View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Baking Aboard Reply with quote

After a recent excellent meal of home-baked northern pike, potatoes, and onions, we were lamenting our inability to bake aboard the MOOSE. But then I spied one of Myrna's round, aluminum "air bake" pans, which are double-walled and designed to bake evenly. It'll be a while before we get to try it, but I'd be willing to bet it will work great on the Magma. Because of the double-wall design, things tend to take longer to bake or require a hotter temperature. But I figure with our flame tamer in place and yet the terrible amount of heat a Magma can throw out it should be perfect for baking. We'll keep you posted.
Bon Appetit,
Al

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't used this onboard (yet), I have had good luck on my camp stove with the outback oven. In brief, it consists of a diffuser plate to help get even heating on the bottom of a pan, and an heat resistant "tent" like device that goes over a non-stick pan. It makes a little oven out of a pan. It works fairly well but of course I've only used it while back packing and one's perception of what's great baking changes a little on the 4th or 5th day out...

Roger on the SeaDNA

Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Baking Aboard Reply with quote

Roger,
Looks like your set should work well for Baking.
Question about cooking pots and skillets? Since storage is always a important issue what are other people using for a teflon coated set that fits together to take up less space? I need get a set.
Thanks, Jim
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Patty Daydream showed us a high quality set of pots and pans she purchased recently that stow very well. I remember choking a bit when she described the cost. But what the heck, it's for the boat. You might try sending her a personal message if she fails to chirp up.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the outback oven and have backed a cake onboard. I have been a little cautious about using it on the wallas - afraid the tent cover will build too much heat on the ceramic top and maybe crack it. I have used it on a camp stove in the cockpit.

The oven works well but only browns on the side against the pan. I have even coked a small canned ham in the oven. The air-bake pan sounds like it could also work. I regularly bake cornbread just in a nonstick skillet with a lid on the wallas with low heat. Again only the bottom is browned but it works fine.

Steve
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. I'm chirping. These pots are terrific, but pricey. There's a dutch oven and three smaller pans in decending order of size. They come with one lid which is cleverly indented to fit tightly on each of the three saucepans. There is a frypan which fits upsidedown on top of the dutch oven to act as a lid for that. They come with removeable handles so they all nestle together just beautifully. And they are heavy, high quality. You can get them with or without teflon. I got mine at the Armchair Sailor on Westlake in Seattle. Very classy marine store.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty: Is this the set your purchased?

http://store1.yimg.com/I/armchairsailorseattle_1869_25172248

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
SonnyAK

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Crock Pot? Reply with quote

Do any of you use a small crock pot on your C-Dory?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhalerGoFar wrote:
Patty: Is this the set your purchased?

http://store1.yimg.com/I/armchairsailorseattle_1869_25172248

Those are cool but from Patty's description, I think that these are the ones she means.

Roger
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Neither of those previous links took you to our cookware. This link is what we have, only in teflon for a mere $50 more! The handles are completely detached and there is only one lid making storage even easier. I forgot to mention the plastic storage lids that come with the set, too.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the Magma set, there's quite a difference between the Teflon and non-teflon versions shown here.

My wallet likes the Patty version better. Shocked

Don
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty again. Here's a better site with way cheaper prices. I paid $199 for my teflon set. Here it's only $139. The brand is "Galleyware."
Work Release

City/Region: Everett, Wa.
Vessel Name: Work Release
Photos: Work Release
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Baking Aboard Reply with quote

Thanks Patty,
I have been looking for a set like this for some time. This is what is so great about this site, Ask a question and you will get some good information.
Jim, Work Release
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Baking bread, muffins, cake on your Wallas Reply with quote

This weekend at Cathlamet I baked blueberry muffins on the Wallas on Amy and John’s boat, just for fun. Worked perfectly!

Here’s how:
Get yourself a dutch oven. We’ve had this one for 15 or 20 years and now it’s always on our boat except when we bring it in the house to fry fish:
Combo oven/fryer
http://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=699&framein=yes

Being aluminum it’s light weight and cleans up well. The base fits perfectly on the Wallas stove. The lid would double as a griddle but is slightly too big. The oven is perfect for frying up large batches of fish or doing a stir-fry meal. Its high sides keeps things from flying out.

Then use a baking pan on the inside like this:
NordicWare mini loaf bundt pan (also aluminum)
http://www.housewaresandbeyond.com/home/product/12694/Nordic_Ware_52737_Bundt_Mini_Loaf_Pan.html

I discovered this method when our boys were young and they both had birthdays on a three week trip traveling along Vancouver Island on a Bayliner. I made chocolate cakes using the dutch oven and mini loaf pan on an alcohol stove. I baked yeast bread with this system, too.

To discourage burning on the bottom I think it’s helpful to elevate the loaf pan a tad. I used a couple of metal butter knives placed on the bottom under the bundt pan. Make sure there’s enough room left for the bread to rise.

Turn on the Wallas. Mix up your mix. I like to pre-package my own from scratch mixes at home, but store-bought will work. Put the oven with lid on the Wallas and turn to high. Let it warm up a few minutes as you put the bread in the pans. If baking yeast bread, be sure to let it rise before warming the oven. When it’s hot on top, it’s ready. Put the bundt pan inside and cover. I turned the heat down a bit when it started to smell hot.

The only tricky part is knowing when it’s done. I go by smell and timing. It will take longer than in your conventional oven, maybe by a third. Avoid lifting the lid until you really think it’s ready, as it’ll take awhile to bring the oven temperature back up. But if it isn’t quite done, just cover and be patient. Keep in mind it likely won’t get as brown on top. The blueberry muffins came out perfectly, both the batch in the bundt pan and in the one in my AirBake 6-cup muffin pan that I could not find online.

There’s nothing quite like the smell of bread baking when you’re out in the wilderness!

- Rene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: