The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Upper Mississippi River C-Dory Trip - Sep. 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All:

Still looking for a few more boats to join us on the Upper Mississippi. Right now we have 3 boats for sure and maybe a 4th (Dr. Lewis) that is dependent on his health condition at the time.

Dr. Bob if you do not do the Erie Canal as your last trip consider our Upper Mississippi River trip (Mark Twain's Big River C-Dory Cruise). We would love to have you on your last cruise. Who knows, it could also be my last cruise. One never knows.

Again, it would be great to have someone from the Midwest go for local knowledge.

Did you know that Mark Twain means a measured river depth of two fathoms ( 12 feet), safe water for a steamboat!

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Bob has previously bailed off the Mississippi when it was flooding, and told all of us about it.

By September, a lot could change, but what won’t change is that every C-Brat will do anything and everything they can to help make sure that Bob and Marie have their last C-Dory adventure (whichever one they choose) be absolutely the best!

And thanks for your long-distance research. It’s the best I’ve ever seen. Whoever joins you should appreciate it.

Safe travels to all!

John and Eileen, at the south end of Cayuga Lake

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that this year may be a good year for this trip.

What little research I have done, looks like the upper Mississippi area is dryer than normal so far. I realize that what has been happening so far does not mean it will stay the same.

From what I can tell, the big impact of wet weather has been mostly east of the Mississippi. What I don't know is if any of that water could impact our trip?

The 10 day forecasts show a few days with possible thunderstorms but mostly mild weather, but we still have more than 6 weeks before getting on the water.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Kath,

I asked my wife (Carmen) if she was interested in this trip, lo and behold a surprise, she said definitely. So if spot #5 is still open, we'd like to join you. Should be a great time of the year, fall colors coming in too. I'll check with Alex to see if he's interested as well.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you on board Steve and Carman. I will send you our detailed itinerary and some references to consider getting. I will send it by email. Fantastic to have a big C-Dory join us!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I just came across this. I've been up in Isle Royale National Park the last two weeks, with very little cell service. (ie, no data!) And now I'm at one of my wife's brothers lake side cottages for the weekend, where I still have poor cell reception. I'll have to go back and read this thread closer to see what your exact plans are, but I may be interested in doing this trip with you guys. I have some experience on the Mississippi River from Winona down to St. Louis. Rather I come or not, the most important advice I can share is to be very aware of the wing dams. The tows monitor and use ch. 13. Colby
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby.

Hope you can come. Good to have someone from the Midwest go.

Jim & Kath
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m giving it serious consideration. Looking at my charts I’ve actually been as far as Hudson then continued up the St. Croix. September should be a good time to be on the Mississippi. Past Meet in the Middle gatherings were always the first weekend after Labor Day. Sometimes the River was low, but that only made launching a bit harder and some wing dams more visable. I’ll look at the trip closer when I get back home and let you know sometime during the week. But I think there is a good chance I’ll join if room.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for those that haven't, but would like to, you can download the entire Upper Mississippi River Chart book at:
https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Navigation-Charts/Upper-Mississippi-River/
Near the top of the page on the left is a link to download the entire book. Regarding Alton, it is a beautiful marina. Even has a hot tub. Nice place to end up. Enjoy the hot tub and some very nice showers before heading back for the rigs. Also a nice visitor center at the Mel Price Lock and Dam if it's open. And when we got a tour there, everyone found that very interesting. Alton has several good restaurants as well. Dubuque has become somewhat of a partying marina, at least the Dubuque Yacht Basin. It may be noisy on a weekend night. There is a very good restaurant there, Catfish Charlies. However, right next to the River Museum, which I highly recommend worth a visit, is a smaller and quiet marina. That one is behind flood gates named the Port of Dubuque Marina. Not usually a problem in September. The Clinton marina wasn't all that impressive when we held a gathering there. And the slips are perpendicular to the current. Makes for fun docking. There are several interesting towns worth walking thru if time allows. Guttenburg is one of the many. I mentioned the wing dams earlier. They extend out at a slight angle from the shore, and serve the purpose of channeling the river water to help keep the main channel scoured out for the minimum of 9' draft for the tows. They are not always accurately marked in the charts, and usually lie just below the water's surface. If going to a sandy shore to beach for lunch, do it straight in, and slowly. (And be aware of your drift.) I'll admit nothing else on the Mississippi River scares me more than the wing dams. Stay in the main channel between the buoys and they are not a problem. If any of the marinas are in the off channels, be certain of the entrance. There are some narrow channels, some with bends, and if a group of boats have to pass or overtake a tow, it's courteous to give them a call on 13, let them know your intentions and see if they have a preferred side to pass on. Especially if approaching a bend. Tow terminology on the water, on the one, or one whistle means go to right, on the two or two whistle means go to the left. (At least that's how I remember it. For more official wording, you'll have to look it up in regs. Mr. Green )
Jim, what are your plans for returning for the rigs? I'm considering another option of launching at Dubuque, as there is a nice park I've used there before. But running upriver to join you guys, and then back up river after arriving in Alton, would probably cost more in boat fuel than sharing a rental and rig gas to make the drive. Colby
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby and friends (not that Colby isn’t a friend)

I find that the easiest way for us to remember the ‘see you on the one’ rules is this:

Regardless of whether you are OVERTAKING or MEETING HEAD ON, one whistle means that you steer your boat to starboard (to the right for Colby).

Still waiting at the bottom of Cayuga Lake for locks CS1-E35 to open,

John and Eileen
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby.

We plan to rent a car in Alton, Illinois and drive back to St. Paul, Minnessota to pick up our trailer rigs. It is 536 miles back by road. We may have to stay overnight in St. Paul before we head back the next morning.

It is 265 nautical miles from Dubuque, Iowa back to Watergate Marina in St Paul. That is quite a round trip for you. We are staying at America Marine Marina in Dubuque.

It is also 378 NM back from Alton, Illinois to Dubuque, Iowa. That is also a considerable round trip in your boat.

Seems to me you would be better off staying with our group. Much less logistics for you, unless you want to put another 643 NM on your boat, essentially doubling our 13 day boat trip in nautical miles!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Colby and friends (not that Colby isn’t a friend)

I find that the easiest way for us to remember the ‘see you on the one’ rules is this:

Regardless of whether you are OVERTAKING or MEETING HEAD ON, one whistle means that you steer your boat to starboard (to the right for Colby).

Still waiting at the bottom of Cayuga Lake for locks CS1-E35 to open,

John and Eileen

Laughing Laughing Laughing
John, that one got me today. Rolling Eyes I just did a move for a gal from our church. One of her friends who was helping with her truck and trailer is considerably directionally challenged, (N.S, E, & W and also Right and Left) are constantly mixed up SO , , , , She has to use Drivers side or passenger side to know which way to turn. Teased her a bit today, and then I saw this and thought YIKES, if she ever got on a C-Dory she would be constantly going the wrong way Shocked Twisted Evil

Had heard about Corrigan but didn't know that was real until a few years ago.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
...We plan to rent a car in Alton, Illinois and drive back to St. Paul, Minnessota to pick up our trailer rigs. It is 536 miles back by road. We may have to stay overnight in St. Paul before we head back the next morning.

You need to plan carefully for a rental car these days. They can be very pricey and hard to come by. Also, one way rentals are more difficult and can involve extra fees (unless you are going between certain cities).

FWIW, I rented a car a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. It was over $200/day.

They say you might be better renting a U-Haul (or other moving type company) truck or van than going with a conventional rental car company. These companies are also more friendly to one way rentals.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason I said right and left. I started with Starboard and port. But I didn't want folks to confuse direction with rather I was talking about the side of their boat or the side of the overtaken or passed tow. So whatever works for you, if the tow tells you on the one or one whistle, turn to your starboard side, or right. On the two, or two whistle, turn to your port side or left. This always works. Much better than trying to remember if it's your port to his/her starboard, or your starboard to his/her port, or your port to his/her port or your starboard to his/her starboard. (All depending upon if you are passing or overtaking. Now, if you are being overtaken, you have to remember it's the overtaking vessels turning to port or starboard. Muddy enough? lol. Sorry I made this all so confusing. Colby Mr. Green

BTW Jim, you can sign me up. It'll just be me as Rosanne is working. I'm still working on logistics, but I will likely travel with you from at least Prescott (the confluence with the St. Croix, if not the entire distance.) The unknown will be if I will need to travel with you to get the rigs.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Colby. PM your email to me and I will send you an itinerary of our trip. Also provide your cell phone number.

Jim & Kath
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: