fog, or the sunrise lights the whole ocean, there is now one there to share those moments with.

This is a great thread and thanks Dennis for bringing it up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I do differently alone is wear a pdf 100% of the time. I do not do so all the time when I have company. Otherwise its similar. Docking and rope work you get used to doing solo, even with company if your company isn't up to the task. Its like netting your own fish Laughing
fidalgoisland

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Sea Critter
Photos: Sea Critter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and providing very valuable suggestions and recommendations. I have leaned a few things that I will now need to do before I go out solo. One in particular is getting back on the boat if I should go overboard. Although I'm not sure I want to jump it to test it but probably a very good idea. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes.
Dennis
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidalgoisland wrote:
One in particular is getting back on the boat if I should go overboard. Although I'm not sure I want to jump it to test it but probably a very good idea.

I did my test in Lake Powell. Warm fresh water. Sandy beach. Unrealistic but still an eye opener. Even in benign conditions the auto-inflate PFD is a little disorienting. And you know the permatrim type of outboard fins that say "Do Not Use As A Step"? Yeah, I used it as a step even on a CD 16.

I've never used the Coast Guard "flight plan" system. Anybody?

Some of the solo suggestions make it look like going solo has more gadgets and expenses. But everthing (handheld VHF, PLB) that makes solo safer makes safer boating with guests. Win win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fontanacdory

City/Region: Bryson City
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Ms Jill
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Solo cruiser Reply with quote

I single hand all the time, wife is just not in to it. I have had two cdory 22s,the first had no windless. The second one has one and is worth it’s weight in gold. I would never own a boat without one. Never leave the wheel house with the motor in gear . A permanent way to enter boat from the water. People single hand boats around the world and the best thing is no one is complaining.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One piece of advice not mentioned. Preferably turn motor off if you leave the cabin. Another, if you are going to the bow use the bow overhead window to get there, and have the motor off. Third: if it is stormy go to the nearest safe harbor, wait for better weather. Even if it is inconvenient.

ps - Sam Landsman took his C-Dory around Vancouver Island, some of it in awful weather. He probably is a better boater than most of us. Don't do what he did unless you really are better or as good a boatsman as he.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: