View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Ocean going (Tuna) advice Reply with quote

I've been boating for a long time, but in small boats (~16'). I'm planning to move up to a 22'. I'm interested in going out the in the ocean, but have no experience other than being on a Westport Salmon charter. I'm interested in going out for Tuna which is 50-100 miles out!

Can a 22' do that? Weather dependent?

If that's too far, what is a 22' capable of?

What's the first thing a newbie should know/do to prepare for going out in the ocean?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can go for Tuna in a 22. I have fished Tuna commercially and have about 5 years of west coast experience and I’m hesitant to go in my 25. Weather knowledge and boat handling skills, combine with safety and navigation knowledge and equipment are key. This is all before you learn about ocean temperatures, spotting signs of tuna and actually learning how to catch them. I’d like to go with some friends and charters a few times first but having two young kids makes it tough. Off California may be the easiest safest but I’m on Vancouver Island and the weather can change quickly. If you are determined and get a 22 find the c-brats and c-dory owners who do and others on Facebook and bloody decks and plan to travel with them.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 c-dory isn't the best boat for offshore west coast albacore fishing. The fishing grounds are a long ways out, and if conditions go south, it would pound you to death coming back in. Not to mention fuel capacity is an issue in a 22 going 100 miles offshore. It's been done, but you'd be better off in a heavier deeper V hull.

I have a friend that fishes Westport for Tuna. He runs a 26' SeaSport with a volvo diesel. That is a much more appropriate boat for this type of fishing IMO

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Can a 22' do that? Weather dependent?

If that's too far, what is a 22' capable of?

What's the first thing a newbie should know/do to prepare for going out in the ocean?"

YES and YES

Yes and More than you will want to take

Think Safety and have a Buddy Boat. Well at least for that kind of ocean.

And I agree, the 22 is probably not the best boat for 100 mile off shore tripping.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 does not have a self bailing cockpit. I would consider this essential for 'offshore" work.

Second is range--if you are serious about going 100 miles out--that will be in the vicinity of 5 hours out and back--10 hours of travel. Then how much fuel would you use when on the grounds? How about if you run into foul weather and you are pounding into it (most of the time breezes blow toward or up and down the coast, but there. are exceptions...

Rule of thumb is 1/3 of fuel out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 reserve.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had 3 trips out for albacore before I bought my 19. Once out 17 miles with a meathead local in a 22’ boat, never again, he was a complete idiot. He talked big but had no idea what he was doing & he had to stop another boat to ask how to get home!!! Once with experienced fishermen in a 19’ boat,40 miles out, very big swells & large ship traffic but ok & doable. Third time,60 miles out with a hotdogger in a nice 22’, concerning with lots of heavy fog banks & no radar!! All 3 boats were deep v. I Bought & rigged my 19 dreaming of albacore but ultimately reconsidered going out there in a flat bottom. There are many, many things that could go wrong out there & I ultimately reconsidered that madness. Far quicker, safer, cheaper & easier to buy tuna off a commercial boat and not put ones person & boat in jeopardy.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier and cheaper is not the point of any of my fishing and smoking! Tuna is in the cards some day did Island Magic, but lots of fish to catch before it happens.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
It's been done, but you'd be better off in a heavier deeper V hull.

Gotcha - so then do the hulls of the "ventures" and "Pro-Angler" model (shallow V, not Deep) buy you much when it comes to cutting through heavy seas at speed? Or are they just not anywhere close to the deeper V boats?
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: C-dory V's Reply with quote

For example:

https://gary5410.smugmug.com/C-Dory-21--Pro-Angler/Pro-Angler/i-GmV9jTK/A
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally poo-poo somebody's ideas, but this sounds like a bad one to me in all honesty. If I were considering doing something along the lines of what you are proposing with a trailable boat, I would want something with a deep v around 26-30 or so feet, capable of a 30kt cruise, and a 300 mile range. And even then, you will still have to carefully pick your days. 50-100 miles out is really far to run in a boat (like the 22) that isn't fast, doesn't hold that much gas, and can beat the crap out of you when it's rough. I know everyone on here says just go slower and it will be fine, and a lot of times they are right, but there are times where you cannot do that. I am always impressed with what the 22 will do and how much punishment it will take, but I don't think it is the right boat for what you are proposing - so many better choices.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this. First, honestly answer these questions, to yourself:

How much do you know about your boat and power source and have you
performed prior diligent inspection of each?
On the water, are you able to remedy problems with either should you need to?

How are your weather analysis/prediction skills?
What do you do if the weather varies suddenly from the predicted (local variation)?

Do you have communication ability beyond VHF range?

What would you place in your ditch bag?

Just first thoughts.

Aye.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my co-workers has a tuna boat out of Depoe Bay, OR. IIRC it's a 36' Bertram with twin diesels. Deep V, enough speed to "find" the tuna, enough range to "search" for the tuna and get home and 36 feet of offshore, blue water design.

The ocean is nothing to screw with...

Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Thank you everyone - next question... Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I've come to the conclusion that I won't be doing Tuna, at least not on my own.

My question has evolved to two more questions:

(a) How much difference do C-dory "Venture" (and pro-angler - see photo in previous message) hulls make over flat ones?

(b) Salmon are not very far offshore.. What about going out a short run for Salmon in a CD22?
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never went offshore for tuna but have taken a few 30 mile trips for halibut. Sometimes I can't even keep up with the charters. I've arrived at the spot only to see the deep v's leaving with their limits. A couple of the trips were 3 hours of hell getting there, catch a couple of halies and then 3 more hours of hell back. Our boats aren't made for wind chop on an ocean swell.

That said, a nice Whaler was fueling up today at the fuel docks while I was. After 3 days fishing he bought 127 gallons(2-300 hp mercs). After 4 days of fishing going out 20 plus miles each day I bought 76 gallons. Honda fuel flow gauges said I used 68.2 while traveling 224 miles. The kicker uses on average around 2 gallons per day.The Whaler captain said it takes him 1 gallon to go one mile. I usually get a little over 3 miles to a gallon on the ocean.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you everyone - next question... Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
Thank you everyone for your great advice! I've come to the conclusion that I won't be doing Tuna, at least not on my own.

My question has evolved to two more questions:

(a) How much difference do C-dory "Venture" (and pro-angler - see photo in previous message) hulls make over flat ones?

(b) Salmon are not very far offshore.. What about going out a short run for Salmon in a CD22?

I've never ridden in a pro-angler II but looking at the hull shape and design, I'd imagine it would be a bit smoother and faster. I don't know how much fuel they hold but overall the hull is a better design for offshore trips. The c-dory has a unique ride, and the venture is more similar to the traditional c-dory design than it is different. It handles very similarly, especially compared to other boats. Look at the Steigercraft, Seasport, Parker, Radon, Skagit Orca, that sortof boat for what you want to do. If it was me, I'd just enjoy my economical c-dory and take a charter for albacore when you're wanting to go out that far. Youll save thousands and have the best of both worlds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: