The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Upper Mississippi River C-Dory Trip - Sep. 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
Hi Colby.

We plan to rent a car in Alton, Illinois and drive back to St. Paul, Minnessota to pick up our trailer rigs. It is 536 miles back by road. We may have to stay overnight in St. Paul before we head back the next morning.

It is 265 nautical miles from Dubuque, Iowa back to Watergate Marina in St Paul. That is quite a round trip for you. We are staying at America Marine Marina in Dubuque.

It is also 378 NM back from Alton, Illinois to Dubuque, Iowa. That is also a considerable round trip in your boat.

Seems to me you would be better off staying with our group. Much less logistics for you, unless you want to put another 643 NM on your boat, essentially doubling our 13 day boat trip in nautical miles!

I live on the Mississippi , in Prescott, Wisconsin, 100 yards from where the St. Croix enters. Maybe 20 miles from Watergate. If you need some on-deck assistance from up here before, during, or after the trip, just let me know. I’ll PM you contact info.

It's something in the water!
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandpiper on Anura 16 - going on Mississippi River Cruise Ship. We will just be arriving Red Wing, Minnesota on 9/11/21. You are leaving that day from the same port.

What is the name of your Cruise Ship so we can look for you the next several days downriver?

Jim & Kath

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have over 500 miles to drive our trucks and empty trailers to get back to our boats. I have not done this before. I'm thinking the trailer will be bouncing on every little bump in the road.
What about lowering the tire pressure for the ride back. Maybe down to 30 psi. Would this help the ride? Is it a bad idea?

I'm also wondering if we will see any Invasive Species requirements or inspections on this trip? Maybe just at state line crossing where you need to have your drain plug removed.

Thanks,
Steve
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I have wondered about doing this too, and thought about some way to get the trailer up onto the truck, or in the case of more than one trailer, loading one onto the other. It might take some 4x4's but might save on beating the trailers to death.

I don't think lowering the tire pressure would hurt. But I would check with a tire guy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about lowering your tire pressures or a bouncy trailer. I towed my new trailer back from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin, a distance of a little over 600 miles without a boat on it. During the Snake and Columbia River cruise, I also towed my empty trailer from where we started down to Astoria, again a distance of about 500 miles. Yes, it will bounce just a bit more than if the boat was on it, but not so much that it was all that noticeable. And I'm not sure lowering tire pressures would make it bounce any less.
Along I80 or I40 I can not remember any invasive species inspection stations. I do remember leaving LAS on I15 south, at California's agriculture inspection station getting an invasive species inspection, but it was pretty straight forward. If you are traveling on I90 or 94, you will have inspection stations in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. There they will be looking for dry bilges and any indication of invasive species. And that your bilge plug is pulled. Most midwest states require boats to have bilge plugs pulled, even though the only inspections I have seen are rare at the boat ramps. Good idea to have the bilge plugs pulled anyway. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are heavy infestations of invasive species in the area of the cruise.

Although the trailers will bounce a little, we have towed many thousands of miles with empty trailers. One was a 1200 mile journey to pickup a C Dory 25, where we had the trailer built locally. Many were after staging. We had the car round trip for one day. Drove to the trailer, I drove the rig back, and Marie drove the rental car back. Had it in the lot before opening the next day, and keys into the box. Be sure and have all persons who may be driving the rental car listed.

Also I assume that Jim will have already arranged for that rental car.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for these guys (definitely not Huck and Jim, not even the Mississippi, but sort of Mark Twain-ish!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, it doesn't look good for me to clear September for the trip. Issue after issue keeps coming up, some I can hand off or delay, others not so easy. At this point I'm going to have to bow out of the trip. I will continue to to try to make it, but it doesn't look good for this year. Nevertheless, I will follow your adventure with great interest.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Gilbertsons

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Little Bit
Photos: Little Bit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Have you made your 5 boat max? I tried to send a private message through the site to get some more information but it has stayed in "Outbox" and has not moved over to the "Sent" column.

Can you email me a scottbgilbertson@gmail.com?

Thanks,
Scott & Barb
"Little Bit"
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott and Barb.

Welcome abord. I sent you a followup email.

Jim & Kath
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to trade my 22 lb Claw anchor for a 21 lb Delta. Anyone coming to the River cruise, or anyone that might be able to convince them to act as transporter, want to swap? Also have the MSD (toilet with integral tank) I'd being willing to send on it's way west if anyone wants it and one of the folks coming on the cruise are willing to haul it back. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: already said what you wanted Reply with quote

Colby, I have a Delta FastSet, at home on a shelf, but I don't remember the weight. Not there right now, but can check later. I won't be coming to the (anything midwest or farther east) River cruise, but if you don't get a better offer, PM me and by then I will have the weight.

You already said what you wanted, but I would through out this. I drug once, with the Delta, and and that was enough. That is when I switched to the Rocna. It has held in worse situations that the Delta was ever in.

Just my $.02 Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harvey. Thanks. Yeah, check the weight and if it's in the 20lb range, I'd swap with you if we could work it out without dealing with postage. lol. I currently have a 14 lb Delta that I am quite happy with. Only had it drag once, and that was in some 60mph gusts last week in the UP. (Wow, what a storm! I had just set anchor, and in the end used the motor to hold the bow into the wind.) The boat came with a 22 lb claw. I tried it and didn't really care for it. The next size up Delta is 21 or 22 lbs. For now my 14 is working fine, except for that one time last week! But it would be nice to go one size larger. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Yup, it only takes one time doesn't it Rolling Eyes

I didn't like the physics of the Delta from the get go, but it was infinitely better than the Bruce. And (IMHO) not quite as good as the Rocna (Spade shape versus plow) and you don't have to add the extra weight. But then, I was using long chain (70 feet) and did not change that from anchor to anchor.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five more days until we start the trip down the Mississippi. I believe the two west coast guys and gals were leaving this morning for the long haul out. Not sure when Little Bit and Cat Claw were going to head out. But sending all of you thoughts for safe travels. I'll see all of you in St. Paul on the 10th. I believe the water levels are still on the low side, but I think the main channel is still navigable by the commercial tows, so should be no problem for us! Smile Weather looks good this week, with highs in the 80s and low in the 50s. Kind of like California. lol. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: