Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to bake on my sailboat on extended cruises when it wasn't too hot.

I would use an aluminum pressure cooker on a gimballed two burner propane stove (wish I still had the stove). I would place a pie pan upside down on the pressure cooker and place whatever I was going to bake, often beer bread,in another pan on top of the inverted pie pan.

That would do it. I recommend non-stick bakeware and you have to get a feel for the timing, but I had fresh bread. Often, however, I didn't have that much because others would smell the bread and hop into the dinghy in Boot Key Harbor and go visit Nick.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried cooking brownies in my pressure cooker today. I used a scratch recipe in this months Sunset. I put the batter in custard dishes and covered them with foil and stacked them in the cooker. They came out fine. I probably over cooked them just a little. You do have to experiment to get the correct timing.

Next time I am out on the boat and want some brownies I am set.

Steve
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Coleman Camp stove oven, and have made brownies a few times. It works well with the alcohol stove. Not sure how it would work with a Walace. It folds flat for storage and cost about $35.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the wallas I have never got the Coleman past 300 (after plugging all the holes) and it takes forever to get it there. The Coleman really needs a direct heat source (open flame) to work properly.
bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Fresh bak... fried bread aboard? Reply with quote

Prepare your dough at home before departure (easier in a bread machine). Keep the dough fresh wrapped in plastic wrap, in the fridge. To fry, just cut up a portion, flatten it out on a board (the one you used to filet the fish... Crook) rather thin. Then fry it on both sides. Hard to beat!
Next time wrap some cheese chunks inside the dough and then fry. Our name for it is “hojaldra.”

Ordered new boat, wont tell though, might be planked of the C-Brats...

John
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - your bread solutions sound good, but I don't do the food prep. That is why I got married and I couldn't have made a better choice. When it comes to cooking/meal preparation, Terri is an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10: However I never tell her that because I don't want it to go to her head. When she asks me to rate a dish, I never give her a 10 regardless how good it is. If she got a ten, that means nothing could be better and I want her to always try to do better.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
John - When she asks me to rate a dish, I never give her a 10 regardless how good it is. If she got a ten, that means nothing could be better and I want her to always try to do better.

Just as I thought, a real "HARD NOSE" at heart!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

Joe.

Nah, Joe. I've seen Dave and Terri together... he couldn't be more complimentary. Like most of the C-Brat couples I've met, the guys are fortunate that the ladies even let them hang around. Wink

Here's a solution to fresh baked stuff that we've been using onboard: not to sound like an infomercial, but the GT X-Press has been a great addition to our cooking. It is an electric grill, much like the sandwich makers that were popular about 10 years ago. The wells are deeper, though. We have made single-serving cakes (two at the same time, one angelfood, one devil's food), cinnamon rolls, biscuits with eggs, brownies, cookies, grilled sandwiches, tortilla pizzas. It only takes a few moments for it to heat up, and doesn't warm up the cabin like the Wallas.

And, yes, I did see this thing on a middle of the night infomercial months ago while not being able to sleep... thinking about our C-Dory. Joan saw an appliance almost identical at Walgreens, that they called an "omelett maker" - $9.99.

It's been good for us for some variety, YMMV.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Sea Wolf wrote:

Joe.

Nah, Joe. I've seen Dave and Terri together... he couldn't be more complimentary. Like most of the C-Brat couples I've met, the guys are fortunate that the ladies even let them hang around. Wink

Jim - I have spent a year tring to make everyone here think I am a "HARD NOSE" and you ruin it in one post. Wink Wink

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and rest on the galley:
Thought we were talking food here, turns out we are involved in nose contest, be it hard or soft... I don't do too much prep either, the machine does it. Creativity comes inn by what you decide to throw in with the rest of the dough ingredients; that’s! were genius comes in.
Curious thing about bread, though, you can put just about anything in it and you most probably will not taste it once it's done. I eve did sauerkraut once and the tasters did not identify it. You can put avocado in it, for example, and you will not taste it, but it does give the bread an extraordinary smoothness. So why put it in? Same reason you go fishing… fun! and nourishment.
Rest of the stuff I add you would not know, like "pixbae" or "nance;" tropical things, but you could look them up in the Internet.
John
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you guys convinced me, went to the net looking for a GT X-Press...MOST places reported out of stock. One place was offering it for $40 + $15 S/H PLUS a second one for only the $15 S/H, so we are going to have two for $70, if this was not a net rip off or something - anybody want to split the total and get one for $35?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of using a pressure cooker but I'll bet it will work great on the Wallas. Didn't even realize you could bake with one.

And I'm so impressed that you guys are baking! Serious brownie points, no pun intended.

The GT Xpress sounds interesting Pat, but don't you have to plug it in?
- Rene

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

primative wrote:
... And I'm so impressed that you guys are baking! Serious brownie points, no pun intended.

The GT Xpress sounds interesting Pat, but don't you have to plug it in?
- Rene

Yes, you have to plug in the Xpress. Not a problem when hooked to shore power, and the Honda generator makes it easy when at anchor. I made omlettes this morning: 7 minutes, and I didn't have to fuss with it or even look at it 'till they were done. Spray it with Pam, heat it up (takes a minute or so), pour in the eggs and what ever else you want (cheese, ham, sausage), close the lid. Come back in 7 minutes. I am a lousy cook and I can't mess this up. I also put an English muffin in the bottom and top when I want "finger food." And the best part: the Blonde is impressed when I make breakfast! Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim B.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the infomercial you get two of the little cookers for $39.95 if you call in the next 3 minutes. Like JamesTX, I found some similar items, sandwich cooker, waffle cooker, and omelet cooker at Alco and Target for $9.95.

The infomercial has some recipe ideas that are incredibly fast and delicious. I tried the Stove Top Wild Rice Stuffing mixed with Campbell's Garlic Mushroom soup. No water. Just mix the two together and put into the omelette cup thing about 5 minutes. Very good.

John
AnchortownJim

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Coho
Photos: Coho
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using a "BakePacker" for years and love it! Thumbs Up

http://www.bakepacker.com/index.html

Betty Crocker has mixes available at the grocery store that are the perfect size for the BakePacker Ultra-Light we use. All you need to do is add water and mix in plastic bag. Way easy! The baked products do not have a crust, but there is nothing like a warm poppy seed, blueberry, triple berry treat for breakfast on the boat! Smile

We will also buy the box mixes and cut them in half for the Ultra-Light model, subsituting powered egg and milk as required by the mix directions. This produces honey corn bread, ginger bread and a few other delights for dinner.

The Ultra-Light is the perfect size for three people or two very hunger people. I would not take Coho out without a few mixes aboard to use with our BakePacker.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: