What boat would you move up to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the Camano Troll's, and size-wise they are probably perfect. But the stairs to the bridge make the flybridge mostly unusable with our dog and I don't believe the lower station is really set up for two people to have good forward seating underway. Meaning one at the helm and the other in a co-pilot seat. In the Camano, one is at the helm and the other is basically sitting on the settee. I haven't been on one though...the settee may have great visibility and be a nice place to ride.

Some of the other options look great but I should've mentioned my price point is around 100k max!

I need to get on a TomCat to see how much larger the cabin is.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" . . . but I should've mentioned my price point is around 100k max!"

Yup, Should mentioned that. Might not be moving up , , , , much Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

curioustraveler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. That's why you really can't beat the C-Dory. For the price, I have a cabin that really isn't that much smaller (seemingly) than some much more expensive boats.

But there are some options for 100-120k, I just don't know if they're worth the extra $$ considering in about 9 years we'd like to buy our actual retirement boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Camano Troll would work because you can customize it with folding or pedestal high seats for both navigator and captain. I had a similar 32' Carver which was a prototype of the Carver 32. It had an aft cabin which slept 3, a V berth, stall shower, and full head, plus galley down. The Pilot house was a blank slate, we put in folding high chairs, and then a futon. Very versatile. Could also use low folding chairs for seating in port or at anchor.

I think that one of the two Nordic Tugs in Tennessee or LA would be the best "investment"--for resale value. As well as the Camano Troll.

I don't see the dog as a big a problem as you do. We have cruised in all sorts of boats with two labs. For our 42 foot Symbol MY, Sundeck I used the dinghy crane davit to hoist our labs up from the dinghy when they got old. I made a platform of plywood, Crossed nylon straps under the platform, and then stapled sunbrella sides around. I left the opening in the front, with a draw string so it was fully secure. We also had a lab with us on the 62 footer, and until she got too old and sick she would climb a boarding ladder which was straight up. The freeboard there was about 6'.
The other option is a cleated light weight slanted ladder with carpet between the cleats. We made one of very light door skin plywood, and it would take our weight, plus motor bikes--used in many fashions, including as a passerelle.

Even with the TC 255, you don't really. have any more living space than the C Dory 25--yes the bunk is bigger, but the rest of the cabin is about the same. Our 25 with the cutout port bulkhead has a more open feeling than the standard boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carver 32 Aft Cabin was my family's dream boat for years when I was a kid. We eventually purchased the Carver 33, which was really 38 LOA but during the luxury tax of the 90's, Carver managed to sell it as a 33. Great boat. My parents still have have it.

I agree the Nordic's on Yacht World are great options but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. We're loving Curious Traveler and I'm researching what are some possible future options.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks amazing video down the page

https://arrowcat.com/models/arrowcat-320/
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
But there are some options for 100-120k...

Well that eliminates a Nordhavn...

Wink

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with the arrow cat is the main cabin is just too tight on space. You have to walk around the captains chair to get any where. Susan and I looked at them really good but just did not like the lay out. For a big boat it seems cramped in the one space you will spend most of your time.

After thinking about it you might want to find a tolly or bayliner 28 to 32 that has been repowered or can be repowered.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Camano 31s are awesome. I had one. Very well built and great riding boat. You'll be cruising in the 10kt range though. Much slower that a C Dory.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now my '22 is the best boat for me. Living in landlocked Alberta with few suitable lakes for cruiser type boats, means that I have to travel long distances to boat. So pulling the boat to remote places like the Yukon (where I bought the boat) to Lake Powell and Vancouver Island is just normal for me when boating. Pulling my boat behind my F350 is a dream, I hardly notice it there until I have to stop somewhere and park. My near future boating plans have me travelling every year, somewhere. Vancouver Island this summer (Broughton Archipelago and Nootka Sound), Prince Rupert and Kitimat, BC, Alaska, Great Slave Lake and maybe Baja, Mexico. Someday, once I sell the ranch and fully retire, perhaps on Vancouver Island and don't need to pull the boat as far, I may consider a bigger boat. When my only decision for most of my boating is where to launch off Vancouver Island, then I will be happy to have a bigger boat. This might be a Tomcat or it might be a Ranger Tug 27. I would like to have something a little bigger with more interior comfort for longer cruises, a bigger bed, a little more elbow room. But I still want a boat that I can pull out of the water between cruises, move around the island more. I like to 22 for it's ability to get into tight places, not need much water to float in and still be safe and comfortable. To me it is kind of a floating hybrid of a Jeep and a VW camping van. This works for me at this stage in my life, but we will see what the future holds.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
You'll be cruising in the 10kt range though. Much slower that a C Dory.

I have come to accept that as doable, especially if one is retired and has the time. Hell, even 8 knots would be fine in the right boat. Especially, if one considers fuel burn and the current state of fuel prices. If I could go 8 knots on a nice, luxurious trawler and burn 2 GPH vs 13 knots on a power boat that is burning 6-7 GPH...
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Boats to move up to Reply with quote

I too consider this as we just moved down from a 51'. Right now boats to add to the stable, Camano Troll, American Tug 34', Nordic Tug (37'-42'), Don't care for any of the high powered planing boats that are on the market. I have no desire to spend that kind of money to get out to the fishing grounds.

I also realize that I only have a few more years with my 12 year old so whatever keeps him involved and enjoying the experience.
Life goals, environment (area we live), budget, etc all have influences on boat choices. I'd even go for a full displacement later in life as we draw closer to retirement. For the next five to 10 years our time will be exchanged for speed. So for today the C-Dory/Venture is a great boat for us.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
The Camano 31s are awesome. I had one. Very well built and great riding boat. You'll be cruising in the 10kt range though. Much slower that a C Dory.

One of my happiest speeds 7-9 knots.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Much slower that a C Dory.

I have two speeds that I cruise at most commonly and where me and the boat seems to be happy. That being about 6 knots and 12 knots. I have no reason to go faster as you miss the view.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thing about the Nordic Tugs is that most can be pushed up to 15 knots. Mostly used for rarer safety runs as the fuel consumption goes up mightily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: