View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Safe truck & trailer parking for a Delta/SF Bay cruise Reply with quote

I am trying to plan a cruise of the Sacramento Delta and the San Francisco Bay. Any recommendations for a marina to launch at and leave the truck and trailer for about a week? I know the Delta cruise uses Rio Vista, just wondering if there is any other good marinas closer to the bay.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can work out arrangements with Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito. It’s pricey and not an easy stressless drive there with the boat in tow. I would not recommend anyplace in Vallejo, or Berkeley. When we lived in Alameda I tried a few times to arrange temporary storage in a local boat storage yard and they absolutely wouldn’t hear of it despite having ample room. I suspect the marina in Rio Vista might be your best location, or Brannan Island State Park. One other thought is the little marina in Suisun, at the north end of Suisun Slough. They have a great launch ramp that’s little used with tons of parking and we did store there for 3 days without incident. I’d definitely check with the harbor master first. Cruising the slough has an old delta feel. Just make sure you enter the slough thru the new engineered cut and not the natural (now obstructed) entrance.

Rob
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We toured the Sacramento Delta a couple of years ago. May I point out that the summer is the hottest time of the year in the Delta which is having a heat wave. We ended up at Sauslito and Alemeda, which is a lot cooler but far away from the Delta.

Anyway, we launched at Rio Vista, which has a decent launch ramp and is on the edge of the Delta. We had 2 options to store the boat & trailer. First, one can store the rig in the marina's storage yard. I think they charge $15/day. Second, one can store the rig at Rio Vista Mini Storage, (707-374_2007.) I think it was $70/mo, so we stored it there. It's a mile or so back to the boat. There are several other storage yards nearby, your pick.

Also, we finished the trip by going up Sisun Slough to Sisun City and pulled out there. We took the bus back to Rio Vista and the lady driver was nice enough to drop us off at the storage yard entrance. Obviously we drove the rig back to the boat. If you go up to Sisun City, tell us if the lady who blows a horn and yells at you to stay under 5 knots is still there. And she means 5, not 6.

If you go through Sisun Bay when it's windy, Montezuma Slough is a good bypass to avoid the waves in the bay. We also were the only boat moored in the Meadows, a change from the last time we were there (30 years ago.)

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Rio Vista when I was there for the "Extravaganza" cruise a few years back. It is a great launch site, (interesting) and certainly doable. They do have a washdown area. Launching is easier at mid to high tide. Nice folks there at the marina. I did enjoy it but it was HOT when I was there and it wasn't even h o t there yet, at least that is what they told me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the times I went on the Delta Cruise, I was towing the C Dory 25 behind a 30' RV--and the ramp at the Rio Vista Marina was just too cramped for that rig. I want to Brannan Island State Park. The ramp is described below:

Quote:
Brannan Island is located between the two major river systems and gives easy access to a huge area of the Delta. A six lane launch ramp is open 24 hours a day and offers, restrooms, hot coin-operated showers, a pay phone, picnic area and a safe well lighted area to park vehicles and boat trailers while you're on the river. The launch ramp is adjacent to the boat berths, where 32 slips are available for overnight use. The boat berths come with either a walk-in camp site or a recreational vehicle site. One launch ramp is wheelchair accessable. Launch fees are $5.00 per day. Parking is an additional $8.00 per day. Boat berth fees vary with the season. Call the park for current fees.

The marina may now be closed?? At the time I launched, I left my RV and the trailer parked by the Ranger's trailer at the Marina--it was secure for a week,

One of our favorite places in the Delta is Locke Slough. Bow to the abandoned railroad embankment and under the shade of the large Oak trees. We took a sailboat with 7' draft in there easily. It is only a short walk to the historic town of Locke--and only a little further to the trans Delta Canal, and then to Walnut Grove.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Mijo

City/Region: San jose
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A safe place that you can use is bethel Harbor Marina (https://www.bethelharbor.com). It’s privately owned and secure. I used to dry dock my boats there and never had a problem. They have limited RV camping there also. The owner Jamie is super nice and it’s a family run business. Boats are launched off an elevator style lift that takes your boat trailer down to the water and the boat floats off. Give them a call and see if you can park your boat and truck for an extended period. I’m sure they can take you. They also have a gas station on the water.
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably too late to help the OP, but Oxbow Marina near Isleton is another option. They have a launch ramp, locked storage yard, fuel dock, guest berths, etc. And they’re located on Georgiana Slough, one of the most beautiful areas of the Delta and centrally located.

BTW, I’m happy to answer any other questions about the Delta. Wife & I have been boating liveaboards there for 2 years and I’ve explored it from the land side for more than 20 as a journalist.
chieftele

City/Region: Placerville
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Rose Bud
Photos: Rose Bud
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad wrote:
Probably too late to help the OP, but Oxbow Marina near Isleton is another option. They have a launch ramp, locked storage yard, fuel dock, guest berths, etc. And they’re located on Georgiana Slough, one of the most beautiful areas of the Delta and centrally located.

BTW, I’m happy to answer any other questions about the Delta. Wife & I have been boating liveaboards there for 2 years and I’ve explored it from the land side for more than 20 as a journalist.

That place looks nice, even for day launching. How quickly can you get to the main stem of the Sac from there? Looks like you have to go up to Walnut Grove, or down through the San Juaquin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: