View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solesurfer

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Need Help With Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I recently went to upgrade my old JBL MR-17 stereo to a Sony DSX-M55BT, primarily for having bluetooth capabilities.
In my haste, I forgot to take a picture of how the old JBL stereo was hooked up and now I have a little dilemma.

I have a red and yellow wire coming from my boat. The yellow wire attaches to what I think is a ground plate on the back of my switch panel. The red wires seems to go to the accessory switch on the panel. Below are pictures of where they connect behind the switch panel.

Out of the radio(with the manual's explanation) I have:
Black = To battery or ground distribution block
Red = ACC, To the +12 V power terminal which is energized when the ignition switch is set to the accessory position,
if there is no accessory position, connect to the +12 V power (battery) terminal which is energized at all times. Be sure to connect the black ground lead to the battery first.
Yellow = BATTERY, To the +12 V power terminal which is energized at all times

The only configuration I have that works is:
Black to yellow from boat
Red and yellow to red from boat

This powers the radio when I turn the batteries on, but when I turn them off, the stereo power is shut off and the memory goes out. I understand I'm not connecting a wire that always has power so the stereo can remember the time. The old JBL always kept the time and this was never an issue. I can't figure out what the right combo is, without it not working or blowing the fuse on the stereo(already went through 3, lol).
I do have a multimeter albeit I don't 100% understand what I'm doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I don't want ANY drain on my batteries that I do not have SWITCHED on. So, I wouldn't worry about the time being right on the stereo, but that might mean you also won't have the station memory, which in my case I have a few that I know the number to, and some I have written down and dial manually. Yup, that's a pain, but not nearly as much as when you go to start the boat and the battery is D E A D from a parasitic clock power drain.

Some Stereo systems (used to - at least) have a way to maintain that memory stuff with a 9 VDC "transistor" battery.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross posted - I answered in the Electrical and Wiring forum
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
Solesurfer

City/Region: Ventura
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
For me, I don't want ANY drain on my batteries that I do not have SWITCHED on. So, I wouldn't worry about the time being right on the stereo, but that might mean you also won't have the station memory, which in my case I have a few that I know the number to, and some I have written down and dial manually. Yup, that's a pain, but not nearly as much as when you go to start the boat and the battery is D E A D from a parasitic clock power drain.

Some Stereo systems (used to - at least) have a way to maintain that memory stuff with a 9 VDC "transistor" battery.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

The biggest problem with losing memory is when it is powered on, the stereo goes into demo mode which is pretty annoying.
I wonder if the old JBL had a special battery that saved time and presets. I have the manual and have been looking it over, but there is no mention of another battery involved.
In storage or at dock, I'm always trickle charging so I'm not terribly concerned about the power draw.

2006 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
Dual Honda BF90's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: